Zimo MN170 issue

WIMorrison

I hard-wired a Zimo MN170 into a loco that I bought over the weekend at the excellent Perth show and I am having a couple of issues. The loco is a Bemo SWEG v22-02.

Before I installed the decoder I serviced the loco and ran the it forwards and backwards for around an hour on DC because it was clear that the loco hadn’t been used for a whil (if ever!). It was running very smoothly after the running in period.

I installed the MN170 into the loco (removed the suppression capacitor and the two chokes) and ran it on DCC for a period (10mins), and again it ran well at full chat. I have found that to make it start I need to set CV2 at 100 which gives me a speed of 4.35kph on SS1 and I have CV5 at 150 to give a max speed of 40kph (prototypically correct) with CV57 set to 130.

The real problem is that despite CV29 =  14 (126 speed steps, DC enabled, and Railcom) the loco will not run on DC. This is an issue for me as I use DC to clean and service locos.

The loco is running well, just not on DC, anyone any suggestions?

• RMweb Gold

Iain what value in cv12? Should be 117 in the earlier Mn German manual, that appears to be another DC selection. If it’s an even number there appears to be a dc lock out?

would be

bit 0, 2, 4, 5 & 6 on

IMG_5296.jpeg.8b318af4a0728f6fe29c09430e95d912.jpeg

Checking the decoder CV12 = 127 and the translation of the manual suggests that is OK (why is there no value for Bit 1 or 3, despite them being on?) However it would appear with it being Odd that DC is enabled here. I think that for my use it could actually be 5 as I will never be using the other formats.

Bit 0 - DC analog operation 0 = disabled 1 = enabled 
Bit 2 - DCC always 1 = enabled 
Bit 4 - AC analog operation 0 = disabled 1 = enabled 
Bit 5 - MM 0 = disabled 1 = enabled 
Bit 6 - mfx 0 = disabled 1 = enabled Value 0 = all formats on

The software shows as v4.229 (CV7+CV65) - now is that more or less than v4.5? The fact that DC doesn't work might suggest that this may be the issue.

Do you know where the firmware is kept for the MN decoders (can't see it on the website) and also whether the Z21 can update the MN series?

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

The software shows as v4.229 (CV7+CV65) - now is that more or less than v4.5? The fact that DC doesn't work might suggest that this may be the issue.

It’s less think of it as 4.2 so the software appears to be the issue even though cv12 is correct. 

Not sure on that Paul - reading this page would suggest that 4.229 is the latest version and that it is significantly ahead of v4.50 (and I can't see any mention of DC only working after v4.50 :(

MS & MN Decoder Software Update (zimo.at)

Edit - good news is that the Z21 opens the file and shows that 4.229 is the correct version, and I expect that it will update decoder - though no point as it is already at latest version.

Perhaps a mail to Zimo (with a request for an English translation of the manual!)

Edited by WIMorrison

• RMweb Gold

Zimo count up then go back down and start up again? Well that’s original! 😆 I just noticed the cv12 apparent other lock out in the old mn manual I had on file, also on their site, so I’m out of ideas I’m afraid. 

You can translate it using google camera a screenshot at a time, probably faster than waiting on a Zimo translation. 

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, WIMorrison said:

I think that they simply count up from 1, therefore 229 is higher than 50 😀.

Yes unusual way of doing it to what I’m used to where the third and fourth numbers are just sub versions of 4.1, 4.2, 4.5 etc 

Should really be 4-50, 4-229 rather than using a decimal point. 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Yes unusual way of doing it to what I’m used to where the third and fourth numbers are just sub versions of 4.1, 4.2, 4.5 etc 

Should really be 4-50, 4-229 rather than using a decimal point

But in Austria, Germany, and other parts of Europe, they use a decimal comma!

etc.

John P

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jpendle said:

But in Austria, Germany, and other parts of Europe, they use a decimal comma!

etc.

John P

Zimo’s list looks like a decimal point to me 😉

IMG_5337.jpeg.5e1806a149a7671bf26d9b94d0a392c9.jpeg

17 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Should really be 4-50, 4-229 rather than using a decimal point. 

Standard for software versioning though. Version 1.10 is higher than version 1.9 as leading zeroes for each part are suppressed. Think of it as two numbers (major and minor) separated by a dot.

Edited by Jim Easterbrook
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

It appears that a default CV#12 value of 127 is incorrect and this value *may* cause an issue (so why is it the value in a new decoder?). I have changed the value to 5 (DC+DCC) and it now works, though there is another issue because the motor doesn't start instantly when DC power is applied.

I have checked CV#14 and the value of 67 should be making F0 and F1 available for DC, and switching off CV#3 and CV#4 when running on DC (1+2+64). It doesn't seem like CV#3 and CV#4 are being applied, it is simply that the motor has an obvious delay before starting to turn, almost as if the decoder needs to time to think about reacting to DC.

• 1 month later...