"Les Caves du Roy" Banlieue Est, Beyrouth - Chemin de fer de l'Etat Libanais (C.E.L.)

Lineas Cubanas

Here is my interpretation of the "Ashrafieh" district with the buildings weathered and some details added:

IMG_1797.jpg.233b4f618e7486925197f02c740e98b8.jpg

Am moving onto the roads next to give this area a break....

IMG_1796.jpg.d72ed38e64c3f772b81d369a63135b6a.jpg

The building on the left in the above photo is actually N scale and a temporary stand in as I have not decided what I am actually going to put here to represent Cortas Manufacturing Company (Canning & Refrigeration)

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

IMG_1840.jpg.c82d4db5321dd66ada43b526458e8e00.jpg

Ok .......so here we have the siding to the left and behind the wall that will lead to Cortas Manufacturing Company (Canning & Refrigeration). I haven’t quite decided what the industry/buildings will look like. Initially, I was using a N scale building I had spare, thinking it would work but it just didn’t!

So I am heading towards using this prototype photo as a guide ………

Screenshot2019-06-18at16_36_13.png.f4ad17fbde8a5d9bc868e8e3e650cb0a.png

I think its realistic to assume some of the Cortas buildings have been badly war damaged and this track is used more like a "Team Track" for many businesses and industries in East Beirut.

You will note that the wall has posters on it. These are/were very common in Beirut. This photo is from before the war in early 1970s:

279094006_5657162600977833_4282909373285151853_n.jpg.8d71bcad1be418c8740f4d2c853204c5.jpg

When the war started the use of posters escalated considerably as they represented:

“the struggle for Lebanon which raged on its streets. From 1975 to 1990, different factions in Lebanon's civil conflict flooded the streets with posters to mobilize their constituencies, undermine their enemies, and create public sympathy for their cause. The posters displayed a dramatic clash of cultures, ideologies and meanings."

From: Off the Wall (Political Posters of the Lebanese Civil War) by Zeina Maasri 

I have number of posters to add to the many buildings and walls etc but am in the process of researching what was most likely seen in East Beirut. I am using this book to help me which also contains an excellent and succinct biography for the war:

91EpGOVhpKL._SL1500_.jpg.f4066b6a72dd3109e37b08ce24bcecdf.jpg

• Like 11

On 03/12/2023 at 13:05, Mol_PMB said:

This layout is coming together superbly. I love the unusual choice of prototype and the way you are capturing the atmosphere. Keep up the good work!

Paul

On 03/12/2023 at 14:03, Porkscratching said:

What a fascinating and unique idea for a layout / diorama. The brooding sky backscene is awesome imho too.. 

Thanks for your kind comments and words of encouragement!

There is a "glimmer of hope" on the "brooding" backscene where the sun is starting to shine through.......

IMG_1850.jpg.f9ac1df30555b94719762e9af7be5877.jpg

This area is the spur between the concrete fences to CalTex Oil Co 

IMG_1852.jpg.5d54f6b2ddf455e1f00f2e70ac2a0048.jpg

The spur runs behind the apartment block into staging......the fences need to be extended and the gardens finished at the back of the French style houses

IMG_1853.jpg.64b56c37e99c753005d6a6fb58fa1482.jpg

There seems to have been an "Earthquake".......have totally messed up the baseboard join by not putting something more solid at each end (of the boards) such as a wood strips and have relied on styrofoam which is far from ideal.....

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 11

On 07/12/2023 at 14:16, Porkscratching said:

Absolutely cracking stuff sir 👍

Thanks again......had to address the "cracking" as soon as possible as it was starting to annoy me.......

IMG_1915.jpg.c3ef01563a6626494e40b23a22b1d582.jpg

Still need to address the back gardens of the French Style houses.....

IMG_1916.jpg.d5e9926d6d7dcf9cdd1d1d9d4ad826fc.jpg

I am beginning to think the "great hole in the sky" needs something in front it to disguise the entrance to the fiddle yard.....not sure what exactly as the road ends abruptly at the back scene in front of it...... I am going to leave it for a while, come back and see how I feel about it ....going to move onto the other end of the layout and address " The Green Line"

IMG_1917.jpg.3e8acc2ecf199de8b1bc16fd2f9f1400.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Lineas Cubanas said:

Thanks again......had to address the "cracking" as soon as possible as it was starting to annoy me.......

IMG_1915.jpg.c3ef01563a6626494e40b23a22b1d582.jpg

Still need to address the back gardens of the French Style houses.....

IMG_1916.jpg.d5e9926d6d7dcf9cdd1d1d9d4ad826fc.jpg

I am beginning to think the "great hole in the sky" needs something in front it to disguise the entrance to the fiddle yard.....not sure what exactly as the road ends abruptly at the back scene in front of it...... I am going to leave it for a while, come back and see how I feel about it ....going to move onto the other end of the layout and address " The Green Line"

IMG_1917.jpg.3e8acc2ecf199de8b1bc16fd2f9f1400.jpg

This is looking really good, would some kind of scenic treatment though the back scene help to make the transition less abrupt?

• Like 1

On 11/12/2023 at 11:50, doctor quinn said:

This is looking really good, would some kind of scenic treatment though the back scene help to make the transition less abrupt?

On 11/12/2023 at 11:55, Porkscratching said:

Viewing the pics it looks great as it is to me, obviously you're seeing it in front of you in real life and as the creator are naturally concerned with it being "right" to your satisfaction. 

Again I reckon the backscene is awesome! 👍

Thanks both.....

Am considering the following to hide the entrance into the fiddle yard:

1) Overbridge - not really enough room with the position of the apartment block 

2) Scenic Tree Break - may work but am not sure what a load of trees are doing in the middle of the road?

3) Building eg Cafe - don't really have anything left over that fits the space and it may obscure the street level businesses too much 

If I use the interchange track (as well as the road space) I could possibly :

Screenshot2023-12-12at13_08_14.png.3cfb08ca3478e615116b4169a3816974.png

- Scratch build an Engine Shed scene like the one at Furn El Shebbak yard......

20020224-132800.jpg.9022f39bde0a9076af3f3650abf896a8.jpg

- Scratch build an Oil Facility scene as they are numerous in Dora (area of East Beirut the layout is situated).....

Dowra1978.png.3fc8df77ad0783bd83f39207292a079b.png

Food for thought.......still test fitting what will look best in the space (or indeed whether its best to leave it  as it is)

Any feedback/thoughts are always welcome......

• Like 5

Hi 

A couple of ideas:

1: An advertising hoarding on the interchange track side of the road, would not take up much space and could help hide the entry to the fiddle yard.

2: When required - simply park a large lorry on the road opposite the ships to achieve the same effect.

If you build an engone shed or other building over the interchange track will that affect your ability to use that track for a decent length train?

As someone who knows nothing about the area, please feel free to ignore.

Regards 

Nick 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Lineas Cubanas said:

Food for thought.......still test fitting what will look best in the space (or indeed whether its best to leave it  as it is)

Any feedback/thoughts are always welcome......

Something I remember seeing on the news, a long wall of containers stacked up about four or five high as a screen against sniper fire.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, stivesnick said:

Hi 

A couple of ideas:

1: An advertising hoarding on the interchange track side of the road, would not take up much space and could help hide the entry to the fiddle yard.

2: When required - simply park a large lorry on the road opposite the ships to achieve the same effect.

If you build an engone shed or other building over the interchange track will that affect your ability to use that track for a decent length train?

As someone who knows nothing about the area, please feel free to ignore.

Regards 

Nick 

Thanks for the suggestions

I have considered the advertising hoarding : it is a possibility but not sure if it will hide enough of the entrance to the fiddle yard?

My default option so far during construction has been a lorry but as you can see from the photo below its just not big enough to hide everything (or the I have made the hole too big!)

IMG_1790.jpg.ba7a09a66bec2dc36d2f9ab39123d06f.jpg

I agree that if I build an engine shed over the interchange track, its going to limit the train length for that siding considerably.....

20 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

The advert hoarding is a great idea, perhaps with some political posters?

Alternatively, maybe a pipe bridge/gantry over the road and railway?

Yes, am liking the idea of pipe bridge/gantry, it needs something like that as I think I have made the entrance hole to the fiddle yard a bit too big....

This would work also with the prototype oil facilities found in Dowra on the map above....pipes, tanks etc

Edited by Lineas Cubanas

19 hours ago, Ian Morgan said:

You could see if there is room for a building front actually inside the fiddle yard butting up to the edge of the hole. It can be quite effective at hiding the rest of the fiddle yard from normal viewing angles.

Thanks for this.....something I need to consider 

13 hours ago, SZ said:

Something I remember seeing on the news, a long wall of containers stacked up about four or five high as a screen against sniper fire.

Yes, but I think the height of the containers might be too high?.......am aware sharp increases in height in tight spaces can be visually jarring but am off to test fit it and see how it looks

Thanks for the suggestion

Edited by Lineas Cubanas

15 hours ago, doctor quinn said:

How about a combination of methods? Maybe a short back scene parallel to the track that continues the main image to hide the fiddle track behind. Then maybe a hording and a truck to distract the viewer?

Agreed....going to have to combine quite a few things due to the height of the hole and the limited space due to the road width

• Like 1

I am going to leave the right hand side of the layout (and the exit to the staging yard) for the time being and address “The Green Line” area at the opposite end......

Screenshot2022-10-24at15_48_17.png.6e8d63646e193a89d58b63c20b66a7e5.png

THE GREEN LINE

The Green Line was a line of demarcation in Beirut during the Lebanese Civil War from 1975 to 1990. It separated the mainly Muslim factions in predominantly Muslim West Beirut from the predominantly Christian East Beirut controlled by the Lebanese Front. However, as the Civil War continued, it also came to separate Druze from Alewite, and Sunni from Shia. At the beginning of the Civil War, the division was not absolute as some Muslims lived East of the Green Line and some Christians lived in West Beirut but as the Civil War continued, each sector became more homogenous as minorities left the sector they were in.

The appellation refers to the coloration of the foliage that grew because the space was uninhabited. While most commonly referred to as the "Green Line" it was also sometimes called the "Demarcation Line". It generally stretched from the North of Beirut to the South, and the primary street that followed the Green Line was Damascus Street. There was no formal line or continual security but it was common to see militia checkpoints that people crossing at particular points had to go through and snipers on top of buildings were common. Many of the buildings along the Green Line were severely damaged or destroyed during the war. Since the end of hostilities, however, many of the buildings have been rebuilt within the framework of the urban renewal project of Solidere in Beirut Central District. (Wikipedia)

Ek4IIX_WAAE4Cyw.jpeg.10bdbc4834367bfeb455ec74d33ce5f4.jpeg

Here is a video that particular illustrates the damaged buildings and areas surrounding The Green Line in Downtown Beirut :

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Test fitting the vegetation for "The Green Line"

IMG_1906.jpg.86f65695c0d50faa12c4f289c3369f83.jpg

I have created a problem for myself.........(well created a problem in my head at least)......

Genius here..... decided that the vegetation on the layout would be best suited as yellow/orange/brown to match the dark greys of the back scene.......now I am not sure if the green vegetation will look incongruous  with the other colours..... I cannot really have "The Green Line" without it being green!

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1