STANIER 2-6-0 MOGUL

paul 27

Sometimes a tiny drop of oil on the motor bearings works a miracle. On the other hand, I had an old Bachmann loco which never worked smoothly. When it finally failed completely, I sent it to Bachmann, who replaced the motor and tweaked it. It now works as well as its classmates. Expensive but worth it to me.

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, paul 27 said:

Just purchased one this has a noisy motor any one else had issues with these

i presume its a 3 pole type.

Even if bought new its been a fair few years since these were produced so quite likely the lubrication has dried out and/or solidified to a greater or lesser degree. As @No Decorum a drop of oil on the motor (and other oiling points as specified in the maintenance sheet) and a check on the state of the grease in the gear train  - clean out and replace with fresh if any doubt will hopefully restore your loco to the expected smooth and quiet Bachman standard. 

On 17/09/2023 at 14:01, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Have you released it from the mount to see whether it is noisy running disconnected from the gear train? I have never seen this on a Bachmann model, but a motor with the worm hard down on the pinion can be noisy.

If still noisy independent of the gear train, as already suggested definitely have it replaced.

Yes i think the motor is a tight fit in its cradle it does press down on the pinion

is there any way to change this.

Never having seen the mechanism of one of these, I would hope the motor is 'captive' inside the main casting, retained by two screw secured straps across the motor ends; as this is the regular construction of Bachmann steam models from the 2010's onwards.

If this is the arrangement then release the strap screws, lift out the motor and test run it to check whether the motor is quiet off the gear train. If it is, reassemble with a very thin 'packing' under the motor. A piece of photocopier/printer paper is often sufficient - experiment is required here - the aim is to lift the motor by the smallest amount necessary to secure quiet operation, so that the worm has the maximum mesh with the pinion.