Building supports

I’m currently in the middle of building a fictitious colliery layout and I’ve used summat colliery as inspiration for the main building but I’m looking for some framing that I can use as supports in the building. I’ve provided some pictures of summat colliery as an example of what I’m looking for. 

IMG_1262.png

• Like 1

Evergreen has a huge range of plastic shapes for just this job.  I beam for the uprights and perhaps U section for the cross bracing.  Plastic offcuts can be used for the plating.  I would have recommended Archer for rivet transfers but they have gone out of business.  I don't know if someone has stepped up to replace them.

John

5 hours ago, brossard said:

Evergreen has a huge range of plastic shapes for just this job.  I beam for the uprights and perhaps U section for the cross bracing.  Plastic offcuts can be used for the plating.  I would have recommended Archer for rivet transfers but they have gone out of business.  I don't know if someone has stepped up to replace them.

John

Indeed! Railtec:

https://www.railtec-transfers.com/rivets/

(And they're made right here in Derbyshire).

I think it may have been Hornby Magazine which said they thought the quality is better than Archers. There must be a couple of hundred sheets in the range now. The rivets are made in white purely because that's the easiest colour to assume whatever top colour you like. Many modellers simply cut off what they need, apply it to the model and paint/spray. OR, if the model is already painted, cut off what they need, spray that, then apply it to the model.

Because of the way these are made, each rivet is perfectly consistent with consistent spacing, saving modellers time and a lot of tedious hassle compared to some techniques I've seen. Given the enormity of the range there should be enough spread to get most modellers out of most holes.

Steve

Edited by railtec-models
  • Informative/Useful 1