Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Backscene application tips

• RMweb Gold

I am trying to apply the backscene to my new layout (its an iD backscene photo one), and I've done it twice now and had the same problem of the bottom not ending up parallel to the board, so that by the time I reach the end there is a good 1cm gap between the board and the bottom of the backscene. I now have two sheets, one of top of each other, both of which suffer from the same problem. 

I've started off from the join of the two boards, aligning the edge of the backscene with the edge of the backscene (the boards are Tim Horn's laser cut boards, so I'm confident that its a right angle), but somehow the backscene keeps rising up as it gets applied to the back board. 

Anyone else had similar problems, and any tips on how to do this correctly to avoid this issue? Feeling incredibly frustrated. 

• RMweb Gold

If I'm understanding the problem correctly, the bottom edges of the photographic backscene are tapering upwards from the rear edge of the baseboards the further away from the central baseboard join you attempt to attach them.  Possible reasons:-

1) The boards are not level.  As they are laser-cut they can be assumed to be correclty at 90degrees to the legs, but the floor may not be 100% level, which means that there may be a change in level at the join.

2) (more likely) The backscene prints are not completely square, possibly a registering problem in the printing process, or inaccuracy in the cutting process.

Possible solutions:-

1) Establish that the tops of your baseboards are level with a spirit level. 

2) Lay the backscene prints out flat and check the corner angles (cheap schoolkids geometry set good enough for this).

3) If the backscenes are not properly square, either mount them a little lower, behind the rear baseboard edge to disguise the anomaly, or disguise the gap with scenery; bushes, buildings, whatever looks right in the location.

The backscenes need to be mounted flat on something rigid, hardboard for example, or will tend to sag or stretch out of shape slightly, which could be what is causing your problem. 

Blending backscenes in visually to the modelled area in the foreground is something of an art.  One method is to assume there is unseen lower ground between the rear of the modelled area and the backscene, a river valley perhaps; 'Black Country Blues' layout does this very effectively as an example, 'Arun Quay', with it's misty greyness and muddy creek is another.  Even Borchester does this, the colliery branch diverging on a viaduct with the town scene behind it. 

Another is to hide the join with foiliage or buildings; the principle is much the same, there is something high enough to block the view of the mid-range area between foreground and background, maybe a mile or so of land that is assumed to exist but doesn't.  It is possible to achieve a very effective blending by sloping or gently curving the model up at the rear to merge apparently seamlessly (there is a seam in reality of course), but this requires a great deal of skill and management of lighting and sightlines, not to mention an artist's understanding of perspective and composition of the scene.

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Gold

All good tips, but none applicable in this case - its not that the boards are not level, or not joining correctly, apologies if I didn't explain the situation correctly.

I am applying each sheet on a single board, beginning at the point where the two boards join. Somehow, I manage to apply the sheets to the rear backboard in such a way that they are not parallel to the board, creating a gradually increasing gap at the bottom, and a corresponding smaller gap at the top.

• RMweb Gold

I use ID backscenes attached direct to the drywall of the room, and I also unintentionally ended up with it at an angle.    However it didn't matter because I only use the 'scenic' part of the backscene and not the sky.

To avoid joins in the sky and also non matching clouds I paint a sky direct onto the drywall and then having carefully cut out the 'scenic' lower part of the backscene, attach this.

Now the only joint is where backscenes meet and strategically  placed trees or buildings hide the join.  This technique has also allowed me to use two ID backscenes together that don't actually  match.

20230723_202554.jpg.45981fe3f7e5d35afa838b6f1959988e.jpg

Edited to add picture.

Can you see the join?

Edited by Colin_McLeod
  • Informative/Useful 1