Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EFE N gauge PBA Tiger wagons

davebem

I picked up 2 today, been waiting a long time for n gauge version of these and I want to start by saying how pleased I am with the look of them and quality of the finish, they certainly capture the look of the real thing and look great running with my 37/47/50s.

However, the bogies dont have NEM pockets!  The rapido couplings are not removable/slightly sprung loaded and move too freely or can stick in a pointing down position.  Im having issues with them decoupling on longer trains and derailing on reverse movements.  It appears for some reason they havnt used the standard Farish Y25 bogie tooling.  Im considering buying a pack of 379-415 bogies to see if they will fit, however the wagon will need the tab preventing 360 rotation shaving off, on the PBAs the tab is on the wagon, but on the standard farish bogie tooling the tab is on the bogie.  Does anyone have a farish wagon with Y25s or pack 379-415?  If someone could measure the diameter of the bogie center pivot hole (bolster?) please to confirm they would fit the PBA pivot regardless of the stop tab!  As otherwise I will need to fit aftermarket couplings/pockets to run them on my layout.

pba2.jpg

379-415 Y25 bogie pack

379-415 new.jpg

Edited by davebem

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, davebem said:

It appears for some reason they havn't used the standard Farish Y25 bogie tooling

They're not Farish tooling - they're EFE tooling (with involvement from Kernow Models I believe). The EFE range allows Bachmann UK to get models made outside of the normal Kader Bachmann/Farish factory.

Steven B

4 minutes ago, Steven B said:

They're not Farish tooling - they're EFE tooling (with involvement from Kernow Models I believe). The EFE range allows Bachmann UK to get models made outside of the normal Kader Bachmann/Farish factory.

Steven B

I just noticed they have the Kernow logo on the rear of the box, perhaps the tooling is old but nem pockets have been around a long time!  Ive just realised the Farish polybulks have Y25s and they dont fit, so think ill have to hack the couplings off and glue new pockets in.

The lack of NEM is strange, especially as the JIAs from the same origin feature Y25s of the same style and have NEM sockets. Even if not the same physical mould, you'd think CAD would be shared for this common competent that could also feature under other future wagons too 

Jo

• Agree 7

• 1 month later...

The review in Rail Express magazine includes a tip to improve the running: loosen the 2 body to chassis screws so they are backed off enough to not be too tight, it stops the buffers bowing down which catches on the rapidos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

On the whole these are very nice wagons indeed and they filled one of the biggest gaps I had on my wagon wish-list. Aside from the minor issues already mentioned above, I’m surprised there’s been no comment yet about the weathered versions. I ordered enough weathered wagons to recreate the St.Blazey to Cliffe Vale train of the 1980s based on the subtle weathering I saw in the pre-release pictures, which looked very convincing. I have ended up returning most of them because the weathering was much darker than in any picture I’d seen. I may have just been very unlucky but the weathering on some of the wagons would have been more suited to a very grubby coal wagon. In some cases, the wagon ends where the walkways and handrails are were completely black. I’ve therefore replaced them with the unweathered versions. To give credit where it’s due, the weathering varies from wagon to wagon so no two look exactly the same (as in the real world), it’s just a shame that the colour and density of the weathering (on the wagons I received at least) isn’t right. Otherwise, these are excellent models. 

They still randomly uncouple or derail when coupled up to certain wagons or locos in long formations.  They couple up well to Farish HEAs and Sonic VEAs, but not very well with TTAs, Polybulks, VDAs, and Ferry wagons, so Im having to use barrier wagons!  Im going to fit NEM sockets soon.