Wiring in a Hornby R7150 decoder

Ken H

I'm intrigued by the R7150 decoder.  It says it is a sound decoder and has all the features of the Hornby standard R8249.  Does this mean you get both a DCC controller and sound in the one package?  When I look at the instructions for installing any decoder in my R30039 Thomas loco, the drawing 

HornbyWiring3.jpg.732ba2cd4c1dac7d4535982dc6a8a169.jpg

... is very different from what I see before me.  One capacitor instead of three illustrated.  I'll get my R7150 decoder on the 10th.  I'll see what it has for instructions.  I've written to Hornby Loco Restoration but the online comments box doesn't have any sort of way to SEND, and the email address given doesn't seem to actually work. 

The product description is:  "The Hornby TTS (twin track sound) decoder offers a great alternative for those modellers that would like to add sound, but at a more affordable price. Our TTS decoder offers a minimum of 16 realistic sound functions, With many specific to the chosen model. These can include whistles, horns, start-up, idle, cold start, in motion sounds and many more. The decoder also possesses all of the features attributed to our popular R8249 decoder."

Hornby R7150 package.jpg

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, Ken H said:

The product description is:  "The Hornby TTS (twin track sound) decoder offers a great alternative for those modellers that would like to add sound, but at a more affordable price. Our TTS decoder offers a minimum of 16 realistic sound functions, With many specific to the chosen model. These can include whistles, horns, start-up, idle, cold start, in motion sounds and many more. The decoder also possesses all of the features attributed to our popular R8249 decoder."

Hornby R7150 package.jpg

The product description you have posted is not that of the R7150 decoder.

This is the Amazon description of the R7150:

"The Hornby TTS (twin track sound) decoder offers a great alternative for those modellers that would like to add sound, but at a more affordable price. Our TTS decoder offers a minimum of 16 realistic sound functions, With many specific to the chosen model. These can include whistles, horns, start-up, idle, cold start, in motion sounds and many more. The decoder also possesses all of the features attributed to our popular R8249 decoder."

Unfortunately, the Hornby Train Restorations site promises answers, and tells you to write them.  Strangely they have a box in which to write your questions, but I can find no way to send that question.  It lacks a SEND button.  Not even just hitting RETURN/ENTER works.  They also include an email address:  service@Hornby-railway-trains.co.uk.  I've written to this email address several times in the last two weeks.  No reply even though I included my email address as requested.

If there is no sound, I guess I'll have to return it.  Too bad, because it took only about three days to get here (SoCal) from the UK.  Other Hornby decoders sound like they have better features.

Edited by Ken H
Incorrect part number

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Ken H said:

This is the Amazon description of the R70150:

"The Hornby TTS (twin track sound) decoder offers a great alternative for those modellers that would like to add sound, but at a more affordable price. Our TTS decoder offers a minimum of 16 realistic sound functions, With many specific to the chosen model. These can include whistles, horns, start-up, idle, cold start, in motion sounds and many more. The decoder also possesses all of the features attributed to our popular R8249 decoder."

Unfortunately, the Hornby Train Restorations site promises answers, and tells you to write them.  Strangely they have a box in which to write your questions, but I can find no way to send that question.  It lacks a SEND button.  Not even just hitting RETURN/ENTER works.  They also include an email address:  service@Hornby-railway-trains.co.uk.  I've written to this email address several times in the last two weeks.  No reply even though I included my email address as requested.

If there is no sound, I guess I'll have to return it.  Too bad, because it took only about three days to get here (SoCal) from the UK.  Other Hornby decoders sound like they have better features.

Seems to me pretty obvious that Amazon's description of the product is wrong and if you're unhappy about this you should complain to Amazon. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Ken H said:

This is the Amazon description of the R70150:

That says R70150, not R7150. These would be 2 distinctly separate products but ...

I heard Hornby had started to use 5 digit product codes now but cannot find R70150 listed anywhere.

As mentioned earlier, R7150 is a 6 pin decoder with no sound.

Hornby TTS decoders provide the same functionality as their R8249, but with the addition of sound. The R8249 is not a very well featured decoder compared to similarly priced & very superior alternatives like the MX600R from Zimo. TTS also has a few limitations compared to Zimo & ESU products, but at around 2/5 of the cost, I think it is fair to accept their limitations.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

That says R70150, not R7150. These would be 2 distinctly separate products but ...

I heard Hornby had started to use 5 digit product codes now but cannot find R70150 listed anywhere.

It's just a typo - see the OP's first post. 

Yes, I am having trouble with the Hornby part numbers.  I did add a zero.  It should be R7150.  *I've edited just now, a month later.*  I finally looked at the pin out for the decoder.  Six pins and no sign of a speaker out, so no sound.  Too bad. DHL got it to me in 3 days from Heathrow, and it's useless.  I'll go to my local train store.  The guy knows DCC and can get my R30039 Thomas running and sounding great.  Now all I need is a bigger cab for my O scale crew.  Being On30, at least the rail gauge is right.

Thanks for the reality check.

Edited by Ken H