Bachmann O4

Andy Y

This did look rather nice at manchester, and if Im not totally wrong (well it is a kettle!) O4s were GC engines as used on the Woodhead? Ideal for the one day plan for a line "just off the MS&L mainline " :D

Indeed, and ideally suited for running PW trains before the wires get energised on my 'once in a lifetime' project. ;)

The tenders from ex-ROD machines purchased by the GWR and LMS were recycled in various ways, Swindon re-used the tenders released when near half of their acquired locos were broken up to provide a spares pool, and some of these went behind 2251 class 0-6-0s for example. So that further increases the probability of at least half of the ensemble appearing well away from the home patch...

• RMweb Gold

The tenders from ex-ROD machines purchased by the GWR and LMS were recycled in various ways, Swindon re-used the tenders released when near half of their acquired locos were broken up to provide a spares pool, and some of these went behind 2251 class 0-6-0s for example. So that further increases the probability of at least half of the ensemble appearing well away from the home patch...

Indeed so but the Cap'n is still likely to be disappointed as only one of the 2251s definitely known to have run with an ROD tender at some time in its life appears to have made it to the S&D - 2251 itself. And I suspect that by then the ROD tender would have been replaced by something a bit more modern.

Surely a couple were trialled on the S&D in the 50s as a possible replacement for the 7Fs.

Of course,this was a few years before the Clan was sent over as an alternative to the West Countries.

Jim49

Has anyone heard any rumours regarding the release date?

Bachmann seem to be pretty good at geting things out to market once the prototype has been signed off. So my guess is about a month till we see the decorated version late this month. Then if we are all lucky it will be the week or so before Christmas.

:D :D :D

I say this as it seems the new Class 3 tank has taken the same route and appears that we will see it at the start of December. :D

Doug

Guest TomTank

Has anyone heard any rumours regarding the release date?

Bachmann seem to be pretty good at geting things out to market once the prototype has been signed off. So my guess is about a month till we see the decorated version late this month. Then if we are all lucky it will be the week or so before Christmas.

:D :D :D

I say this as it seems the new Class 3 tank has taken the same route and appears that we will see it at the start of December. :D

Doug

Well I was told by Bachmann that the A2s would be with us early 2010 so you could be right....on the other hand I did see on Bachmann's site the 04s down for March release :blink:

It's beginning to look like a synchronised attack on Eastern wallets: we'll make them dribble with our beautiful A2, while they are still feeling weak the class 105 will roll them up, and then we can finish them off with the O4. If there's any signs of fight after that, we'll hit them with an Ivatt large atlantic or a Director.

Time to start rehearsing my weathering technique, to replicate the awful exterior state these old things often presented in during the final decade of steam operation. Do we suppose that Bachmann or Hornby would ever venture BR's 'total filth' finish? Use a dull grey brown as the overall colour, and add extra appropriately coloured filth and rust in selected locations. Chalk the last couple of digits of the number on the cabside, to help the crew find 'theirs'.

Hi,

Sorry to put a downer on this lovely ROD body, but I had a good look at Manchester and it is worth reporting that Bachmann have produced another "solid chassis" block between the frames so below the boiler all you see is a solid block. I appreciate this is their current thinking, but it really lets the model down in my eyes. I think the best compromise would have been to cast the franes at full height and taken the solid block across at a lower level this would have reduced the visual impact. Unfortunately, unlike last year the Bachmann stand was unmanned on Sunday at the show so I could not communicate my thoughts. Looks like I will have to do some "heavy engineering" on my purchases!

Don't worry I will still buy a couple......

Cheers tony

Hey lads, we had this loco running on the SVMRC show at the show at the end of the sept. its amzing loco! i notice a few things wrong with it, the tender should have a hand brake, and lamp brackits, as i work at the GCR as a fireman, i'm getting one of these! the better part about it is the cab!

Archived