Bachmann Class 20 Double Headed

Chrisjh

I have two Class 20's DCC Sound unfortunately they run in opposite directions I want them to run in tandem. Just wondering how it is possible to do this? As I had forgotten that they would run in opposite directions. Many thanks Chris 

Edited by Chrisjh

Best way to run two (or more) locos together is to use the consist option on your DCC command station.  On mine when you add the loco into the consist you can select the direction that the loco will travel compared to the lead loco.  See your command station handbook upon how to do this.

If you are running them permanently together and do not intend to split them they could be given the same address with one loco set to be running in reverse as per CV 29

• Agree 1

Hi Chris

I always use my DRS twenties paired nose to nose. Both my locos have Legomanbiffo V5 Plux 22 decoders.

on the instructions you can download from DC Kits website there is some interesting information at the bottom of the sheet below the function table.

Change CV159 and CV29 as suggested for lead and trailing loco and when locos are consisted the lead loco starts first followed by trailing loco. Also, horn only sounds on the loco that is leading.

regards

John

Hi Chris

apologies - it was a typo and it should have read cv 157 and cv 29

the default on V5 Loksound V5 decoder are CV157 = 0 and CV29 = 62

For Legomanbiffo class 20 sound where locos are paired or consisted, set as follows

Lead locomotive - CV157 = 1 and CV29 = 31

Rear locomotive - CV157 = 3 and CV29 = 30

I have not got a LokProgrammer but looking at V5 manual, CV 29 is a configuration register and, I believe, determines loco direction.

CV 157 is part of the CV suit 155-170 where sounds can be selected and assigned to different projects.

Anyway - I have used these two settings on my 20s and they work perfectly in consist with lead loco starting first followed by trailing loco start up.

With regard to speed matching, I have not had a problem other than when trying to start the locos moving too soon.

As one lags behind the other on start up you need to give them time to settle in tick over mode and then they do start moving together OK.

Hope that helps

John

• 1 month later...
On 15/09/2023 at 20:37, Chrisjh said:

Also I have noted that the Two locos operate at different speeds how do I alter the speed?

Some DCC systems have smart consisting so you can amend those on the fly.

If you run both locos on the same address or have a system that doesn't support smart consisting. You need to adjust the CVs for Max Speed, Acceleration and Deceleration until the locos match. It's a case of trial and error in my experience.

• 1 month later...
On 24/10/2023 at 15:03, LNERandBR said:

If you run both locos on the same address or have a system that doesn't support smart consisting. You need to adjust the CVs for Max Speed, Acceleration and Deceleration until the locos match. It's a case of trial and error in my experience.

I have two factory fitted sound Bachmann class 20s that were released a few months apart (Zimo decoders). Both were purchased new, are from the 35-xxx series and I haven't altered any CVs yet.

I want to run them as a prototypical pair (nose to nose) and assume I will need to change the CV3 to CV5 settings as advised above (as well as CV29 on one) but the CV4, deceleration, settings on them are currently different, 000 and 080 respectively, and the locomotive's stopping behaviours are therefore radically different. I've read that the default CV4 (and CV3) settings are determined by the loaded sound project. I'd be surprised if the sound projects in each were different?

What do I need to do in these circumstances? Still alter the CVs to match initially? I don't want the locos speed behaviours to become out of sync with their sound.

In my experience it's still a matter of trial and error.

Best thing to do therefore is to run the locomotives not coupled together and see what happens. If the gap widens or decreases at anypoint during acceleration or deceleration you need to adjust some settings.

You can adjust these without upsetting the sound project, whilst the sound project would have settings preset those cannot take into account the different performances of different motors, etc. 

• Thanks 1