Smallish sub-shed near bigger shed

TomJ

I ‘think’ what I’m looking for is something that will fill a bit of a gap on the layout and give me an excuse to show off my too large loco collection rather than hiding them all in the fiddle yard! I’m also rather fond of the GWR Churchward style sheds and the coaling stages with the water tank above!

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TomJ said:

I’m not against a turntable but it’s the challenge of fitting and motorising it in N gauge that concerns me! Far better to assume there is a triangle nearby on which locos are turned!!!

Cheltenham Malvern Road could send smaller locomotives to the turntable at St James. Larger engines were turned on the Hatherley triangle (the junction for Kingham and the MSWJR). It's ideal!

It even saw LNER types in wartime.

LNER 2073 Cheltenham - Copy.jpg

Edited by Welchester
Added Eastern flavour.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, TomJ said:

I ‘think’ what I’m looking for is something that will fill a bit of a gap on the layout and give me an excuse to show off my too large loco collection rather than hiding them all in the fiddle yard! I’m also rather fond of the GWR Churchward style sheds and the coaling stages with the water tank above!

I think what you might be after is along the lines of the sites I mentioned but without the tuntable because iof space constraints.  So you're looking for a couple of sidings, proably with one of them having a pit, a water column, a small shed or building to accommodate tools and materials (not much of the latter) for maybe a resident Fitter, and a small building to act as the Enginemen's cabin while they wait their next job

There were various examples of this around England - in particular - although those at the larger stations dealing with long distance trains usually had a turntable but some 0 such as Moorgate on the Widened Lines just had a couple of separate sidings.  They were basically found at stations where, going back to your original question - the loco depot was too far away for incoming engines to go to and from.  So there were examples at London Bridge, London Liverpool St, London Waterloo, Liverpool Lime St and so on.  And some of there were in very close proximity to the station platforms

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

I think what you might be after is along the lines of the sites I mentioned but without the tuntable because iof space constraints.  So you're looking for a couple of sidings, proably with one of them having a pit, a water column, a small shed or building to accommodate tools and materials (not much of the latter) for maybe a resident Fitter, and a small building to act as the Enginemen's cabin while they wait their next job

There were various examples of this around England - in particular - although those at the larger stations dealing with long distance trains usually had a turntable but some 0 such as Moorgate on the Widened Lines just had a couple of separate sidings.  They were basically found at stations where, going back to your original question - the loco depot was too far away for incoming engines to go to and from.  So there were examples at London Bridge, London Liverpool St, London Waterloo, Liverpool Lime St and so on.  And some of there were in very close proximity to the station platforms

That's just reminded me of the Cannon Street station shed (which was actually south of the river). It was a sort of not-quite-roundhouse built on a very constrained site over a viaduct. Despite going out of use immediately after electrification in the early 20s, I've always thought it would make a very striking layout.

Back in the day I wrote it off as impractally early timeframe requiring too much kit building and painting complicated liveries, but you could have a good stab at it nowadays, even pre-grouping, using RTR models! Shows how far we've come in little over a decade.

Edited by Forward!
  • Like 2