Bachmann Europe 2022 results

1andrew1

On 01/07/2023 at 09:32, Ron Ron Ron said:

If you’re curious, here’s the 2023/24  catalogue……

https://liliput.de/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/Liliput_Katalog_2023_72dpi.pdf

Interesting at 158 pages with Liliput being seen on the Continent as a minor player.  The stuff is good, but the N-gauge stuff is not as robust as it was by some margin, sadly.

The Fleischmann N-gauge new items brochure runs to 92 pages,  How big is Farish's?  For that matter how many pages do the OO Bachmann new items take?  Has anyone even seen a printed new items brochure from Bachmann UK?

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 01/07/2023 at 09:32, Ron Ron Ron said:

If you’re curious, here’s the 2023/24  catalogue……

https://liliput.de/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/Liliput_Katalog_2023_72dpi.pdf

Zipping through it, thinking nothing in it for me until I reached page 101 - a little shunter with DCC controlled couplings.

If they can do that for Lilliput, why can't they do that for Farish!!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Zipping through it, thinking nothing in it for me until I reached page 101 - a little shunter with DCC controlled couplings.

If they can do that for Lilliput, why can't they do that for Farish!!

I wonder if it's the same designers working on both?

16 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I wonder if it's the same designers working on both?

As they are all made in Kader factories, you'd think there would be shared engineering and ethos.

I am guessing they baulked at the cost for the UK market - the shunter was about the size of an 03/04.

• RMweb Premium
On 01/07/2023 at 14:49, adb968008 said:

Maybe one pertinent point,..

UK corporation tax.. 25%

Hong kong Corp Tax.. 16.5%

if you were a multinational which one would you prefer to be posting profits, and.. which one would you be posting losses (Which become deferred against future tax, and which become an asset)

Agreed , but there are laws against this sort of thing . It’s called “Transfer Pricing “ and the UK Inland Revenue are fully aware . But you are correct , looking just at Bachmann Uk shows what they make in UK but not necessarily profitability of the whole model as there is profit earned in both UK and Hong Kong . 

Bachmann are a successful model company though . They know their market well, how much they can extract from it  and maximise revenue . Looks like in general they have a pretty good idea of how much to make and that’s pretty impressive flying against some really good competition from Accruascale in particular, and Heljan to some extent . 

There is a stark contrast with Hornby which as I have said over in their thread , seem to lack direction. They are all over the place in the market . They have a Tier system to allocate sales to retailers because they can’t make enough , yet have an inventory of something they seemingly find difficult to shift . 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The shunter is smaller — at least lower in height — than an 03 or 04. It hasn't been introduced yet though.

The Fleischmann new items brochure may run to 92 pages, but many of these are reliveries of existing models. The days when the models came out on time are long gone. I was disappointed by the design of the new Pwgs41 too — there isn't enough room for the coupling to lift, and it seems to snag the adjacent coupling in the way some Dapol models used to do.

There have actually been quite a lot of new Farish items this year — particularly during the May quarterly announcements. Probably as many as Fleischmann have actually delivered — some of their releases are about two years overdue. I think Bachmann’s approach makes most sense in the current circumstances.

There are regular new items leaflets for all the Bachmann brands — but you do have to belong to the collector’s club to get them. And the leading model shops regularly email information about new items, if you want.