Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Mass cull of ticket offices

• RMweb Gold

Yes, the cut back was for platform residual asbestos removal  and took longer than expected - surprised !  The new service puts back so now chances of doubling sets gone as no float to use - and 2 sets go for refurb shortly making it harder but as there is not enough staff not to worry as cancellations and strategic simplification at control level to provide a robust service will be enacted. 

Levels of evening drunken abuse across the network increases with "European effect tat markets" so no vols for late trains at this time... you reap what is sown.. 

With some recent changes as a result of industrial action the use of voyagers is now limited on the turbo routes just to make it harder - and no it is not union based restrictive practices but a safety directive from on high!! 

Robert  

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/12/2023 at 10:49, adb968008 said:

You should try up north…

The ticket inspectors were stood at the carriage doors of an EMR Sheffield to London service last month, checking tickets at the door before you board… thats a new experience for me.

I decided to test it, by opting after initial inspection to change my mind and choose the next carriage down to avoid a crush and heyho the guy was waiting to check tickets at that door too… (only 4 doors available on the 222 in the platform at Sheffield.. they blocked you from walking down the platform).

it was a fairly full train, 9pm midweek train but no apparent event to suggest why this approach was taken, other than checking every ticket before you stepped on, I didnt see anyone turned away either… after departure the TTI came through the train again and double checked everyone (well triple if you consider the Station gateline too).

I was 'attended' by such zealots when changing off a branch train some years ago.  No indication of who or what they were but obviously some kind of contractor doing a job for FGW (or whoever they were called at the time(.  I madea mistake and showed them the wrong item in my wallet but upside down and as they didn't even notice it was nothing to do with rail travel.   I then found the correct item and showed them that upside down at which point they waved me through.  i don't think they had the first idea what a ticket or pass really looked like - total waste of space and money.

When we get Ticket Inspectors on the branchs it's very entertaining as folk produce last week's (or last month's) ticket - assuming they have one at all - and try to get away with it.  Shame theh Inspectors don't jump the branch much more frequently.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

So what was the reason for the service reduction in the first place ?

https://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/travel-updates-information/major-engineering-work/birmingham-new-street-2023

Going to be interesting seeing what was becoming a fairly full 5 car morning service fit into three come my next commute on Wednesday.

Edited by 41516
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, 41516 said:

https://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/travel-updates-information/major-engineering-work/birmingham-new-street-2023

Going to be interesting seeing what was becoming a fairly full 5 car morning service fit into three come my next commute on Wednesday.

You have to remember the mantra - "nobody is travelling these days", so no income no, wage increase and stock can be stood down.  Rather than considering network benefits cost minimisation still occupies the tiny minds in Whitehall, having sold off our rolling stock into private hands the cutback in stock is one of the few places where our money can be saved. The "horrific" costs of keeping booking offices open has to be saved somewhere ! 

Robert  

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, 41516 said:

Looking  now at Realtime Trains,the “new service “ appears to be running smoothly. But as expected now with separate 2 car and 3 car 170. God help those travelling through Birmingham over the festive season. 

Back to 2 car? Crikey. XC had got the extra centre cars to extend more 170s to 3 car a few years ago and 2 car units became (thankfully) less common on the Cardiff/Birmingham-Nottingham route which certainly helped.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 41516 said:

Back to 2 car? Crikey. XC had got the extra centre cars to extend more 170s to 3 car a few years ago and 2 car units became (thankfully) less common on the Cardiff/Birmingham-Nottingham route which certainly helped.

These  extra 6 vehicles amazingly taken out of existing 3 cars of LM 170 fleet added to 2 cars and via works to get to same spec only got XC back to where it should have been when it was "given" the central services, it had always been 6 vehicles light on planned stock levels , laughingly XC was offered 6 153 vehicles to work a Leicester- Brum service group a while back - no crews sign and only 75 mph  sets totally stupid and offer kindly declined. just a few years earlier ( hindsight police alert) it would have been possible to get some 170 style MS vehicles on end of Chiltern order but no such luck. As discussed at work all the 170 fleet need bolstering to 4 cars - while they would need reworking down to XC standards the potential Chiltern fleet changes might mean vehicles available in the next 5 years- which does not really help at BHM  when you cannot get on the 16.49, 17.22 etc services this evening! 

The LM 170s have almost all gone to East midlands replaced by the 172/ 197 fleets  until something worse comes along !! 

• Friendly/supportive 2