Metal wheel replacements for Triang Freightliners

Hi guys

Has anyone come up with a suitable metal wheel for the Triang/Hornby freightliner flats?

I measured the wheel as 25.7 mm across the pint point axel tips.

10.8mm over the tread and 12.65 over the large flanges.

I can't seem to find wheels that would fit, HO stuff has the right wheel profile but the axels are way too short.

Standard Hornby wagon wheels have the right axels but of course the wheels are 12.6 etc.

Thanks

The word TRIANG stats alarm bells clanging in my ears     I have several wagons of the plastic bogie  era and spreading of the frames is a real problem as they approach 60 years old.  They have gone hard and when sprung apart to remove the axles they don't spring back, likewise when sprung to insert axles the side frames don't spring back so the axles are loose, it's not something that can be cured.      The metal ones are also  fragile  now but the plastic ones spread apart and the axles eventually wear away the bearing dimple so the pin point axle end escapes.
As layout vehicles for regular service to be honest I would look to change the complete  bogies rather than simply change the axles

• Informative/Useful 1

For those in Australia, Steam Era Models have metal wheelsets in many different sizes and different axle lengths can be specified. The prices here are very reasonable, but postage to the other side of the world may kill the deal.

I can vouch that they work a treat as I used them in my old Triang/Hornby container wagons, before eventually replacing the wagons with the newer and better, Bachmann ones.

5 hours ago, DCB said:

The word TRIANG stats alarm bells clanging in my ears     I have several wagons of the plastic bogie  era and spreading of the frames is a real problem as they approach 60 years old.  They have gone hard and when sprung apart to remove the axles they don't spring back, likewise when sprung to insert axles the side frames don't spring back so the axles are loose, it's not something that can be cured.    ................................................

I have an unusual attraction for the old Graham Farish generic "Collett"(?) coaches in both corridor "mainline" and non-corridor "suburban" guises.  Unfortunately if retro fitting with later metal wheelsets such as from Hornby,  the axle length is too short and just the weight of the coach will have the wheel slip out of the bogie pinpoint bearing recess.  Unfortunately,  I damaged a couple of bogies by bending the sideframes in while the bogies were at room temperature.  Most were successful but having the occasional breakage had me looking for another method.  Initially I tried a heat gun but unfortunately the heat could be too much causing damage to the bogie moulding.  The most successful method was to pour hot water into a bowl and immerse the bogie for a couple of minutes,  keeping the coupler out of the water.  Once removed,  the bogie became more pliable and with the frames  adjusted inwards the bogie was immersed in cold water.   Perhaps this method may be used on the brittle Tri-ang bogies.

• 2 weeks later...