The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Euro 6 status

Nick C

• RMweb Gold

I drive a 2015 Vauxhall Astra. Not the most exciting of cars, but it does what I need it to. Given the recent expansion of the London ULEZ, I thought I'd better check it's status, as it doesn't state it on the V5, and the registration date is right on the borderline.

TfL checker - not elegible, £12.50 per day.

Phoned Vauxhall - yes, it's Euro 6b.

TfL website - ok, you can register it with us, you'll need a certificate of conformity - which from Vauxhall is 220 euro.

DVLA - yep, we can change it, you need a certificate of conformity.

220 euro just to prove something they should already know, as it must've been type-approved at the time...

• Friendly/supportive 13

Why would TfL charge you a euro fee for a certificate of conformity?

I was going to ask if you plan to drive the car within the M25 more than 17 or 18 times in the time you plan to own the car. But I'd double check why it is a euro fee first

EDIT - OK  I checked - that's Vauxhall's charge. (although the link I first found said £195 for a Vauxhall

Edited by The Lurker

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

Why would TfL charge you a euro fee for a certificate of conformity?

I was going to ask if you plan to drive the car within the M25 more than 17 or 18 times in the time you plan to own the car. But I'd double check why it is a euro fee first

EDIT - OK  I checked - that's Vauxhall's charge. (although the link I first found said £195 for a Vauxhall

Yep, that's the fee from Vauxhall (standard PSA group one) - £195 is about the same depending on exchange rate...

But yes, I'm not planning to drive within the M25 if I can avoid it - I was more intending to future-proof myself against other such zones appearing (though they all seem to have different rules!), or if I ever decided to sell the car - it'd obviously be more desirable if it was compliant.

15 minutes ago, micklner said:

I thought it was for vehicles registered before 2009 ??.

It's different for petrol or Diesel - for the latter it needs to be Euro 6, which was mandatory from September 2015 - my car being registered in the February, but with a Euro 6 compliant engine

30 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Yep, that's the fee from Vauxhall (standard PSA group one) - £195 is about the same depending on exchange rate...

That's a bit of a rip-off if you ask me.  The Certificate of Conformity for my two Skodas was free of charge.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Our last 4 cars came with the EU Certificate of Conformity included with the documentation supplied by the dealer.

They did say, treat them like gold dust and that was well before the ULEZ scheme was even on the horizon.

Mine was ex-lease, so I suspect if anything was provided it'd have gone to the lease company rather than the original keeper. All I got was a printout of the service records.