Reedsmouth Junction

Ali McLean

Hi

I'm coming back to modelling after 48 years when as a 12-year old, I had a fairly basic Hornby 00 double-loop.

Ambitiously perhaps, I'm hoping to model Reedsmouth Junction on the sadly disused Border Counties and "Wannies" lines here in Northumberland.

There is a fantastic article by Ian Futers in the July 2015 edition of Railway Modeller which I'll be using to the fullest extent including Ian's excellent 2mm building plans.

However, it is what wasn't in the article that I would love to find. Hence, I am wondering if there is any way of contacting Ian to find out if he also drew up plans for the water tower/ticket office and the viaduct to the north of the junction which crossed the River Rede before sadly being dismantled.

I'm sure I can have "a go" at them myself but Ian is clearly a man who knows what he is doing and as a newbie, I'm always ready to learn from the best.

While I can find many images of the water tower, there is only one (attached) that I can find of the the viaduct which would appear to pose the greatest challenge.

Kind regards

Ali McLean

reedsmouth(alan_young12.1974)10.jpg

Viaduct.jpg

• Like 6

There are a few more photos of the viaduct in Ernie Brack's Flickr album - here.

Incidently, if you are going to use the 25" to 1 mile OS map for your track plan, either directly or importing into Templot, there are errors in alignments of the lines in the engine shed yard and sidings opposite the Wansbeck platform. How do I know this? It's a Morecombe and Wise classic - it's the right number of lines, just not quite in the right place!

• Like 2

Ali have you taken a look at the  disused stations web site ,although its no help to you at the moment they are working on the Reedsmouth junction and wanny lines, despite being located miles away from Northumberland in east anglia i have become a big fan of the long lost border counties railways,i keep going back to Ernies railway archive on flickr his photographs are superb inspiration,

On 25/09/2023 at 10:41, drjcontroller said:

Forgive me for being pedantic, is it not Redesmouth?

I wish you luck, I do have a soft spot for both the Border Counties and the 'Wanny'.

Douglas

Yeah, the village is indeed Redesmouth but the railway junction was named Reedsmouth. Crazy mixed up kids huh?

• Like 2

On 27/09/2023 at 19:16, Clive martin said:

Ali have you taken a look at the  disused stations web site ,although its no help to you at the moment they are working on the Reedsmouth junction and wanny lines, despite being located miles away from Northumberland in east anglia i have become a big fan of the long lost border counties railways,i keep going back to Ernies railway archive on flickr his photographs are superb inspiration,

Hi Clive

Yeah, been there and everywhere else I can think of too:-) Ernie has been a big help.

Are you a member of the NBSG? The Scottish historical railway Societies have pooled their photographic collections, along with some NRM ones and it is a very useful resource for research, as there is considerable overlap  of subjects in each seperate collection.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Ben Alder said:

Are you a member of the NBSG? The Scottish historical railway Societies have pooled their photographic collections, along with some NRM ones and it is a very useful resource for research, as there is considerable overlap  of subjects in each seperate collection.

Hi Ben

I’m not but will look them up.

many thanks indeed.

Ali

On 27/09/2023 at 18:28, UpDistant said:

There are a few more photos of the viaduct in Ernie Brack's Flickr album - here.

Incidently, if you are going to use the 25" to 1 mile OS map for your track plan, either directly or importing into Templot, there are errors in alignments of the lines in the engine shed yard and sidings opposite the Wansbeck platform. How do I know this? It's a Morecombe and Wise classic - it's the right number of lines, just not quite in the right place!

If I spend any more time on Ernie's Flickr album I won't have time for anything else:-) So evocative. How I wish I'd ridden that line.

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/10/2023 at 19:22, UpDistant said:

My take on Reedsmouth - main line to Bellingham to the left, Wansbeck to the right. I've also managed to do Bellingham (far right side), and Woodburn (to the left). It's to EM gauge, and apart from the lines for the connecting loops at the far end, all the track is hand built, including all the weird things the NBR came up with.

IMG_1656.JPG

IMG_1658.JPG

IMG_1661.JPG

Wow! I mean, just wow! 

• Agree 2