Better wheels for a 4p compound. N gauge

rogerdee

Hi does anyone know or have a suggestion where I can get new wheels for this so I can replace the cookie cutter ones. Maybe spares from a current or not so older model or a different company.

Thanks 

Edited by rogerdee
Change title

• rogerdee changed the title to Better wheels for a 4p compound. N gauge

Could you fit a reversed Dapol M7 chassis and make it into 2P rather than a compound.

I'll bet you can pick up an old one quite cheaply now they have the newer version.

The good news would be that the motor would be at the boiler end so better for you to add weight to the drivers which the M7 lacked.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Could you fit a reversed Dapol M7 chassis and make it into 2P rather than a compound.

I'll bet you can pick up an old one quite cheaply now they have the newer version.

The good news would be that the motor would be at the boiler end so better for you to add weight to the drivers which the M7 lacked.

1 hour ago, rogerdee said:

Thanks for the idea,it wasn't something I thought of but worth looking into.

I liked that as an idea, but having just looked at a 2P body I suspect that it would require a lot of hacking to get the Dapol chassis to fit. 

1 minute ago, Kris said:

I liked that as an idea, but having just looked at a 2P body I suspect that it would require a lot of hacking to get the Dapol chassis to fit. 

Maybe, but that is going to be an old chassis in that loco already, so even an older Dapol M7 is going to be more modern by comparison.

However, it was only a suggestion, I don't know what the old chassis looks like, I sold mine so I cannot look, the M7 did of course benefit from side tanks to make space for the motor that a 2P or 4P would not have.

The next best would be an actual 4-4-0 chassis from a Union Mills loco, but then you might as well just purchase a secondhand 2P.

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Maybe, but that is going to be an old chassis in that loco already, so even an older Dapol M7 is going to be more modern by comparison.

However, it was only a suggestion, I don't know what the old chassis looks like, I sold mine so I cannot look, the M7 did of course benefit from side tanks to make space for the motor that a 2P or 4P would not have.

The next best would be an actual 4-4-0 chassis from a Union Mills loco, but then you might as well just purchase a secondhand 2P.

The 2p has a solid lump under the smokebox which I think would interfere and it is this would get in the way. 

• 1 month later...