Bachmann O4

Andy Y

I can sense certain detailing type companies already devising interesting strategies and solutions............

We appear to have a basically sound model - gilding, correcting and improving is the individuals choice methinks B)

Must admit though, compared to a S&DJR 2-8-0 or the GWR ones its a very ugly beast!

And all the better.......... :lol:

Gets my wallet wanting to run and hide

• RMweb Premium

I think http://www.ehattons.com/images/products/31-003_20861_Qty1_1.jpg shows up the problem well and its noticable the crosshead points at the wrong wheel. Hopefully though the cylinders are separate and the slidebars aren't too constrained at the other end and can be packed at the rear to get them correctly aligned. I wonder if the steps interfere with the slide bars or something? I can't imagine there is any running issue with having them correct.

Must admit though, compared to a S&DJR 2-8-0 or the GWR ones its a very ugly beast!

Which just proves that beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;)

Having had a quick "play" with one a few hours ago I came away very very impressed. IMHO it's one of the best steam outline models of the last ten years. Only thing I dislike is the lack of "depth" between the frames under the boiler, although that's more because I know it's there now! The one I tested was smooth and powerful, really pleasing to watch crawl around with a load on the drawbar (think we got to 30 wagons without problems, limit was amount of stock and short sidings).

Oh yes, it's a peach. Silky smooth straight from the box.

For those using Bachmann 554 21 pin decoder, it seems fine with CV 54 at 20 and CV 55 at 40. No stuttering issues as with the Super D so I don't think I'll be attacking those capacitors!

I capped the top speed with CV 5 at 40, and start voltage CV 2 at 1 (though it still needs F3 shunt speed on throughout).

CV's 3 and 4 both at 15 gives a nice smooth pick up from standing.

Very Happy,

N

• RMweb Premium

The one converted to EM using the original motor and gears, has easily handled an "equal 60" (counting bogie wagons as 2) round Retford (including a gradient on a curve!), with no problems at all. Silky smooth too. The cylinders are easily removed from the main frame block and I may well have a look tomorrow at how easy a bit of packing under the cylinders would be.

The one converted to EM using the original motor and gears, has easily handled an "equal 60" (counting bogie wagons as 2) round Retford (including a gradient on a curve!), with no problems at all. Silky smooth too. The cylinders are easily removed from the main frame block and I may well have a look tomorrow at how easy a bit of packing under the cylinders would be.

So one has been round Mr Jackson's trainset already? :blink:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Does it agree with your & Mr J's eye mind?

• RMweb Gold

Mine has arrived! She is running in as I type and is silky smooth, I'll get round to posting a few photos later on (I've forgotten where the camera's USB wire is!:scratch_one-s_head_mini:)

too true, because in my eye, the 7F is an ugly brute, and the 8K is handsome.

If anything, the Bachmann model is too handsome in its pristine black. It'll take umpteen coats of the dirtiest grey-brown imaginable before it recaptures the appearance of the ones I used to watch shunting the sidings at Woodhouse (South Yorkshire) back in the late '50s (nostalgic sighs).

• RMweb Gold

At last here are the photos of my 04 following customising, they're not the greatest photos on what is definitely not one of the greatest model railways ever (the excuse is that lighting prevents me photographing models on the scenic section in daylight)

The cab before detail painting

post-6756-127740238012_thumb.jpg

After painting,

post-6756-127740241695_thumb.jpg

The safety valves and whistle are now looking more like the real thing (or to my eyes at least!)

post-6756-127740254279.jpg

The 04 has been fitted with a crew and has been weathered VERY lightly, mainly around the buffer beams and running plate, and the 'coal' has been painted matt black, I will get round to fitting real coal to it in time.

You can count me as another very satisfied customer. Not only does the 04 look stunning but it also performs very well indeed straight out of the box.

Here's a photo of my BR Black 63601 along with a short video of it in action easily hauling no less than 50 private owner wagons on the Selby Garden Railway.

IMG_4280.jpg

You can count me as another very satisfied customer. Not only does the 04 look stunning but it also performs very well indeed straight out of the box.

Here's a photo of my BR Black 63601 along with a short video of it in action easily hauling no less than 50 private owner wagons on the Selby Garden Railway.

Now load up those wagons with coal and have it slowly slug back on the return working. :P

Oh yes, it's a peach. Silky smooth straight from the box.

....... No stuttering issues as with the Super D so I don't think I'll be attacking those capacitors!

Very Happy,

N

I didn't notice any problem with running when I first tried the loco on track and even managed to film a good few minutes of it in action, however, afterwards when changing the loco's direction I was getting stuttering movements - the loco jumping forward and then backwards, and so one by one I removed all 3 capacitors mounted over the motor in the loco. Not until all 3 had been removed did the stuttering finally disappear. It is now perfectly smooth.

Now load up those wagons with coal and have it slowly slug back on the return working. :P

I'll have a sort out and see what I can do!

i can confirm as a frodingham loco inside cab was all over filthy :) but what a super model running as smooth as silk straight from the box .i fired most of the 36c locos in my time there and dont recall one in bright new pin order but dont remember them ever going to works .i think they where exempt :lol: just right for thrashing up gunhouse bank behind another one and a train of iron ore i can see the guards face now poor soul.

2 out of the 3 Bachmann 8K's have arrived at Wenchford this morning, here are some photos of them fresh from their boxes, just wait for the 3rd one before work starts on them. plus there is a short low res video sample which can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=KZLtDaQbAlQ

Looks like I'm going to have to send my 63601 back - mine doesn't sound anything like that (just got a bit of a 'clicking' sound) and for the life of me I can't get it to whistle... :rolleyes:

• RMweb Premium

So one has been round Mr Jackson's trainset already? :blink:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Does it agree with your & Mr J's eye mind?

He regards it as more than acceptable. In fact, he wants more! If it was down to me I would like to sort out the cylinder/slidebar situation but it really isn't that bad.

I did look yesterday and although packing under the cylinders would be easy, the slidebar bracket/step moulding will need a bit of care as the moulded holes for the back of the slidebars are too low down. The steps are in the right place. So you can't just file some off the top of the bracket and raise it up. It would need new holes making, higher up.

Quite frankly, I wonder if it is a big enough problem to warrant the risk of messing up a very smooth running loco!

• RMweb Gold

Notwithstanding the discussion on the cylinders & slidebars, there does appear to be a 'bend' in the connecting rod, which I assume to be for clearance purposes - I'm not sure I'm too comfortable with that kind of thing, just wondered what others felt?

Archived