C and W repair at New Found Out Siding in Warrington: information sought.

Will Crompton

• RMweb Gold
On 14/08/2023 at 14:28, GordonC said:

was the dive-under the WCML not electrified from Arpley Yard up to Bank Quay?

The dive under isn’t electrified, I think it’s still in use, I’ve certainly seen trains of megaboxes stabled on it regularly and have seen a 66 heading up it into bank quay fairly recently (within the last 5 years) in fact I think I’ve had a NR test train booked to use it in the past but couldn’t for some reason (I think it had something stabled on it)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The Rail Enthusiast magazine article was in issue 3 - Aug/Sep 1981. It refers to the wagon repair business being operational then, through the New Found Out underpass. It commonly dealt with the cripples arriving at Arpley and Walton Old Junction Yards, with repaired wagons being tripped back to the main yard at the time of the visit - a UKF pallet van with a new wheelset, a chemical tanker with new brake shoes and springs, and several MGR hoppers with new air brake hoses.

Edited by stovepipe
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Wading through railway pictures of Warrington on Flickr (it's a dirty job but somebody has to do it) I found this photo of a couple of tanker wagons poking out of the 'hole' into the sidings. It's from 'Stuart's Fots' photostream and was taken in 2008.

ICB 807794033-0, Warrington Arpley, 11th May 2008.

Edited by Will Crompton
Doh! forgot to put the picture link in.
  • Like 4

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I do apologise for bumping this topic, with it being 6 months old. But it’s something I was searching for!

I remember this siding well, there was a TTA and the end of a rake of wagons there for many years. I’d say that was there until at least 2007/2008, that’s the last time I saw it.

I remember them being there for at least 10 years previously rooted the spot, the TTA at least anyway. I remember my Dad driving right up them and that must have been late 90’s! 

I’ve got a photo somewhere, I’ll try and dig it one day!

IMG_0601

Here’s a link to a Flickr pic, courtesy of Flickr user tomsmithtommysmith 

• Like 5

On 06/02/2024 at 21:17, Shaun123 said:

I do apologise for bumping this topic, with it being 6 months old. But it’s something I was searching for!

I remember this siding well, there was a TTA and the end of a rake of wagons there for many years. I’d say that was there until at least 2007/2008, that’s the last time I saw it.

I remember them being there for at least 10 years previously rooted the spot, the TTA at least anyway. I remember my Dad driving right up them and that must have been late 90’s! 

I’ve got a photo somewhere, I’ll try and dig it one day!

IMG_0601

Here’s a link to a Flickr pic, courtesy of Flickr user tomsmithtommysmith 

Please don't apologise! I'm grateful for anything that people can contribute about this site. In fact I've found a couple of further bits of information recently and have been meaning to post them. I will try and do this in the next day or two.

As promised a few further snippets I have found by, in the spirit of 'shopping your own wardrobe/pantry/greenhouse', researching my own library. They are all from writings by David Ratcliffe.

1) From his book,  'Private-Owner Wagons in Colour for the Modeller and Historian (Ian Allan Publishing , 2009, ISBN 9780711033658). Pages 23 and 24 have details and pictures of tank vehicles used to convey china clay slurry to Crosfeild and Sons soap works. The traffic ended in 1991.

2) In his article 'Clay Slurry Tanks' in the bookazine, 'Modelling British Railways. Wagonload Formations' (Simon Bendall editor, Key Publishing, 2021). This has some further pictures and details. The traffic started in the mid 1970s and for a time also included ball clay slurry.

3) In his article 'Departmental tank wagons', in issue 231 of Rail Express, August 2015. The article has a picture of an ex Shell Mex/BP diesel fuel tank wagon (ADB999014) used to carry waste oil from Arpley locomotive stabling sidings to the C and W sidings where there was road access so that, I assume, the waste oil could be transferred to a road tanker.

The last of these interests me particularly if I ever get off my ar....er...erm......if I get around to building a little layout inspired by this location as it gives an excuse for some extra traffic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Will Crompton said:

1) From his book,  'Private-Owner Wagons in Colour for the Modeller and Historian (Ian Allan Publishing , 2009, ISBN 9780711033658). Pages 23 and 24 have details and pictures of tank vehicles used to convey china clay slurry to Crosfeild and Sons soap works. The traffic ended in 1991.

2) In his article 'Clay Slurry Tanks' in the bookazine, 'Modelling British Railways. Wagonload Formations' (Simon Bendall editor, Key Publishing, 2021). This has some further pictures and details. The traffic started in the mid 1970s and for a time also included ball clay slurry.

A couple of China Clay tanks in those sidings https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/stseeclagged/e3982d954   https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/stseeclagged/e31589fc6

• Thanks 1