The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Define "Serious Modeller".....

F-UnitMad

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, MattR said:

No livermush? Or are you a fellow Philly expat in the South?

I did try liver mush, but prefer scrapple. BTW, the brand of mush available here is NEESE'S. They did offer "Country Scrapple" but either they quit making it or the local IGA did not sell enough to continue to stock it. Note that it was edible but I much prefer the Habbersetts shown above. I have to go to Publix in Rock Hill for that.

Note, I am from Baltimore so scrapple was readily available in almost all of the grocery stores.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I did try liver mush, but prefer scrapple. BTW, the brand of mush available here is NEESE'S. They did offer "Country Scrapple" but either they quit making it or the local IGA did not sell enough to continue to stock it. Note that it was edible but I much prefer the Habbersetts shown above. I have to go to Publix in Rock Hill for that.

Note, I am from Baltimore so scrapple was readily available in almost all of the grocery stores.

Very nice! I do love my scrapple but livermush is a serviceable substitute, and always Neese's. I used to live in your general neck of the woods -- 8 years in Gastonia (2006-2014) and the wife and I had a few anniversary vacations at the old Inn on York Street there in Chester. The Summit had the best barbecue I've had outside eastern N.C. Seems both are closed now.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dagworth said:

Bulleid’s 4DD unit at Ipswich en route to Snailwell for scrapping. 

IMG_1265.jpeg.f552d2b9773cacb99b18bc5dda6b6754.jpeg

Typical - you wait ages for one, then four come along at once.... 🙄🤣

Maybe put one on a road overbridge on the club layout at it's next Show. A different take on an old cliché.... 😉😁👍

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

• 6 months later...
On 19/10/2023 at 14:13, J. S. Bach said:

Not always necessary, this motor that I shot on a Saturday turned out to have left the paintshop the Tuesday before:

GreenvilleWesternPelzerSC.jpg.0e05c4f46e3997ac397cb076d431b163.jpg

Somewhat off-topic, but I never expected to see a G&W photo on RMweb... visited the area a few times back when I was planning to model the Piedmont & Northern (specifically Honea Path) around 1952. Nice area, and interesting railway history. The Ware Shoals RR could be an interesting inspiration for a small layout, too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 20/10/2023 at 15:26, MattR said:

8 years in Gastonia (2006-2014)

Small world, I visited Gastonia in 2007 in the course of investigating P&N locations to possibly model (was thinking about the P&N yard and the stretch of street running).

• Like 2

On 14/10/2023 at 16:05, PaulRhB said:

No excuse in the smaller scales either. 

Freemo USA 2018 Armitage

Epsom Freemo South 2023

Epsom Freemo South 2023

Doing your bit to feed the nation!

They should be called Mr Kripling  the amount of sugar they have ...mind you very yummy

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, friscopete said:

They should be called Mr Kripling  the amount of sugar they have ...mind you very yummy

The work medical nurse did a cholesterol test and commented, “you appear to be perfectly evolved to eat cake”, for some reason she refused to write that down 😁

At the secret forefront of evolution!  🤣

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
On 20/10/2023 at 11:26, MattR said:

Very nice! I do love my scrapple but livermush is a serviceable substitute, and always Neese's. I used to live in your general neck of the woods -- 8 years in Gastonia (2006-2014) and the wife and I had a few anniversary vacations at the old Inn on York Street there in Chester. The Summit had the best barbecue I've had outside eastern N.C. Seems both are closed now.

And I never, ever thought that I would see the long-gone Summit Restaurant mentioned on RMweb. It did close several years ago and the owner opened a new place on the Bypass by the L&C crossing. That closed (bad management, mainly) and now the new owners call it "Buttermilk's".

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 11/05/2024 at 21:27, J. S. Bach said:

And I never, ever thought that I would see the long-gone Summit Restaurant mentioned on RMweb. It did close several years ago and the owner opened a new place on the Bypass by the L&C crossing. That closed (bad management, mainly) and now the new owners call it "Buttermilk's".

Sad to hear that! They had some great food there. I used to love to get the livermush omelet at 125 North Main/Christopher's/Grits & Greens in Gastonia (well, technically Lowell), but we recently discovered it too had closed in 2022. So many good places gone.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

If you are ever in Chester, SC, I recommend Gene's first (breakfast & lunch, they close at 1400) and The Cyclone second (lunch & dinner, they open at 1100). Another is Italian Garden, we do a Wednesday evening dinner meeting there.

• Like 1

*polite cough*

Bringing this back round to Serious Modelling.... what's the minimum radius that Standard Gauge (32mm) American 2-rail O Scale can negotiate?

Well, depending on what stock you use, aproximately 9 & 5/8 inch radius.... 👍👍😝😝

20240317_215149.jpg.3be7ae6c31325afea0b2a618299cc2c4.jpg

20240317_215250.jpg.80eb0a9fc83e3efd576821cf1a89abfd.jpg

Now that is seriously tight!! 😂

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

2-rail O Scale can negotiate?

I like that it's DCC..

So's the R1 circle that goes round my Xmas tree.

I'll see if I can find a picture of my Esteemed Brother's "railroad on a can of beer" if we're going that direction...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/10/2023 at 16:05, PaulRhB said:

No excuse in the smaller scales either. 

Epsom Freemo South 2023

Doing your bit to feed the nation!

I suppose that Mel did deserve nourishment after wielding his mallet to adjust all the modules🙂

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

*polite cough*

Bringing this back round to Serious Modelling.... what's the minimum radius that Standard Gauge (32mm) American 2-rail O Scale can negotiate?

Well, depending on what stock you use, aproximately 9 & 5/8 inch radius.... 👍👍😝😝

20240317_215250.jpg.80eb0a9fc83e3efd576821cf1a89abfd.jpg

Now that is seriously tight!! 😂

I have an uncompleted module 8' x 2' with a loop at one end, a two-car train of WB&A 200s will go around the loop of somewhat less than 10" radius. Here are some photos of the trackage:

100_0361.JPG.0f77f4f7c3774bbbb84ccbeaa7dc6c13.JPG

100_0362.JPG.57de6e64c3d124e4c5e5c9654a9eb141.JPG

And here is the pair of 200s:

100_1091.jpg.d9ddde26137bee7c20a636f7f7f0b0e3.jpg

Different car on a friend's layout, note that the three-rail Lionel boxcar has derailed due to the 12" radius while the box motor went through with no problem:

100_5696.JPG.24a30e9b084719430b18b964259e1739.JPG

EDIT: Note that a two-car train of those 200s was going to be the ruling spec for the layout.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2