Peco 1980s N Gauge Track Compared With Current Version - Advice Please!

Ha_Charade_UR

I need some wisdom about how Peco N gauge flexitrack has changed over the last forty years, please.  

Let me explain...back in 1986, I was 14 and about to embark on a new layout and went off to the local model shop, armed with my cheque book (yes, together with my 'cheque guarantee card').  I bought a reasonable quantity of Peco flexitrack and quite a lot of other stuff, which my memory can't recall off-hand.  

And then I went on holiday for a fortnight, came home, discovered girls, alcohol and the joys of playing in a band, three things which have a knock-on effect on one another...suddenly, the pleasure of creating a miniature world in 2mm scale had less appeal.  My brother took custody of my railway-related purchases and they remained in storage for the following few decades.  

Until now, when I find myself a bit rock'n'rolled out, (tee)totally on the wagon and contemplating finally doing another N gauge layout.  "Ah," said my brother, "don't forget I've still got all that stuff you bought back in the '80s!"  

So the thing is, I know at the time the track was the best I could get hold of but I suspect, rather like my now grey hair, the track available now is a bit different from what was around then.  The question is how much has it changed and improved in the intervening 37 (ouch) years?   Is it worth using it or would it be a culture clash with any new components I add?  

Also, at the same time I bought a Farish loco which had the then dog's proverbials 5-pole motor, which I assume is the equivalent now of boasting about having a Pentium processor on a laptop...still boxed, un-run (hopefully not seized-up)...was the spec on models manufactured in this period suitable for more recently made track?  

I'm not so nostalgic that I want to flog a dead horse but equally I don't want to waste bits that could be perfectly viable.  

Your views would be very gratefully received!  

• RMweb Premium

The track should still be good. Peco are very slow at changing things. 

The loco will have deep flanges that might stop it running on some track, however on Code 80 you would be fine. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Kris said:

The track should still be good. Peco are very slow at changing things. 

The loco will have deep flanges that might stop it running on some track, however on Code 80 you would be fine. 

Thank you, that's very reassuring.  

...and which means I now have virtual money from what I haven't had to spend on track to put towards other stuff...hey, it's a logic which works for me!  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I would check whether the track is Steel or Nickel-Silver. I recall steel track still being on the menu in the 80's.

If course if it was steel it would likely be obviously rusted by now, but it's worth checking it anyway; if it hasn't rusted it will do..

• Like 1

Checking Peco's 1986 price list, they only supplied nickel silver track in N. The wooden sleeper 'code 55'* was new. No matching points at that time.

* total rail height was still code 80, but the visible section was code 55. The double foot to the rail meant that there were no fixings necessary on the inside face of the track, allowing the same clearance for flanges as standard code 80 rail with the normal raised plastic rail fixings.

• Like 1

I've just been able to have a quick look at the stash of stuff and the sections of flexitrack seem pretty good given their age (although as I said they've literally just been stored since I bought them). 

They appear to be rather dusty in places...is there an approved method of de-dusting track which you could recommend, please?   

There are also four sets of points (two left hand, two right), which are still in their original packaging, unused, and are apparently Peco Streamline Medium Radius.   According to the price label, it seems I paid £3.25 for each one of these...those were the days!  Except, of course, that nearly forty years ago and at the age of fourteen, it probably felt like a lot more; I remember leaving the shop with not exactly buyer's remorse but a slight sense of "Oh God, how much did I just spend?!!" (which probably would have been compounded had I known that it was just going to lie in wait for all those years).  

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Ha_Charade_UR said:

A quick snap of two of the boxes with codes.  

So, any thoughts on how to get rid of the dust on the flexitrack?  

Stick it in the bath or under a low powered shower and Just wash it off.

• Like 1