Are there any ready-to-print 3mm scale STLs available online?

Lacathedrale

I'm experimenting with turning my 3D printing and modelling skills to the railways, after a sojourn elsewhere - and it seems of all places that 3mm/ft would benefit most from the affordability of resin 3D printers and the scale being somewhat economical to print without having the structural issues that crop up in 2mm/ft.

While I'm a lapsed member of the society (I stumbled on getting a locomotive together), I would feel a good deal better if I could get some rolling stock bodies painted and arranged to get a feel for how a 3mm layout might look in my space before potentially rejoining and investigating what's on offer commercially.

Thank you,

William

Edited by Lacathedrale

40 minutes ago, SteveM666 said:

You could start by taking an existing .stl in 4mm and scaling it in the software to 3mm.

Well, yes - but I don't know where to find quality 4mm STLs either and I imagine it would be less prevalent (despite the disparity in popularity) since everything under the sun has a 4mm model!

Edited by Lacathedrale

I can’t say I know specific sites for what you are looking for, but when I started I just googled subjects like Railway, trains, coaches etc plus the stl file suffix. And of course, thingiverse and other similar sites that google will throw at you.

That will throw up many ‘rabbit holes’ to disappear down.

On 24/10/2023 at 15:31, SteveM666 said:

You could start by taking an existing .stl in 4mm and scaling it in the software to 3mm.

Many files available on thingiverse  try iron mink design currently has 100 plus free files wagons and some buildings. His designes are full size and need scaling in your chosen slicer program to .99% don't forget the point!!

2mm / n gauge will scale up and thicken up but some 4mm stuff is too thin when scaled and will fail.

As some one else has said it's a rabbit hole you will loose several hours searching for files

https://www.thingiverse.com/ironmink/designs ... free fils

https://cults3d.com/en

Some free and some to pay

G

• 3 months later...
On 27/10/2023 at 00:46, bradfordbuffer said:

i use this conversion chart for scaling 

it was not my work, it is copied from Exeter central 3mm web page, hope they don't mind posting hear.

hope its of some use to some one

G

image.png.d6a137df0cb23ec6475d2c8d52b406e4.png

Thanks for this useful chart, it's exactly what I've been looking for.

For some obscure reason I find myself  getting into 3mm and 3D printing simultaneously, so things like this are a gidsend!

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Thanks for this useful chart, it's exactly what I've been looking for.

For some obscure reason I find myself  getting into 3mm and 3D printing simultaneously, so things like this are a gidsend!

Down the rabbit hole you go!

The printing I've got boxed off would love to go on a course for drawing....I've tried online tutorials but just like at school I'm easily distracted and start yo twang my rule!

What era are you hoping to model 3mm in?

1 hour ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Down the rabbit hole you go!

The printing I've got boxed off would love to go on a course for drawing....I've tried online tutorials but just like at school I'm easily distracted and start yo twang my rule!

What era are you hoping to model 3mm in?

Down the Rabbit Hole indeed!😁

I'll be modelling 1930s GWR

• Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Down the Rabbit Hole indeed!😁

I'll be modelling 1930s GWR

Well a drive for one of the streamlined railcars would be easy enough.....😉

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/10/2023 at 15:08, Lacathedrale said:

I'm experimenting with turning my 3D printing and modelling skills to the railways, after a sojourn elsewhere - and it seems of all places that 3mm/ft would benefit most from the affordability of resin 3D printers and the scale being somewhat economical to print without having the structural issues that crop up in 2mm/ft.

While I'm a lapsed member of the society (I stumbled on getting a locomotive together), I would feel a good deal better if I could get some rolling stock bodies painted and arranged to get a feel for how a 3mm layout might look in my space before potentially rejoining and investigating what's on offer commercially.

Thank you,

William

Forgot to add 

Thingivers Chap from NZ rescaled his ho class 58 to 3mm with thicker walls and also got a 04 in ho just scale in slicer

Google search thingiverse class 58 3mm

Edited by bradfordbuffer