Great electric train show 14/15 October

Craig1989

22 hours ago, Craig1989 said:

Went yesterday with my dad brother and friend of ours enjoyed making tracks and gordons lane. At one point felt it was close to being dangerously overcrowded and couldn’t really get a good look at the trade stands. Also on the balcony I felt squashed and couldn’t get a proper look at some of the layouts as having trade opposite didn’t help and hardly anywhere to squeeze through without being barged.

cheers Craig 

Glad you enjoyed Gordon’s Lane, as one of the operators, it was a great weekend entertaining the visitors. These are the only two pictures I managed to get of the layout at the weekend. 

14FFCB61-6F97-4AB5-8A68-6435BA58B903.jpeg

3A03DFFF-FB20-42AD-B1DD-221531F855F4.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Shaun66 said:

Glad you enjoyed Gordon’s Lane, as one of the operators, it was a great weekend entertaining the visitors. These are the only two pictures I managed to get of the layout at the weekend. 

14FFCB61-6F97-4AB5-8A68-6435BA58B903.jpeg

3A03DFFF-FB20-42AD-B1DD-221531F855F4.jpeg

With Greg on the front. 😀  I don't think he moved from there all weekend.

I like operating from 1 side at the front. It seems to be a very good way to involve & entertain viewers.

AS one of the James Street team this was the first show in which we have had serious concerns about operator health and safety. We are normally happy to operate without barriers, but they had been supplied and in the end were very much appreciated given the large numbers there on both days. Unlike other barriers, or maybe because of the attendance, they kept getting pushed closer and closer to the layout, which was not good for those operators working on the outside. It made it difficult to get along the outside of the dock and yards, and at times these operators were getting crushed against the layout. I don't think this was any direct action by any punter, just sheer weight of numbers. I'm sure it was down to the Pete Waterman effect, as we were opposite the left hand end of their layout. When punters got two or three deep around both layouts it made what looked like a very wide aisle into a narrow bumping ground.....

A good show all in all, and with minimal running issues despite no track being cleaned for the last three shows. We were unaware there was going to be a Best in Show award so were well pleased that punters thought we were good enough for that against Making Tracks, which I would have thought would have be a shoe-in.

Dave

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Southernfrance said:

AS one of the James Street team this was the first show in which we have had serious concerns about operator health and safety. We are normally happy to operate without barriers, but they had been supplied and in the end were very much appreciated given the large numbers there on both days. Unlike other barriers, or maybe because of the attendance, they kept getting pushed closer and closer to the layout, which was not good for those operators working on the outside. It made it difficult to get along the outside of the dock and yards, and at times these operators were getting crushed against the layout. I don't think this was any direct action by any punter, just sheer weight of numbers. I'm sure it was down to the Pete Waterman effect, as we were opposite the left hand end of their layout. When punters got two or three deep around both layouts it made what looked like a very wide aisle into a narrow bumping ground.....

Not just your layout, but possibly the hall position made it worse for you.   I think the barrier design was one which is prone to creep, but crowd numbers didn't help.   

We had the same problems with barrier-creep on Burntisland-1883, and regularly had to step in and ask the crowd to let us move the barrier back a foot or so.  It was causing problems for two of our four front operating positions.   

- Nigel  

4 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

With Greg on the front. 😀  I don't think he moved from there all weekend.

I like operating from 1 side at the front. It seems to be a very good way to involve & entertain viewers.

We collectively told him, as his team, its your layout, you're the face of it. No point us being out there answering questions that will be for you anyway! For the layouts second official show, it was great to see so many people around it! I'm sure Greg will appreciate the kind words! 

Nathan

• Like 2

Overall, my experience was generally positive. I went on Sunday, got there around 10.15, parking no problem. The queue for pay on the door was long, but got moving steadily after a while. Yes it was busy. I don't know how many people came only because of Making Tracks and its associated promotion, but numbers through the door is what counts in the end. Were the advanced ticket sales stopped early due to the numbers sold, or was it always going to cut off earlier than the norm (bought the day before previously)? I think it can be said without much argument that the numbers were higher than expected. Harder to see the layouts or have a good ferret on the trade stands early on, but thinned out later and felt a little less intense. In venue refreshments are extortionate, but that applies at most places. I got the things I went for, so that's a big tick in the plus column, and another one for not buying things I didn't plan to buy lol.

I hope those who attended out of curiosity got a positive vibe from it all and are encouraged to plunge a little further into our wonderful hobby.

Does it need a bigger venue? That's a tricky one as it depends on the headline layouts that can be accommodated. But the promotional side of things seems to have worked very well indeed. It is unfortunate about the Saturday car parking situation, but it is really a coin toss if there is a home game or not.

If attendance is similar next year, maybe a larger venue should be sought,  but what the options are I have no idea. I feel this is an excellent show, and kicks off the winter season very well.

Onto the next show...

• 4 weeks later...

These are links to my narrated show special from this years GETS.

Layouts featured in Part 1; Making Tracks, Dyfod O Gwmpas, Burntisland 1883, Byway MPD, Gordon's Lane, Dublingham and James Street

Layouts featured in Part 2; Twelvemill Bridge - TT:120, Natford TMD - 00, Five Elms - 00, Hills of the North 'Spirit of Shap' - 00, Fordon Hill - N, St John's - 00, Kinlochewe - 00 and Tamcester - N

Layouts included in Part 3; Lemenis Light Railway - 009, Live Steam Roadshow - 00, Lockwood Street - N, Rosebury Goods - 00, Staple & Ash - 00, New Dalby - N, Tramlink - 00, Tulloch Bridge - 00, White Meadow Quarry - N, Polcombe Regis - N, Wardwood - 00, Ranelagh Bridge - 00, Thorne Yard - 00, St Paddy - 00, and Scarlington - N

• Like 2