Model Shops offering payment via installments

trainsandco

• Moderators
3 hours ago, woodenhead said:

It creates a perception that everyone is buying everything and puts pressures on others to try and keep up and of course there is the FOMO (fear of missing out) element that this social media marketing creates.

Mix in the tyre kickers I see, particularly on Facebook etc., who say they'll have it but can you wait until the end of the month when they get paid etc. By then they've decided they'll have something else instead or that all next month's money has been spoken for and think nothing of messing people about.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Mix in the tyre kickers I see, particularly on Facebook etc., who say they'll have it but can you wait until the end of the month when they get paid etc. By then they've decided they'll have something else instead or that all next month's money has been spoken for and think nothing of messing people about.

This is another part of why I don't pre-order much (I admit I do pre-order from time to time). If I pre-order (either from a shop or direct from a manufacturer) I consider it a committment which I have to honour. If I pre-order and the item is subsequently not delivered after the order was accepted I take a rather dim view of things, but that cuts both ways and the seller should reasonably expect the buyer to honour the order too. I don't know what my circumstances will be 6 months, a year or more down the line. Financial circumstances change, and although my interest in trains has been a constant since I was knee high my specific interests do wander around a bit.

• RMweb Premium

I find it interesting that when the latest shiny new model finally starts arriving at people's front doors, the next thing is a fair few posts across social media promptly offering them up for sale again, often with a 'accidentally ordered two by mistake' or 'have changed era/gauge/setting' excuse 'honestly' attached...

Two explanations - 1, they have just realised they have run out of readies or 2, they are buying purely to resell at a profit.

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 13/08/2023 at 03:46, John M Upton said:

Alternatively, learn from days of old, if you haven't got it, don't spend it.  There is a reason why credit and other related systems were known as 'The Never Never'...

With respect, you and I, and a lot of people here know that this is common sense but life is sometimes not that straight forward and what's simple to you and I may be a struggle for others to understand/accept due to their specific situation.

I was just reading about someone's financial difficulties on another forum and it's really eye-opening how people manage their finances (or not!)

Edited by OnTheBranchline
  • Like 1

There are very few shops selling items related to model railways near mem, so I go to shows or buy online, however as I am now retired, large purchases no longer happen, there are far more important things to make largish purchases, if someone were to follow a lot of other businesses and offer credit, some even offer interest free, they are the ones likely to get my business

• 2 months later...

@Michael Hodgson you have plenty of time to save up for a Jones Goods if that is what you mean by keeping up with the Jones! 😉

I have an account that I call slush fund where I stash money so that when I want a foreign rail trip or a new model I have the funds.

There are some folks who struggle to find funds when putting fuel into the car.

Currently I'm between jobs and have a few items on order as I know that I have money available.

Father in law wanted a GWR 15XX outside cyl Pannier.    I was  going to build one then a RTR one was announced and so we waited. He died before it was released. Good job he didn't pre order one.   Its back on my to do list    Hornby Dublo Diesel shunter chassis, bits of Brass, probably Bachmann 2251 and 8750 body parts  Hornby Dublo and  Hornby  bits.   Maybe even a K's Body,