Did you know that Lance Mindheim has a blog?

shortliner

It is here, http://shelflayouts.com/blog.htm  and if yo scroll to the bottom of the page there is a simple started layout and instructions - it would make a good beginers layout in HO or N gauge and could be transported across the pond, and built as a UK layout too

Lance is greedy and has 2 blogs http://www.lancemindheim.com/blog.htm

and could be transported across the pond, and built as a UK layout too

Rumor has it that people model US style in the most outlandish places in the UK, Jack...........

Seriously, anyone planning a small jewel-like layout should read Lance's stuff (mind you, the second blog is just a little weird).

Thanks for bringing it to our attention, my friend.

Best, Pete.

Curious, the topic of model railroad blogs was just brought up on Trainorders.com. See: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,2227391.

Lance is on the forefront of what's going on in transforming the hobby here in the US. Less track, better materials, better techniques -- sounds a bit like what I see in Britain.

I sent Lance an email a coupl of weeks ago asking for help with aspects of 'modern' prototype ballasting techniques. His replies were very helpful and I'm busy following his recommendations.

I just wish I could remember where it was that I saw his article on detailling turnouts. I have it somewhere, but can't for the life of me find the article.

Jon

Jon..I'm guessing you are thinking of Model Railroders special issue "How to build Realistic Reliable track"...theres a good article by Lance about super detailing points...it was sold until Nov. 2009

Cheers

Gene

........and speaking of Lances blog, his main site has developed a most interesting section on Industrial Parks. There was a question asked a while back about how one would develop a fictional shortline - go to Helena, Arkansas, follow the link given, and then look at the section called "Revisionist History". It will give you some ideas about how to set up one using an "alternate" historical time-frame, and the sort of traffic that shortline would move, and develop its business. Great for anyone interested in the whole concept. Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with.

........and speaking of Lances blog, his main site has developed a most interesting section on Industrial Parks. There was a question asked a while back about how one would develop a fictional shortline - go to Helena, Arkansas, follow the link given, and then look at the section called "Revisionist History". It will give you some ideas about how to set up one using an "alternate" historical time-frame, and the sort of traffic that shortline would move, and develop its business. Great for anyone interested in the whole concept. Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with.

Sorry Jack .....

I am being a bit dense today ...cannot find which part you are talking about :( ?????

Regards Trevor ......

I note the use of "Extruded Foam" for baseboard tops; something that's become very popular and oft recommended Stateside. It seems to be easily available over there from Builders Merchants etc; anyone know if it's available in the UK? I've not seen it anywhere... :(

• RMweb Gold

I must not be looking properly! D'oh!

Focus sell it as well, but it tends to be tucked away in non-obvious locations in the shop. The brand is usually Knauf - ask for "spaceboard" loft insulation if you're not getting anywhere.

Archived