Davy Crockett cowcatcher

• RMweb Premium

Help. I have been trying to locate a cowcatcher for the Triang/Hornby R358 Davy Crockett wild west loco. I have found pictures of resin-3D repros but no links to the items.Can anybody point me in the right direction to obtain one please ?

R358 cowcatcher.jpg

One of my two needs a cowcatcher, but both need the headlamp, which doesn't seem to be available. The original isn't up to much however and I was thinking of making them as 'proper' lamps from plastic sheet.

The second one was bought as  spares for the first, but I can never resist a restoration....

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

One of my two needs a cowcatcher, but both need the headlamp, which doesn't seem to be available. The original isn't up to much however and I was thinking of making them as 'proper' lamps from plastic sheet.

The second one was bought as  spares for the first, but I can never resist a restoration....

Hi Il Grifone, 

Thats my problem as well. Its one of the reasons I ended up with 3 Hornby Dublo cranes. Bought one for restoration and 2 as spares. And this is what happened.

DSC_0913.JPG

DSC_0910.JPG

DSC_0914.JPG

DSC_0908.JPG

• Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Do Bachmann do spares for the Wild West locos?

I think those old Airfix locos may have been closer to 3.5mm scale than the Triang ones? 

{ I have an Airfix version, it looks very twee when compared to anything from Triang.}

Of course, if a pilot isn't forthcoming, then one could always forward-date the Triang item, paint it back, and fit a switcher pilot?

{Flat pilot beam, steps and  a coupler release bar?}

17 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Do Bachmann do spares for the Wild West locos? The ones that Airfix released under licence in the 1970s.

No use if you want it to be authentic to the Triang original but might be worth looking at.

Jason

Not that I know of. Their spares tend to be for current production. There could be a scale problem too The Bachmann are H0, but Tri-ang's efforts are a generous 00.

Apparently Moguls tend to be late in U.S. history (c!870) awaiting the invention of a swivelling leading pony truck. Previous attempts with side play play in the leading axle having been prone to derailment on what passed for track over there.

Edited by Il Grifone

5 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

Cheapo, Chinese train set loco's are invariably wild west types, so cut them off those!

Just now, Il Grifone said:

Not that I know of. Their spares tend to be for current production. There could be a scale problem too The Bachmann are H0, but Tri-ang's efforts are a generous 00

Still in the catalogue.

I was mainly thinking about the cowcatcher and lamp. They look much better than Triang's effort.

Jason

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, 33C said:

Cheapo, Chinese train set loco's are invariably wild west types, so cut them off those!

I've got a Mehano one somewhere with an 0-4-0 locomotive and four wheel coaches (obviously of central European style). It came with cardboard cut-outs on the box for a 'Wild West' town. IIRC she has switcher type end steps.

Similar to this one

Sam is being rather unkind - there are far worse things out there! IIRC I paid 10,000 lire for mine in Porto Palazzo market in Turin in the eighties. It didn't come with the plastic hill (butte?) or the Penn Central hopper car though. It works doesn't it? What more do you want?

Spaghetti Westerns (as mentioned in the comments) were usually shot in Spain. Apart from the style of the rolling stock, the wide gauge is a give away!

EDIT

I wish i hadn't looked up the Bachmann bits. I feel an attack on the wallet coming on.

I DO NOT NEED ANY MORE TRAINS! I DO NOT NEED ANY MORE TRAINS! I DO NOT NEED ANY MORE TRAINS! I DO NOT NEED....

Edited by Il Grifone

1 hour ago, Il Grifone said:

I've got a Mehano one somewhere with an 0-4-0 locomotive and four wheel coaches (obviously of central European style). It came with cardboard cut-outs on the box for a 'Wild West' town. IIRC she has switcher type end steps.

Similar to this one

Sam is being rather unkind - there are far worse things out there! IIRC I paid 10,000 lire for mine in Porto Palazzo market in Turin in the eighties. It didn't come with the plastic hill (butte?) or the Penn Central hopper car though. It works doesn't it? What more do you want?

Spaghetti Westerns (as mentioned in the comments) were usually shot in Spain. Apart from the style of the rolling stock, the wide gauge is a give away!

EDIT

I wish i hadn't looked up the Bachmann bits. I feel an attack on the wallet coming on.

I DO NOT NEED ANY MORE TRAINS! I DO NOT NEED ANY MORE TRAINS! I DO NOT NEED ANY MORE TRAINS! I DO NOT NEED....

Yes you do, lots of trains....

Go on, go on, go on, go on.....

• Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Il Grifone said:

Similar to this one

EDIT

Railway scenes often were. Almeria and Granada I believe. Same place they filmed the railway scenes in North West Frontier.

Duck, You Sucker!/Fistful Of Dynamite is another one with railway scenes filmed there.

I think it was because most places that were suitable climate wise such as Italy had modernised, but Spain was still under the Franco regime which hadn't.

That's where they also got the German planes for the Battle Of Britain film. Imagine finding 32 air worthy Heinkels now!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Britain_(film)#Aircraft

Jason

21 hours ago, JZ said:

There Bachmann replacement cow catchers on Shapeways, along with headlamps.

The Bachmann and cheap  plastic set versions are  too small, as I found out as they are H0 and  the Triang is 00 at least height wise but its ridiculously long for a US Mogul.   It's a really horrible  creation, I hesitate to call it a model.   I have two  nice 4-6-0 with a standard body on a Princess chassis with Jinty wheels if you ignore the cab full of motor, and  a 4-4-0 with a shortened body and shortened chassis but again it's not H0 scale  more like  00 or Trix 3.8mm  or a mixture of all three.   I now want a couple of bodies to make a 2-8-0 version or two .

My other suggestion would be to see what Precision Scale have to offer. These are cast brass and around $10 -$15, plus postage from the US. You will have to know exactly what you want as the catalogue is sparse on details like size and narrow gauge types are mixed in with standard. 

9 hours ago, DCB said:

The Bachmann and cheap  plastic set versions are  too small, as I found out as they are H0 and  the Triang is 00 at least height wise but its ridiculously long for a US Mogul.   It's a really horrible  creation, I hesitate to call it a model.   I have two  nice 4-6-0 with a standard body on a Princess chassis with Jinty wheels if you ignore the cab full of motor, and  a 4-4-0 with a shortened body and shortened chassis but again it's not H0 scale  more like  00 or Trix 3.8mm  or a mixture of all three.   I now want a couple of bodies to make a 2-8-0 version or two .

She's been stretched to fit the 0-6-0T chassis and utilise the 3MT* pony truck. Really the leading coupled axles should be closer together and there is rather too much overhang at the front. Proper crossheads and slide bars rather than Tri-ang's cut price horrors would be a great improvement too!

* This also suffers from the stretching procedure. Since they made a new chassis for it, there was no real excuse.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

My investigation into possible prototypes showed it is really a not unreasonable model.

It appears that Joy valve gear was typical, but I couldn't find clear enough pictures to confirm.

• RMweb Premium
On 30/07/2023 at 06:29, JZ said:

My other suggestion would be to see what Precision Scale have to offer. These are cast brass and around $10 -$15, plus postage from the US. You will have to know exactly what you want as the catalogue is sparse on details like size and narrow gauge types are mixed in with standard. 

I recently made reference to Precision Scale in another context, so I will repeat my enquiry here. Does anyone know of a UK importer of Precision Scale products?

Alternatively, would any kind person in the USA be prepared to purchase Precision Scale valve gear rivets for me, and forward them to the UK? The international postal rates charged by PS are prohibitive, just for tiny valve gear rivets that can be enclosed in a letter.

I would like to purchase five packs each of Precision Scale items 137, 139 & 318 (HO valve gear rivets).

If anyone is willing to do this, I can reimburse you via PayPal Friends and Family; I can also make it worth your while with some of my decals, free of charge!

Thanks in anticipation,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I recently made reference to Precision Scale in another context, so I will repeat my enquiry here. Does anyone know of a UK importer of Precision Scale products?

Alternatively, would any kind person in the USA be prepared to purchase Precision Scale valve gear rivets for me, and forward them to the UK? The international postal rates charged by PS are prohibitive, just for tiny valve gear rivets that can be enclosed in a letter.

I would like to purchase five packs each of Precision Scale items 137, 139 & 318 (HO valve gear rivets).

If anyone is willing to do this, I can reimburse you via PayPal Friends and Family; I can also make it worth your while with some of my decals, free of charge!

Thanks in anticipation,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

I contacted them directly when I ordered and they put it in a jiffy bag and paid the minimum of postage. But note that USPS international rates have skyrocketed. eg. My narrow gauge calendar. In 2021 in cost $7, in 2022 it would have been $27. I would have liked to buy it through the Galloping Goose Society, but they advised me to use Amazon.

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, JZ said:

I contacted them directly when I ordered and they put it in a jiffy bag and paid the minimum of postage. But note that USPS international rates have skyrocketed. eg. My narrow gauge calendar. In 2021 in cost $7, in 2022 it would have been $27. I would have liked to buy it through the Galloping Goose Society, but they advised me to use Amazon.

Thank you - I have just placed an order with PS, and asked them to despatch in a padded envelope so as to minimise postal charges - I await their invoice!

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Thank you - I have just placed an order with PS, and asked them to despatch in a padded envelope so as to minimise postal charges - I await their invoice!

John Isherwood.

Impressive !!!

Order confirmed by return; invoice sent within an hour; invoice paid seamlessly via Quickbooks; confirmation of payment received instantaneously; now awaiting delivery of order.

UK traders please take note!

John Isherwood.

• 2 months later...
On 30/07/2023 at 03:41, DCB said:

The real thing would probably have had a "deckless cab" ie a cab full of firebox! 

On 30/07/2023 at 03:41, DCB said:

Look for the Bachmann HOn3 moguls. I got as far as fitting-up a Bachmann body to a Hornby 28xx chassis. Quite liked the part. 

2 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Look for the Bachmann HOn3 moguls. I got as far as fitting-up a Bachmann body to a Hornby 28xx chassis. Quite liked the part. 

Do you mean On3? Bachmann do not produce any HOn3.