Why is it we love a punt on eBay ?

hayfield

9 hours ago, Sjcm said:

Yes but I presume you looked at the pictures and know more than the seller does which is how I like it when buying. Thing is, there are people in the kitbuilding section like yourself who pretty much have the skill set, knowledge and equipment to fix anything so the risk is less. Then there's the rest of us who can diagnose a fault and bodge a fix or buy a part. Then there's a growing(?) % of modellers judging by the repair video's on youtube who any sort of basic electrical or mechanical repair or service is akin to witchcraft. I sold a motor the other day and I spent literally hours fielding questions from 2 potential buyers asking how to fix them so they didn't have to buy mine😂. Not that I minded to be honest, but if I'm buying I'd much rather buy something off them than you😉

Sjcm

Thank you for the compliments, but far from having either a decent skill set of a superior knowledge, but the model railway fraternity is very good at sharing what they know

Well today the mystery package arrived and this id the photo I based my purchase on

Amoungst other things the etched loco kit and the flying banana shout buy me, but in the back of my mind the GWR railcar looks too short against the ruler for a 4mm kit

s-l1600.jpg

The 2 motors are my bankers, certainly an early K's HP2m motor and either a MV005/Airfix 1001 5 pole motor, these must fetch (if they work) £15. Then there are the 3 roller gauges but are they 009 or TT, either way good sellers. I don't know what the plastic wagons are worth. So now I know I can bid at least the £15 perhaps £25 without too much of a risk. In the end I paid £15 with free postage

The two etched kits are TT and I guess with the GWR Railcar its a scratch builders aid kit of body and sides, the LNER J25 loco kit is missing the boiler and chassis, there are some cast parts but no chimney it has instructions (no name on them)

In short The roller gauges are 12mm ideal for my Isle of Man stock and I will keep the Romford Bulldog motor as I may well marry it up with an early GEM LNWR loco kit I have, My £15 is safe as most of the items will go back on eBay, how good the TT kits will sell I have no idea, but if priced sensibly they will go, I will be happy if the roller gauges and Bulldog motor ends up being free

Last night I had another punt on some more etches. a pair of chassis either for a Bo Bo loco or D/EMU perhaps an 0-4=0 and a GCR/LNER J63 0-6-0T loco body for £14.99 inc free postage, this will be Ideal for my docklands layout.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hayfield said:

Sjcm

Thank you for the compliments, but far from having either a decent skill set of a superior knowledge, but the model railway fraternity is very good at sharing what they know

Well today the mystery package arrived and this id the photo I based my purchase on

Amoungst other things the etched loco kit and the flying banana shout buy me, but in the back of my mind the GWR railcar looks too short against the ruler for a 4mm kit

s-l1600.jpg

The 2 motors are my bankers, certainly an early K's HP2m motor and either a MV005/Airfix 1001 5 pole motor, these must fetch (if they work) £15. Then there are the 3 roller gauges but are they 009 or TT, either way good sellers. I don't know what the plastic wagons are worth. So now I know I can bid at least the £15 perhaps £25 without too much of a risk. In the end I paid £15 with free postage

The two etched kits are TT and I guess with the GWR Railcar its a scratch builders aid kit of body and sides, the LNER J25 loco kit is missing the boiler and chassis, there are some cast parts but no chimney it has instructions (no name on them)

In short The roller gauges are 12mm ideal for my Isle of Man stock and I will keep the Romford Bulldog motor as I may well marry it up with an early GEM LNWR loco kit I have, My £15 is safe as most of the items will go back on eBay, how good the TT kits will sell I have no idea, but if priced sensibly they will go, I will be happy if the roller gauges and Bulldog motor ends up being free

Last night I had another punt on some more etches. a pair of chassis either for a Bo Bo loco or D/EMU perhaps an 0-4=0 and a GCR/LNER J63 0-6-0T loco body for £14.99 inc free postage, this will be Ideal for my docklands layout.

See that's where your superior knowledge comes in. I would have clocked what the two motors were, but the rest, and whether it was reasonably complete or useable, not a chance.

11 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Is the DRC Worsley Works?

Never seen one, but I know they do one in 3MM scale which is more of a "scratch aid" than proper kit.

Jason

Jason

Thanks for the reply.  DRC confused me until I caught on as they are normally referred as GWR rail cars or flying bananas

My first guess was what you suggest with  it being a Worsley Works item, but they have a limited selection in 3mm and neither kit is shown, they do sides and ends in 4mm scale for several railcars and may have produced 3mm etches in the past from the art work. I will list them on the forum to ask about their origin

The second punt arrived today and fits in with my docklands layout perfectly

s-l1600.jpg

I am glad the title was wrong (ish) "Collection of White Metal 4mm Locomotive Parts OO Gauge Brass" 

And description wrong "Nice collection of white metal items which look to be in good order.  

Free UK p&p" was totally wrong

The loco body is a GER E22  /LNER J65, body line only and hopefully I can put a London Road Models chassis under it, if I don't have a spare J67 chassis and it fits, the cab roof is shot and footplate sides are missing, probably with other things, highly likely I will have most if nit all the castings. Possibly a Jedinco offering

The two loco chassis are incomplete M&L Metropolitan  4-4-0T chassis  Ref M&L 4/1, waiting to hear about whether CSP reintroduces the K's Milestone kit and if so what it includes 

• Like 1

With the dust settling and spending a bit of time understanding what I have bought and what I want to keep, they both seem to have come up trumps

Most of the first lot will be resold, first and foremost I have 3 x 12 mm roller gauges which I really need for my Isle of Man locos and a set of 12mm whitemetal bogies plus a couple of 5 plank wagons. I am keepling the Romford Bulldog motor but selling one of my MV/Airfix 5 pole motors

The second lot is mostly keepers with a GER E22 etched body kit and I will keep one of the M&L Met 4-4-0T chassis etches as CSP are looking into their K's 4-4-0T Metropolitan loco kit they bought from the previous owners. I doubt the chassis etches are worth much and may well not fit the old K's Milestones kit (if I buy one). The E22 body is incomplete but at £14.99 a bargain.

Well and truly got out of jail with these punts, may not have landed on Mayfair but looks like I have a few low cost if not free items

Now looking for the next punt   

• Like 1