DapolBeattie well tank.

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

I'vw got a Beattie well tank that's wearing out the plating on the drivers. I've thought of Ultrascale, but they'd probably have to be bespoke, which would mean even more money. I like this little loco and would like to find the wheels for it. I'd appreciate ideas. Being in Australia doesn't help much.

I've no idea how the mechanism on these work and axle sizes, etc.

But I'm pretty sure that Gibson do suitable wheels for a Beattie Well Tank. I have a feeling that the ones for a M7 are the correct type.

5 foot 7 inches 18 spoke In line is what they had. This is probably the closest.

4867 5’ 6" 22.0mm. 18 spoke LSWR M7 Class Plain IL 9"

http://www.alangibsonworkshop.com/

Jason

• Like 1

Suggest contact Kernow and Bachmann and enquire of each if spares are availble giiven the model is now in the EFE Rail range. A split chassis arrangement is used I believe so any alternatve wheels are going to need appropriate axles which may be awkwatrd to source unless very lucky and the existing can be reused.

• RMweb Premium

Ended up getting a new one from Frizinghall for 120 quid. Some idiot called Gostude on ebay wanted 279quid then had the cheek to reply to my question about best price and VAT exemption to Australia with, "What a dream,price as listed for second hand items."

Maybe he was on something, eh.

If I get positive replies from Gibsons and Bachmann I'll probably still fix the original one up. Kernow no longer had spares for these.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I had a reply from Colin at Gibsons. It looks like I'll have to dismantle the loco to see if the axles would match up with the Gibson wheels. If so, I'll end up with two BWT's.  I'm hoping someone else has had one apart and can give me details of the axle diameters and what type and size the ends are. I have had this one apart, but it was back when it wasn't very old. I'd all ready sent one back  to Kernow, faulty and this one had a pick up stuck in the spoke of one of the pony wheels. I had to cut the brake gear to get the keeper plate off and I really don't fancy doing it again unless it's to replace the wheels.

How have you found your well tank running. I almost bought one second hand a few months ago. But when it was tried on the shops test track after a couple of feet smoke billowed forth from the motor. Needless to say i did not buy it. But i would like to get one. So was wondering if this was a one off problem or do the motors have an overheating problem?.

• RMweb Premium

I can only speak for my original one bought a long time ago from Kernow. It was made by DJ Models. I've fitted a sound decoder, speaker and stay alive and it runs very well.

The new one is on it's way. I think Rails of Sheffield may have some more via ebay which is where mine's coming from.

• RMweb Premium

I have a new unused one (as I originally bought 3) which has a minor issue in that the whistle was missing. Kernow sent me a brand new unpainted whistle which is with the model.

If anyone is interested in purchasing it pleases PM me  

The other two I purchased will be running on my layout Camel Quay at Warley in November, both DCC fitted one having sound.

Terry