Is 294mm to narrow for O Gauge?

meatloaf

• RMweb Premium

I would dispense with the fiddle yard personally and just accept trains stop in view. it's no greater stretch of imagination and allows you to model half as much again.

9 foot is essentially a shunting layout. I'd therefore maximise room to move a wagon or two around in view than be able to have a train arrive and leave, which wouldnt be that often anyway.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 1

It all depends on what you want from a layout, 0 gauge has a great feeling of presence but eats up space so if your space is small then the scope for operating will be very limited and the best you can hope for is something like an Inglenook layout . However if you enjoy making scenery, buildings or building stock then a working diorama may suit your needs. There are some ingenious layout ideas out there, have a look at Arun Quay to get some idea of what might be possible. 

• RMweb Premium

My latest little O gauge experiment (and very much still a work in progress) measures only 90cm ✕ 22.5cm on an old shelf I found; it's a through line with exchange siding and movable fiddle sticks on each end. 29.4cm sounds luxurious by comparison.

I think working in small spaces is all about asking what you can leave out (ie pretty much everything) and still have a viable scene. This also keeps the cost down. Granted, a 'Deltic' would look ridiculous in something like this, but an 08 plus some wagons with good sound and a bit of grot is a very different story.

IMG_0552.jpeg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Solo said:

My latest little O gauge experiment (and very much still a work in progress) measures only 90cm ✕ 22.5cm on an old shelf I found; it's a through line with exchange siding and movable fiddle sticks on each end. 29.4cm sounds luxurious by comparison.

I think working in small spaces is all about asking what you can leave out (ie pretty much everything) and still have a viable scene. This also keeps the cost down. Granted, a 'Deltic' would look ridiculous in something like this, but an 08 plus some wagons with good sound and a bit of grot is a very different story.

IMG_0552.jpeg

Looks a nice little project. Arguably with a more industrial backscene a Deltic parked on the back siding might look quite at home invoking memories of the Kings Cross stabling point.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1