Uk Experience of RailCrew uncoupler?

Tallpaul69

Hi to all the Rapido community in the UK

I am looking for a more compact electric uncoupler for Kadee couplers than the Kadee product.

I have come across the Rapido Trains Inc. RailCrew uncoupler.

Before going to the expense of buying one from Canada to evaluate, I wondered if anyone had used this item in the UK?

If so, what were your results with it?

Many thanks

Paul 

Hi Gordon,

I would have thought that anyone who has used this item would know what they look like, or am I missing something?

As far as I know this item is relatively new to the market, and has not been supplied to the likes of Hornby, Bachmann, etc., under their own branding.

I am looking for the experiences of people who have bought, installed and operated this uncoupler on their layouts, with Kadee couplers. Preferably on 00!

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold

I have one, I've tried it  and funnily enough I've just been writing something about it in a draft layout article which may be relevant if you plan to use British models with steel axles. With US stuff it would probably be fine. Its quite chunky below the board and I found works more effectively when the centre line on the uncoupler is ignored when setting up.

I've also trialled a Rapido switchable uncoupler but although I have not opened it up I think magnets (physically) move into place when activated - unfortunately they also seemed strong enough to attract steel axles when in the "off" position.

aka you still get the shuffle...but I use very short trains and single wagon. This guy uses longer trains.

Chris H

Edited by Gilbert
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Just found this thread after being asked about them at Stafford at the weekend as my layout "Central Alonzo" uses three of them. I find you have to set their orientation exactly right and have to stop more accurately than on a between the rails permanent magnet but I generally find that they work really well. 

@Tallpaul69 Rails have single ones in stock. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 298 said:

Just found this thread after being asked about them at Stafford at the weekend as my layout "Central Alonzo" uses three of them. I find you have to set their orientation exactly right and have to stop more accurately than on a between the rails permanent magnet but I generally find that they work really well. 

@Tallpaul69 Rails have single ones in stock. 

Thanks for the info, I have now found them on Rails website!

Is their any video of your layout using them on U tube or elsewhere.

Have you any experience of the Kadee company's version?

One reason for my interest is that I thought one of the Rapido version might work at the end of my curved platform. Any thoughts? Your comment about orientation is a slight worry!

Cheers

Paul

1 hour ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Thanks for the info, I have now found them on Rails website!

Is their any video of your layout using them on U tube or elsewhere.

Have you any experience of the Kadee company's version?

One reason for my interest is that I thought one of the Rapido version might work at the end of my curved platform. Any thoughts? Your comment about orientation is a slight worry!

Cheers

Paul

To describe the orientation problem, they have a line on top that aligns with the track-easy to set up before ballasting but should one fall out because the hot glue melted in a hot garage makes it harder to refit. I think I did so by trying to follow the original alignment but what I should have done was try it with a wagon or loco above to check the coupler was at it's maximum throw. 

This is a video on the small inglenook I built because I had a spare, the magnetic field is marginally affecting the steel weight in the hopper and causing it to roll away from the loco without stopping.

I've only ever used Kadee permanent magnets before, didn't like them because of the odd phantom uncoupling event and ended up snipping off the pins and just using a skewer. They still don't get around the problem of having to plan where you need them and the couplers need to be set up properly and with consistency, but they are still my preferred option. 

• Like 1