RMweb

R.I.P. Roger Whittaker

BoD

• RMweb Gold

His music was never ground breaking but it seems it’s always been there somewhere in the background throughout my life.

There’s a ship lies rigged and ready in the harbour …

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

I remember him singing about the "Good old EAR & H" celebrating the railways of Kenya.

He was a favourite of my parents in law and they often had a CD of his songs on in their car.

I grew to enjoy his gentle songs and his melodic and smooth voice.

R.I.P.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Jo Whiley said something about hearing his records at grandparents' houses and that's exactly how it was for me, memories of my grandmother playing RW on her old record player, over and over, but the music and voice leaving an indelible warm impression after fifty years. The shock was realising what a relatively young man he must have been at the time!!! 😯

• RMweb Premium

Didn’t pick up on this , but then the mejia seems full of Russell Brand . 

Sorry to hear of his passing . He had a distinctive voice , rich and as others have said strangely calming. One of my mothers and even Grans favourites ( she came from Durham City  and always pointed out its on the River Wear not Tyne!) .  

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Legend said:

Didn’t pick up on this , but then the mejia seems full of Russell Brand . 

Sorry to hear of his passing . He had a distinctive voice , rich and as others have said strangely calming. One of my mothers and even Grans favourites ( she came from Durham City  and always pointed out its on the River Wear not Tyne!) .  

My mum used to do exactly the same! She was from Sunderland. Of course he wouldn't have had to travel very far to see the ships on the Tyne so perhaps he got away with it.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, JeremyC said:

He seems to have been much more prominent and popular in Germany than in the UK

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/sep/19/tributes-flow-for-germanys-favourite-englishman-roger-whittaker

He actually could not speak german and learnt the german versions of his songs by the sound of the sung words.

• Informative/Useful 1