The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Glasses cases

spikey

Having paid Messrs Specsavers a small fortune for a couple of pairs of glasses a few months ago, I now find that both the cases they came in have rendered themselves next to useless.  The metal springy things have bust and fallen out.

Is it actually possible to buy at a reasonable price such a thing as a glasses case that's well made, fit for purpose, and can be expected to last more than a matter of weeks?  

• RMweb Gold

The most recent ones I've got came in cases that look like they're made of some kind of recycled card, rather than the old plastic clamshell type or the soft ones. I've never had any of them fail though, but then I wear the glasses all the time so rarely use the cases...  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, The Pilotman said:

When this has happened to me in the past, Specsavers have provided replacement cases. 

But alas now they've changed over to a really naff cheapo variety with a press-stud to keep it closed (while it lasts)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

This isn't cheap, but I've seen them on offer before through their online shop.  Plus it does at least support the London Transport Museum.

Several different designs are available.  The case that I have has, so far, lasted a couple of years.

https://www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk/clothing/clothing-accessories/accessories/glasses-case-underground-lines

• Like 3

The only time I use a case for glasses is to pack a spare pair when travelling. I wear my glasses (readers) on a cord at all times. I know it’s not the height of fashion, but it means I don’t have to search for them (in or out of a glasses case) when I want to use them. And I don’t have to find a case for them when I’m going outside and won’t need them for distance vision.

• Round of applause 1

33 minutes ago, pH said:

The only time I use a case for glasses is to pack a spare pair when travelling. I wear my glasses (readers) on a cord at all times. I know it’s not the height of fashion, but it means I don’t have to search for them (in or out of a glasses case) when I want to use them. And I don’t have to find a case for them when I’m going outside and won’t need them for distance vision.

An equally near sighted  colleague and I at adjacent desks a few years ago did that. Then one day we heard one of the youngsters directing someone to the printer  - "Down there on the left, just past Hinge and Bracket". 

• Funny 12

14 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

An equally near sighted  colleague and I at adjacent desks a few years ago did that. Then one day we heard one of the youngsters directing someone to the printer  - "Down there on the left, just past Hinge and Bracket". 

So what did you do?

23 hours ago, Wheatley said:

22 hours ago, pH said:

So what did you do?

21 hours ago, Reorte said:

I'd have been amazed at a youngster having heard of Hinge and Bracket!

I'd have their browser caches investigated....

Back to glasses cases.

I've a couple of "inexpensive" cases that I got from Home Bargains a while ago, rather than springs/buttons/whatever, they close with a zip around 2/3rds of the case.  The main advantage is that they're not as difficult to open as some sprung cases, and they don't try to bite your fingers off when closing them!

And so far, they're durable!

Edited by Hroth
Getting back on topic...
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1