Castle Livery

I have a number of old Wrenn and Hornby Dublo Castles. Now none of these are mint boxed examples so they're not worth tuppence and were all bought years ago without boxes or instructions. I have six in total and I want to paint them in different liveries. Two in GWR green, two in BR green with early and late crest and wait for it..........two in light BR green. Now living on the other side of the world Railmatch and Phoenix paints are out of the question so does any one have any idea if Humbrol or Tamiya makes a shade of light green which is a close match to the BR light green which was applied to five Castles. I saw a photo of 5023 Brecon Castle in the Wrenn range in light green but that's incorrect as 5023 is not one of the five that received the light green livery as only 4089 Donnington Castle, 5010 Restormel Castle, 7010 Avondale Castle, 7011 Banbury Castle and 7012 Barry Castle were the only engines to receive or be defaced by the light green livery. Wrenn painted Castles in unauthentic liveries for my brother has 4082 Windsor Castle in BR light blue and no castle was ever painted blue.

Also what colour was the lining, was it all plain white or were other colours used too?

Any help would be much appreciated.       

5 hours ago, faulcon1 said:

Also what colour was the lining, was it all plain white or were other colours used too?

Any help would be much appreciated.       

The short-lived experimental light green was embellished with red, cream and grey lining.

Castles that carried the livery were: 4089, 4091, 5010, 5021, 5023, 7010-13.

Hope this helps.

Andy.

Edited by Andy M
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Be careful and try to find a photo of the one you want as I'm pretty sure that the lining was different on some of them as they were experimental liveries.

Some of the Apple Green locomotives (unsure about the Castles) had LNER style (black and white) and others SR style (yellow) lining.

61661 Sheffield Wednesday definitely had yellow lining for example.

Jason

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 02/09/2023 at 14:55, faulcon1 said:

I have a number of old Wrenn and Hornby Dublo Castles. Now none of these are mint boxed examples so they're not worth tuppence

Worth a lot more than Tuppence in the UK,   Swindon mixed their own paint so it's anyone's guess 70 odd years on whether the light green locos were all the same and whether their tenders were the same light green, Swindon usually painted the locos on the production line and the Tenders separately rather than engine and tender as a single unit.     Other pitfalls H/D  from memory painted the  "BR"Castles Green with BR style cab lining around the panel below the window but GWR style black footplate edges.  The edges were green in BR days,     I too have six (seven and one on eBay)  Hornby wagon wheels with the pin points cut off make a good leading wheel upgrade but the chassis needs grinding away locally to give clearance,
Glazing the cab side windows makes a massive difference as does gluing a decapitated drivers head or two to the Ringfield motor or adding a cab floor and crew to an early one, and shortening the tender drawbar , I only allow about 3mm gap between cab and tender, hides that massive ringfield.   What ever paint you use it will be a lot more likely to suffer damage than the original thick gloop they left the factory with.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 04/09/2023 at 21:43, DCB said:

Worth a lot more than Tuppence in the UK,   Swindon mixed their own paint so it's anyone's guess 70 odd years on whether the light green locos were all the same and whether their tenders were the same light green, Swindon usually painted the locos on the production line and the Tenders separately rather than engine and tender as a single unit.     Other pitfalls H/D  from memory painted the  "BR"Castles Green with BR style cab lining around the panel below the window but GWR style black footplate edges.  The edges were green in BR days,     I too have six (seven and one on eBay)  Hornby wagon wheels with the pin points cut off make a good leading wheel upgrade but the chassis needs grinding away locally to give clearance,
Glazing the cab side windows makes a massive difference as does gluing a decapitated drivers head or two to the Ringfield motor or adding a cab floor and crew to an early one, and shortening the tender drawbar , I only allow about 3mm gap between cab and tender, hides that massive ringfield.   What ever paint you use it will be a lot more likely to suffer damage than the original thick gloop they left the factory with.

Yes but in the current economic climate I don't think anyone in the UK could be bothered of paying the expence to ship them back to the UK as postage goes on weight and Wrenn/Hornby Dublo aren't light weights. But thanks for your very detailed answer.