Helland Wharf

Mike_Walker

Very nice scenic work. The transition of the road into the backscene using photography is very effective. I've long thought the location there (which I've only ever seen photos of) would be an attractive and effective way of masking the exit of track into a fiddle yard with the two buildings on either side, both of which are rather more interesting than usual.

I look forward to seeing the rest of the layout.

David C

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mike_Walker said:

Another view of 30585, this time bringing the loaded clay wagons back to Boscarne Junction.

IMG_20230714_161847MP.jpg.862ef3184cfec3353612968668711c7d.jpg

This photo shows what, to my mind. is frequently forgotten with infilled track and that is to fill in the slots as much as you can without fouling the wheel flanges. Look at any prototype situation and these slots fill up with dirt etc. Spoils an otherwise very nice view.

Andrew

Edited by Sitham Yard
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I appreciate where you are coming from and I agree that it does let things down a little when viewed from this angle and range but it's not so noticeable at "normal viewing distance" and angles.  The problem I had was that the Beatties have very limited ground clearance and it took some time to remove any high spots in the infill to get them to run smoothly over this piece of track so I'm loathe to start filling in again and go back to square one!

Perhaps a coat of light grey paint might make the chairs less visible.

Edited by Mike_Walker
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 14/07/2023 at 14:50, Mike_Walker said:

Having received a number of likes in response to my recent post in “Realistic Modelling” I feel it’s time to start a thread on my current project Helland Wharf.

It’s a deliberately simple layout which started out as no more than a photo plank but has evolved into a portable layout which can fit in a Mk3 Focus.  It is inspired by this classic Peter Gray image.

X1989_BRS30585Helland13-7-61.jpg.103c3ee6a7b76a844fa668818fc92217.jpg

To make it a bit more interesting I have included the siding which was closed and lifted in 1960 but for operating purposes I plan to exercise Rule 1 and use both Beattie Well tanks, WR 1366 panniers and even 03 shunters.

Helland-1.jpg.7cc50a34fbdea44bcac4daa30feb6158.jpg

Inspired by others use of shelves, I used a 1200 x 250 x 15 shelf from Homebase for the main, scenic section with matching 450 shelves at each end providing basic off-scene representations of the Dunmere and Wenford ends of the line.  A lightweight frame was added to the underside to accommodate the wiring (which is simple in the extreme – analogue, no DCC hereabouts) and the DCC Concepts dowels to locate the three sections.

I started off by constructing the two iconic cottages that flank the line here.  The one on the right of Peter Gray’s photo is called Hollyhock Cottage today (and that’s what I call it even if it was something else back then) and is actually one of a semi-detached pair but I only have space for one.  It is an interesting building which has obviously been altered many times over the years.  Fortunately, there are many photos of Helland on the web so I was able to discover how it appeared in my time frame (it has since undergone further modernisation) which enabled me to create a drawing as a first step.

The other, Cobbler’s Cottage, is even more interesting in that it appears to be a single storey dwelling above a storage area, the whole building being set into the hillside.  Again, it has obviously been extended and modernised over the years but sufficient photographic evidence can be found to show what it was like in my period.

Both were built using my preferred method, a shell constructed out of multiple layers of 2mm card faced with Plasticard then painted with acrylics.  The windows were printed out onto self-adhesive labels and then cut out with a very sharp knife – new blade!  The rooves are both covered with Scale Model Scenery’s weathered slates which I think are excellent.

Here’s the front wall of Hollyhock Cottage and below, the shell of Cobbler’s Cottage under construction.

IMG_20230102_154136.jpg.2c7c1c5d95d4ceb3c8d9fbf72d2f9fcd.jpg

IMG_20230201_112850.jpg.4ef669ffab30888805dfcf73675849f9.jpg

The two completed cottages, gardens excepted.

IMG_20230206_145814_1.jpg.543ad9022cff4b616ddeaa17d3d1d311.jpg

With those done it was time to start on the layout proper.  The track is Peco bullhead with a medium radius point laid on 3mm cork sheet.

Wanting to keep things as simple as possible, I've chosen to keep the point hand operated (as was the prototype!) using a simple slide mechanism that will be invisible once the ground cover is finished/

IMG_20230503_135841.jpg.56dd5fa3b93cc3ef6cf09ac46cbf8a4a.jpg

Next the various backscene boards were added and which have since been painted.

IMG_20230605_143542.jpg.6a28f166230cb283ed007c75ab9ece41.jpg

And so to the scenics starting with the road and crossing…

One thing I wanted to achieve was a seemingly joint less transition of the road into the backscene.  This was achieved by taking a screenshot of Google’s Streetview image of the lane which, fortunately, hasn’t changed. 

Hellandlane.jpg.f2bc776f466c7c90fa2a353d91aaa286.jpg

This was then played with in Photoshop to get the scale right and to extend the road surface sufficiently to allow it to reach the rails.  Fortunately, the lane climbs quite steeply beyond the cottage although on the layout it rises vertically!  However, as the lane can only be viewed directly and not from the sides this isn’t a problem.

IMG_20230711_095605MP.jpg.2953cafc87da928ff3501654b19c795e.jpg

IMG_20230712_125713.jpg.e483923ac601e9cab64c7ab63b21ad13.jpg

Work continues towards Dunmere.  Stay tuned…

Even taken from a higher angle that road still looks right.... very well done

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Mike_Walker said:

I appreciate where you are coming from and I agree that it does let things down a little when viewed from this angle and range but it's not so noticeable at "normal viewing distance" and angles.  The problem I had was that the Beatties have very limited ground clearance and it took some time to remove any high spots in the infill to get them to run smoothly over this piece of track so I'm loathe to start filling in again and go back to square one!

Understood. probably best to fill up to at least the top of the sleepers before any infilling if not to top of the chairs.

Andrew

6 hours ago, Mike_Walker said:

This would help; but you're clear to fill the flangeways at least to chair-top and still be fine with the Well Tank:

1.jpg.c06e1662b5a741d0f1f86f3445f290e8.j

1.jpg.d45b998dc13643ff61fcdfc9e16f0692.j

6.jpg.0e56326cd937c0b4033731f9158f7d88.j

Please excuse the rough state of things in pics and vid, they were taken to illustrate other things.

Hopefully they show that as long as you clear the flangeways and check the outside edge of the rail too (I use a steel rule for both jobs) then you're all good. More than can be said for EFEs quality control...!

HTH 

• Like 6

The problem with infilled track is that the chairs or whatever rail fastenings you're using remain visible and it is there which makes views such as the one of the Beattie tank crossing the crossing (!) not terribly realistic. I avoided a similar problem on my Bavarian layout by making up short lengths of track consisting of Peco code 75 FB rail soldered to PCB sleepers, thus eliminating chairs altogether. Appearance wise, It looks a lot better than using ordinary Peco track, but I still ran into a problem. Fleischmann H0 locos have deep flanges and whilst 2 of the 3 I have don't have a problem negotiating the PCB track, the newest (a big brute of a 2-8-2T) invariably stalls as it moves onto it. Probably the infill needs a little trimming. 

In your case, I suspect you wont think it is worth ripping up the track and scenic work, particularly if the end on view is difficult to see. Whatever, it is a very nice layout.

David C 

• Informative/Useful 2

18 hours ago, Mike_Walker said:

any suggestions as to what to use

Wary of giving advice to such a fine modeller as yourself, but after a fair amount of experiment 'chinchilla powder'* and DAS clay are now my go-to media.

I think I'd go with the powder in your case - it's easily (and cleanly) applied, simple to get to the desired level with brush or even running a heavy wagon through a couple of times, and can be secured with a dilute glue mix (I've settled on around 30%) making it super easy to adjust once dry. It even takes paint washes pretty well if you want to lighten or darken it later.

FWIW, if not too worried about the finest tolerances my standard approach for fully inset track is now

• Clean the rails (Servisol Super 10)
  • Apply chinchilla powder to rail-top height (applying too much and then level off with a block of wood is easier than trying to get it perfect)
  • Clear flangeways (I've got an old Dapol wagon which I fill with lead shot and push back and forth by hand)
  • Fix (soak in IPA and then glue mix), applied to the rails to avoid disturbing the powder too much. This settles the powder, lowering the level slightly, as does the contraction of the PVA as it dries
  • Once dry, run the steel rule edge-on along the flangeways - you'll be able to feel the chairs, and I've found this a quick and easy way to make sure the flangeways are consistently wide and deep. 
  • Clean rails (more cotton buds and Servisol, followed by a wipe with a graphite stick to take the shine off and improve conductivity)
  • Enjoy!

*Made from only the finest sun-ripened chinchillas etc etc etc

• Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

What a lovely little layout - can't believe I hadn't spotted it before.  I especially like how you've blended the road from the crossing into the backscene.  Very cleverly done, and something I'll be trying on my next layout.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

I've often wondered how the various sidings on the branch were worked given they were only accessible from one direction. Did they ever drop wagons off on the branch and run them into the siding by gravity?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not sure, I've assumed they simply took any traffic up to Wenford then shunted on the way back.  As far as I know, it was generally up hill all the way to Wenford so running wagons into the siding by gravity might have been a little tricky.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Mike_Walker said:

Not sure, I've assumed they simply took any traffic up to Wenford then shunted on the way back.  

That's my understanding - on most lines, the pick-up goods would go both ways (especially on a dead-end branch, where it has to!) - so they'd just shunt each station/siding when passing in whichever direction was easiest, with the wagons marshalled in an appropriate order beforehand.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Morning Mike. 

Just read through the thread on what is a little cracker of a layout. 

I'd agree with the veg situation. If you've used the cauliflowers etc from Tasma Products, the N gauge jobs are more in keeping with 4mm. I've looked at both and would go this way myself. 

Great stuff and a layout that one is keeping one's beady eye on.........

Rob

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A few more images...

IMG_20230914_115312MP.jpg.8319b0ef0e62c497bc6cc718090c8b75.jpg

I think Ben Ashworth must have visited Cornwall.

IMG_20230914_120443MP.jpg.066586243c1c27fd891f12fbe38e7922.jpg

Here's my version of the Peter Gray classic at the start of this thread.  I can't get the angle quite right as I'm having to poke the lens through the hole in the backscene.

IMG_20230914_120643MP.jpg.bbab6b490de95a403a7a38e076c53cef.jpg

30586 has been along as well.

IMG_20230914_115013MP.jpg.fa6d4d533c6d4502176acc948c21e382.jpg

I must get some crews from Modelu.

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1