Bachmann O4

Andy Y

• 3 weeks later...

I see that the Bachmann website just has them as out of stock, and Rails has them listed as "soon". I am wondering if I will get my Christmas present before or after Christmas. Either way as long as it behaves the same way as my LMS super D I will be happy. There is nothing like just leaving a couple of trains running slowly while reading or doing some other modelling and every so often a train wanders past!. Though running 3 or 4 trains at the same time on DCC is a little more fraught with danger as 1 or 2 trains always catch up with the one in front!

If Bachmann don't announce 'versions' pretty smartish, I can imagine there will be several of us constructing 'Frankenlocos' by unions of B1 and O4 body parts on the O4 running gear. Both the O4/7 and O4/8 should be readily accessible by this method.

Pardon my ignorance of such matters and for asking a 'big' question (I know there were loads of rebuilds, some with side window cabs, but that's about it), but which of them were the latest survivors (I'm thinking '66ish if possible), and how different were they to the model?

• RMweb Premium

Pardon my ignorance of such matters and for asking a 'big' question (I know there were loads of rebuilds, some with side window cabs, but that's about it), but which of them were the latest survivors (I'm thinking '66ish if possible), and how different were they to the model?

From the LNER Encyclopedia

Withdrawals started in December 1958 and progressed at a steady rate, although they continued to perform good solid work during the 1960s. The last O4 with an original Belpaire boiler design was withdrawn in February 1966. The class finally disappeared from service in April 1966 when four O4/8s were withdrawn.

• 2 weeks later...
Any news yet of a release date?

I asked at the Wigan exhibition, today, about the O4 and the A2. The samples on display were apparently hand painted and it was likely to be around Easter before one or the other would be available in the shops, depending on the availability of factory production slots.

Colin

I asked at the Wigan exhibition, today, about the O4 and the A2. The samples on display were apparently hand painted and it was likely to be around Easter before one or the other would be available in the shops, depending on the availability of factory production slots.

Colin

Oh well, maybe I can be tempted by the Bachmann standard 3 for Christmas and have time to save up again.

Having finally seen the beast over the weekend it looks like another case of nice body but.........

So who will have the first replacement finescale chassis for it then???

William Hill has it at evens on that a large bearded type is a possible runner but other good bets could those celestial well coached types frae Brum or even some other masters of things shiny frae that neck of the woods....

Dribble... :huh:

Having finally seen the beast over the weekend it looks like another case of nice body but.........

So who will have the first replacement finescale chassis for it then???

Pray tell what's wrong with the chassis exactly? Unless of course you mean from an EM / P4 point of view?

Guest Max Stafford

I think that's where he was coming from. I believe some people are concerned about the solid nature of the chassis also, but I think it's an unfortunate consequence of the need to provide adhesive weight. I can't see what else could be done with a RTR model, bearing in mind lead-based ballast options are no longer permitted in manufacturing what the law generally views as a toy.

Dave.

I think that's where he was coming from. I believe some people are concerned about the solid nature of the chassis also, but I think it's an unfortunate consequence of the need to provide adhesive weight. I can't see what else could be done with a RTR model, bearing in mind lead-based ballast options are no longer permitted in manufacturing what the law generally views as a toy.

Dave.

Thank you Dave, for putting a bit of perspective into the 04 thread. Suffice to say despite certain comments stated earlier in the thread, I have no problem with putting up with certain necessary inaccuracies if it means my 04 will be a good and reliable hauler when bought.

I have felt over the last month that I could not comment on this particular thread, simply because whatever I say will be rubbished somewhat in the name of "more accurate models". I am have felt particularly disappointed that certain comments in this thread have stood, despite in all honesty being absolutely inflammatory (whatever good intentions, for the modeller, they may have been), but there's a sense of perspective being needed in modellers today that I feel is simply not met.

Thus, I'd like to reiterate my original feelings - solid chassis block or not, this Bachmann model will provide a much needed RTR GCR locomotive for many modellers throughout the UK, and if the top echelon of modellers want to replace the chassis for their own requirements - that is entirely up to them, as it is up to Bachmann to provide a locomotive model that will perform to the requirements set upon it by the basis of its prototype in 4mm scale.

Yup its a P4 angle... Ths chassis looks lumpy and rather tweaking unfriendly - whatever.

The body looks great and the tender looks pretty decent but its the downstairs gubbins that is the rub.

Mind having numerous Bachmann dissections awaiting further attention, another one will nae be a bother :lol:

However, when you consider how the Hornby beasties like the Black 5 seems to convert easily and run well in P4 - Phillip Halls example comes to mind... I cannae help but wonder if Bachmann are missing a wee trick or three?

All that would be nice is a D10/D11 to go with the Robinson work horse now B)

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann's models are lovely above the running plate, so surely with a little more engineering design thought and, perhaps, a slightly more expensive set of manufacturing options, they can approach that same standard below the running plate.

I've been looking back through this thread, looking for the reference to the 'GW' version being produced in 2011, and have found Mike's comment above.

I have absolutely no problem with the gist of what Mike is saying here, speaking as both an OO and a P4 modeller. I accept that I will, in all likelihood, have to build a new chassis for most of my R-T-R steam locos that are going to be converted to P4, particularly if they have valve gear, but it's a poor show if that's required for a loco that's going to stay OO.

If/when I eventually get one of these 04s, it will probably stay in OO, but I will accept certain compromises in chassis appearance, provided the thing runs nicely. However, as we have seen in the threads on the Bachmann Standard 3 tanks recently, there sometimes appear to be 'issues' with running quality of certain steam outline models. This is definitely something I've experienced personally, and I even found myself last year having to build an etched brass chassis kit to improve the running of a Jinty 0-6-0T, and that was in OO!

I have said it before on here, and I'll say it again now, for what it's worth, I'd be happy to pay a bit more (to whatever manufacturer), if that ensured that running qualities out of the box were of a consistently higher level.

I accept that running-in is recommended, and those of you who have seen my old workbench threads on the old forum, or even my current blog, will see that I do do this, but there are some models that just don't seem to improve sufficiently, even after several hours of running in. Most of these running problems can be solved (I've seen reference to one contributor stripping down his Standard 3 tank and getting better running as a result), but I'm afraid that I would prefer to use my limited modelling time on other things...

• RMweb Gold

'Poor running' - due to all its various causes seems very frequently to be a result of lack of quality control amd test procedures ay some stage in the production/packing process.

I'm not sure if this step is omitted to save money and thus keep down prices for the UK market (which could really be our fault for demanding low prices) or if it isn't done simply to get product out to the dealers' shelves more quickly (which could be our fault for demanding new models at ever more frequent intervals) or if it is down to plain incompetence (definitely 'their' fault and nothing to do with us the customers).

But whichever or whatever the cause(s) we still seem to accept it, albeit with occasional moans, and nothing is done to return to the good old days of 'Tested by M3' etc which we used to get on those little attached cards with a Hornby Dublo loco. Maybe it's time to return to old-fashioned values?

• RMweb Premium

That's for this year fella, if you scroll down, you'll find the 4-CEP listed as the same. :)

Dave.

I'd bet on that being an error on the website as every product with a date says OCT/NOV, locos, wagons, coaches etc, so i would expect it to be corrected in the near future either with another date, or the not yet available symbol thingy!

Cheers, Richard

Stationmaster said :

'Poor running' - due to all its various causes seems very frequently to be a result of lack of quality control amd test procedures ay some stage in the production/packing process.

Incidentally, I find it difficult to read italics.... hope you don't mind me mentioning it. From what I've experienced and heard from fellow modellers, poor running has often been peculair to a particular loco and is not always down to lack of quality control. Like Captain Kernow's, my 3F Jinty has never been a smooth runner. It picks up current better since I shimmed the middle axle to allow it to drop below the outer axles but it still runs like it has a tight spot despite a lot of running in. My Bachmann Ivatt 2-6-2T ran as if it had oval drivers as did three of my friends. In the end he dismantled one and told me the darn wobble was "built-in". It runs a treat now with the Bachmann Ivatt 2-6-0 chassis inside it!

The Bachmann loco's that I have had showed that they can be put together badly and sweetly. Being a DCC user the only way to fit a chip in a number of the older loco's being the Ivatt 2-6-2, J39, J72, O4, B1 and others. The way they are assembled has a lot to do with the running. My J72 ran sweetly from the box but once I got into converting it to DCC I found that you could reassemble the loco "out of square" which had shocking consequences to the running but once learned how to re tweak the assembly. It was back to running more sweetly than out of the box! I think also that DCC Chips can also help in the running. I do understand that a number of modellers say why bother with DCC but I have seen some and had some fantastic results from fitting the loco's with Chips and also I think the higher voltage and current on the track has a fair bit to do with it.

I have also had problems with the older styles of the Bachmann wheels with the plastic sleave and the full metal wheels and so many of them were out of plumb as assembled and that does produce the 3 legged dog running in most of the loco's. I have noticed it more in the earlier release stuff from Bachmann and the more recent (last 4 to 5 years) has been alot better. The case in point being the B1 which I had as a Replica loco years ago. Now I have a Bachmann the drivers on the Replica were totally out being at angles to every thing. The Bachmann the drivers are alot better however the bogie wheels were bad. Though it still ran nicely until Son No 1 knocked it off the layout :angry: and managed to snap one of the spigots off the bogie wheel axle.... Now a new set of Gibsons but still not running properly. I think the only solution is to change the bogie for a Comet. Which I think I have a couple in my pile of P4 stuff that hasn't been touched since the Children came along! :blink:

As an aside on my layout I find that I use all the Bachmann locos more than Hornby due to them running more reliably! I have yet to figure the reason out yet.

Merry Christmas to all.

I have ordered 3, I REALLY need to start saving! though I might just renumber one of the BR ones and sell it on. the LNER one will be made back into GCR 8K No 26 fully painted in GCR green livery, just been collecting transfers, paints and all the brass plates I need for this project, which are now ready and waiting for Bachmann's release. It should sit nicely in my shed next to my LNWR liveried Super D :P when it is here and finished and sit even nicer at the head of my Windcutter rake. :D

Archived