"Les Caves du Roy" Banlieue Est, Beyrouth - Chemin de fer de l'Etat Libanais (C.E.L.)

Lineas Cubanas

8 minutes ago, Lineas Cubanas said:

I have created a problem for myself.........(well created a problem in my head at least)......

Genius here..... decided that the vegetation on the layout would be best suited as yellow/orange/brown to match the dark greys of the back scene.......now I am not sure if the green vegetation will look incongruous  with the other colours..... I cannot really have "The Green Line" without it being green!

This is looking very good.

I think part of the problem is that you presently have a very consistent green colour for the green line. In reality it would surely be a range of light and dark greens, some more yellowish or brownish than others. I think if some of the vegetation in the green line was closer in colour to the yellow/brown/straw elsewhere, while most of it was green, it would blend in better.

What season are you modelling? Would the yellows be bright yellow-green spring shoots, or summer/autumn tired and dried straw colours?

Keep up the good work!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mol_PMB said:

This is looking very good.

Thank you

1 hour ago, Mol_PMB said:

I think part of the problem is that you presently have a very consistent green colour for the green line. In reality it would surely be a range of light and dark greens, some more yellowish or brownish than others. I think if some of the vegetation in the green line was closer in colour to the yellow/brown/straw elsewhere, while most of it was green, it would blend in better.

What season are you modelling? Would the yellows be bright yellow-green spring shoots, or summer/autumn tired and dried straw colours?

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the feedback

Yes, I agree test fitting these bushes has made me realise that I need to arrange a transition from "The Green Line" to the yellows and browns of the surrounding scenery by using light, medium and dark greens including a more "yellow light green" I should think....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Lineas Cubanas said:

More test fitting/experimenting with colours......

Screenshot2024-01-02at14_48_59.png.dffaa084eae932660acb20aacad347a3.png

Getting there......... but not there yet!

I can see evidence of a well handled wet palet at work.

Oh and that overscale rear bumper should have dropped off ears ago!

Lovely work and following with interest.

Bill

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, longchap said:

I can see evidence of a well handled wet palet at work.

Oh and that overscale rear bumper should have dropped off ears ago!

Lovely work and following with interest.

Bill

Yes, good spot.......although it hasn't popped out to me in real life on the layout......

Vehicles are on the list to be weathered

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 03/12/2023 at 13:01, Lineas Cubanas said:

IMG_1840.jpg.c82d4db5321dd66ada43b526458e8e00.jpg

Ok .......so here we have the siding to the left and behind the wall that will lead to Cortas Manufacturing Company (Canning & Refrigeration). I haven’t quite decided what the industry/buildings will look like. Initially, I was using a N scale building I had spare, thinking it would work but it just didn’t!

So I am heading towards using this prototype photo as a guide ………

Screenshot2019-06-18at16_36_13.png.f4ad17fbde8a5d9bc868e8e3e650cb0a.png

I think its realistic to assume some of the Cortas buildings have been badly war damaged and this track is used more like a "Team Track" for many businesses and industries in East Beirut.

As discussed in the post above, I have now addressed the Cortas Manufacturing Company "Team Track"

As a reminder, here it is on the track plan, front left of the layout:

Screenshot2024-01-03at15_04_20.png.871b98f324390a95ced34af6479c28aa.png

I used the photo above titled "The Bread Seller" as a guide....to be honest, I am more of a kit basher than a scratch builder so used this kit by French manufacturer A&P (Architecture & Passion) as a starting point:

maison-de-ville-202-ho-.jpg.6662708635931cc6562a48b1f7b4e7ad.jpg

And this is the progress to date .......(obviously need to straighten the telegraph pole!)

IMG_2230.jpg.5a65c4d5221c2d3abf4cf7ad26a392c3.jpg

IMG_2231.jpg.d4b308931265e1bcc79fdef6f093e7d4.jpg

IMG_2232.jpg.7c3bb84d8a7a68dd2b1f9d4917372bf7.jpg

And the overall look of the left side of the layout......

IMG_1933.jpg.44a90a374686fd96a48ec829f94419e0.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

This is all jaw droppingly good Matt, and I don't think "kitbashing" really does justice to what you have achieved, just terrific.

I really look forward to seeing it "in the plastic" in July.

Please don't lose momentum, get distracted or skip it in the meantime(!)

Simon 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 06/01/2024 at 15:40, longchap said:

Wonderful kit bashing and as evidenced elsewhere, skilfully painted and weathered.

On 06/01/2024 at 16:09, Not Jeremy said:

This is all jaw droppingly good Matt, and I don't think "kitbashing" really does justice to what you have achieved, just terrific.

Thank you both for your kind comments!

On 06/01/2024 at 16:09, Not Jeremy said:

I really look forward to seeing it "in the plastic" in July.

Please don't lose momentum, get distracted or skip it in the meantime(!)

Simon 

I will try not to.....with the weather in Bath currently, there's no option but to work on the railroad!

As its the new year, its probably a good time to take stock and make a list of what still needs to be done.....

This is where we are at currently:

IMG_1926.jpg.d47e1a9c35d69690232095ca3be32c6b.jpg

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 14
  • Round of applause 4

Excellent stuff - looking forward to seeing more. How is the rolling stock coming on?

Thanks for posting a longer distance shot. This is how most people would see an actual layout and it is a good way to understand the overall view.

Nick

• Thanks 1

I've just come across this very fascinating and superbly modelled layout.

A difficult subject to model I am sure, in more ways than one. I do like that dramatic sky.

My favourite "theme" is industrial tat and decay. This is something completely different, hence very interesting.

Brit15

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to be contrary and say that the green line needs to be greener. In all the pictures I have seen of it, it really pops out against the dusty greys and browns of the building/debris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, doctor quinn said:

That looks really good, the sky backscene works well

20 hours ago, APOLLO said:

I've just come across this very fascinating and superbly modelled layout.

A difficult subject to model I am sure, in more ways than one. I do like that dramatic sky.

My favourite "theme" is industrial tat and decay. This is something completely different, hence very interesting.

Brit15

Thanks for the words of encouragement and good to hear the back scene seems to be working!

18 hours ago, Talltim said:

I'm going to be contrary and say that the green line needs to be greener. In all the pictures I have seen of it, it really pops out against the dusty greys and browns of the building/debris

Thanks for the feedback.......I haven't finished "The Green Line" just yet but agree it needs some more "volume"

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 08/01/2024 at 11:34, stivesnick said:

Excellent stuff - looking forward to seeing more. How is the rolling stock coming on?

Thanks for posting a longer distance shot. This is how most people would see an actual layout and it is a good way to understand the overall view.

Nick

Ah the Rolling Stock...my "Kryptonite"

The good news is that I have all the rolling stock ready to be painted and weathered. For such a small layout, I only have a roster of 20 or so wagons

I have started on a few wagons but to be honest, I am not as confident with rolling stock models as I am with buildings and scenery.....I showed a few finished wagons to my father and he said they looked "good" (he is after all my dad) but I am not happy with them myself and they need revision.

I have a number of issues currently:

1) Prototype Photos - I do not have many actual prototype photos to use as a guide.....I am really not 100% sure what was used or what the colour schemes were etc ......although, I could use this to my advantage as therefore no one really knows what anything should look like apart from a few key pieces (usually the motive power)

2) Couplings - with the completed wagons I used the "standard" NEM couplings that came with the actual wagons by Piko, Roco etc. After I had painted and weathered a few cars, I realised that the gap between wagons was to say "unsightly".....I am no "rivet counter" but you could drive a bus between the buffers! 

My usual "go to" couplings are Kadee #58s so I thought I would revert to those......but it is actually more complicated to fit these than I thought it would be......ideally, you need to purchase the #58s that fit in the NEM coupling boxes but the price of these is just ridiculous......I think it was £11 for 2 pairs! so I need to investigate other possibilities

3) Painting Skills - As I said above painting skills on rolling stock are somewhat in need of drastic improvement but I intend to leave the layout for a while and concentrate of completing the roster so will post the ups and downs as we go.......I am in a cold sweat about painting motive power but lets get the "easier" models done first!

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

23 hours ago, Lineas Cubanas said:

Ah the Rolling Stock...my "Kryptonite"

The good news is that I have all the rolling stock ready to be painted and weathered. For such a small layout, I only have a roster of 20 or so wagons

I have started on a few wagons but to be honest, I am not as confident with rolling stock models as I am with buildings and scenery.....I showed a few finished wagons to my father and he said they looked "good" (he is after all my dad) but I am not happy with them myself and they need revision.

I have a number of issues currently:

1) Prototype Photos - I do not have many actual prototype photos to use as a guide.....I am really not 100% sure what was used or what the colour schemes were etc ......although, I could use this to my advantage as therefore no one really knows what anything should look like apart from a few key pieces (usually the motive power)

2) Couplings - with the completed wagons I used the "standard" NEM couplings that came with the actual wagons by Piko, Roco etc. After I had painted and weathered a few cars, I realised that the gap between wagons was to say "unsightly".....I am no "rivet counter" but you could drive a bus between the buffers! 

My usual "go to" couplings are Kadee #58s so I thought I would revert to those......but it is actually more complicated to fit these than I thought it would be......ideally, you need to purchase the #58s that fit in the NEM coupling boxes but the price of these is just ridiculous......I think it was £11 for 2 pairs! so I need to investigate other possibilities

3) Painting Skills - As I said above painting skills on rolling stock are somewhat in need of drastic improvement but I intend to leave the layout for a while and concentrate of completing the roster so will post the ups and downs as we go.......I am in a cold sweat about painting motive power but lets get the "easier" models done first!

On the couplers issue, could you economise by using the Roco close coupler within rakes such as tankers? I wouldn't suggest a bar coupling as I found two vehicles awkward to handle. 

I don't know if you've looked at any military modellers on YouTube, I found by paining and weathering skills improved when I started looking at what they were doing. 'Panzermeister 36' is very good, with the bonus of doing some trains too.

• Thanks 1

For your prototype, I'd imagine that much of the rolling stock should be well weathered and run-down. In that scenario, there is less need for perfection in the livery application. What makes it convincing is much more dependent on the plausibility of the rust patches, the work-staining, load spillage, wear and tear etc. Your work on the buildings, roads etc. on the layout shows that you have a very good eye for this kind of thing already. 

Since there's little prototype information, you have some considerable freedom on the underlying livery and as long as you choose something fairly plain I'm sure that would be plausible and you can make the rolling stock 'your own' with the weathering. 

The prototype freight wagon photos posted earlier on this thread are mostly in white/pale grey colours which would be fairly common in a hot climate in an attempt to keep the cargo cool (in some photos that livery is almost lost under the rust, but some traces are still visible). The logos, numbering and vehicle classifications (where present) seem fairly consistent look broadly in accordance with the published UIC standards. 

A couple more pics I found on Flickr, you may have seen these already:

Car 6318 Tripoli #lebanon #photography #landscape_captures #landscape_photography #flickr #capture #photo_art #photoshoot #naturelovers #nature_photography #photo #explore #landscape #nature Train rusty railroad car tank train waggons tank rail waggon freight wagon old tank train wagons

Incidentally there are some nice older pics too...

Lebanon Railways - Chemin de fer de Beyrouth à Damas (Liban) - CEL (ex-DHP) Class A 0-8-2T steam locomotive and train in 1968 Haifa, Beirut & Tripoli Railway - Beirut train station in August 1943 - Whitcomb diesel locomotive with several captured German diesel locomotives Lebanon Railways - Chemin de fer de Beyrouth à Damas (Liban) - Beirut (بيروت‎) train station, 1968 - 0-8-2T steam locomotive (SLM Winterthur, 1906)

• Like 6

Incidentally I've had a load of custom waterslide transfers made for some of my recent projects, and the cost is very reasonable.

I could help with some transfer artwork on these if you need it.

Cheers,

Mol

• Like 1

I found this as well, a bit before your period but some of these tank wagons may have survived and it shows some of the lettering quite clearly:

159 Beiruit rly by camp site Lebanon 1966

Edit additions beyond here:

This is also too old but quite inspiring:

https://trainconsultant.com/2020/08/10/le-liban-le-temps-oublie-de-la-paix-de-la-prosperite-et-du-chemin-de-fer/

This photo shows the numbering on the ends of the vans:

the train

This one appears to show lettering in yellow

https://www.alamyimages.fr/gare-abandonnee-au-liban-image435040911.html?imageid=735B0DEA-1996-4306-8295-B7F20055B876&p=219257&pn=1&searchId=a141b94c04bc6e58c8aae9c28679ae1d&searchtype=0

also here:

https://www.alamyimages.fr/gare-abandonnee-au-liban-image435040914.html?imageid=DCD754B1-4191-4010-8401-CCFC88857A76&p=219257&pn=1&searchId=a141b94c04bc6e58c8aae9c28679ae1d&searchtype=0

Mol

Edited by Mol_PMB
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 10/01/2024 at 12:13, doctor quinn said:

On the couplers issue, could you economise by using the Roco close coupler within rakes such as tankers? I wouldn't suggest a bar coupling as I found two vehicles awkward to handle. 

Yes, that's another problem I found with NEM couplers with bar couplings, I found them practically impossible to uncouple without help from "the great hand in the sky"

I am not familiar with the Roco close coupler but after a quick google search, I realise they are not too dissimilar from the Fleischmann ones that came as an alternative with a flat car I purchased. The Fleischmann couplers seem so far to:

- uncouple/couple "comparatively gracefully"

- look ok

- do not cause an unsightly massive gap between the wagons

- can be fit easily in the existing NEM coupler box

- can be purchased economically

So we'll see how we get on.....

On 10/01/2024 at 12:13, doctor quinn said:

I don't know if you've looked at any military modellers on YouTube, I found by paining and weathering skills improved when I started looking at what they were doing. 'Panzermeister 36' is very good, with the bonus of doing some trains too.

Thanks for this.

I have subscribed and watched a few videos. He makes everything look fairly straightforward so I think I need to revisit the wagons I have done so far......

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 1