LNER Doncaster - Gresley, the streamliners and all that jazz

LNER4479

Yes looks a great plan. There is not much of the East coast mainline left to be modelled. If I am right we have Peterborough north, Grantham, now Doncaster and York and Edinburgh Waverley. How about them all connected together at the nec. Maybe Pete Waterman could build Kings Cross and maybe Copenhagen fields in 4mm.

Keith

• Like 3

There's examples of North London industrial, Edgware branch, Potters Bar, Hitchin and Peterborough available, and one day when my layout room is finally cleared of the furniture of the recently deceased and the house extension project is finalised, I will resume Hatfield (Herts).

And I bet there are more for exhibiting the 'Grand Parade of Flamboyant Velocity on the line Miles Beevor all others'. We need Star Trek transporter technology and about six miles of unused LT tube tunnel.

• Like 2

Finding myself attracted, or compelled by necessity, to activities outside of railway modelling too, I'm finding just one reasonably small, oval, portable layout quite enough to work on, when attempting to stick to something like finescale standards (OO fine). I really don't know how you find time and headspace to deal with several projects in parallel.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KeithHC said:

Yes looks a great plan. There is not much of the East coast mainline left to be modelled. If I am right we have Peterborough north, Grantham, now Doncaster and York and Edinburgh Waverley. How about them all connected together at the nec. Maybe Pete Waterman could build Kings Cross and maybe Copenhagen fields in 4mm.

Keith

+ Little Bytham and Retford.

• Agree 2

Many thanks for the post LNER4479! I've been waiting many - too many - years for this opportunity and bought my latest property with the absolute requirement for such a space.

Although the bulk for my stock is 1930s LNER - including every Gresley Pacific, P2 and the W1 -  I do also have a few post-war Thompson and Peppercorn locomotives as well as of course Tornado and Prince of Wales... and a few foreigners which will be allowed out occasionally.

We'd be most grateful of any period photos and information that people have as we progress the project over the next few years.

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

Latest visit today.

PXL_20231121_125154034.jpg.eb30ca8c55322e2911178ab54393909e.jpg

There'd been a major box shifting exercise since last visit (3 weeks ago), on the back of the Newcastle show (ultimately abortive), so that was welcome and helped with the first task of the day - construct baseboard for south end of the station.

PXL_20231121_150207538.jpg.a78a64f736288425ff721df5e9cfb448.jpg

And a few hours later ...

This should give a good idea of that end of the room, which I wasn't able to show last time round. You can just see the annoying pillar, extreme left, which juts into the room and has influenced the trackplan. It probably holds the building up though, so perhaps we shouldn't be too hard on it?

PXL_20231121_150607182.jpg.730b94b4c1e247689642ae4805c6c0ff.jpg

Of more interest (possibly?), this is intended to show that the left hand side (Doncaster station) is higher than the right hand side (fiddle yard); this is part of a split gradient arrangement to assist with linking the lower and higher levels.

PXL_20231121_172210883.jpg.6ba1aeceef4bb0d4afdb14891597ccab.jpg

Anyhow, with that done, attention turned to tracklaying, seen here in full flow(!)

PXL_20231121_204557591.jpg.e09bb8d3ba5ff5759fa2c79a78798aa6.jpg

And this is where I got to. The north end of the lower level fiddle yard now complete (in terms of track being laid)

PXL_20231121_204638066.jpg.05d64c3fd793347a5561e3f208c12e8b.jpg

Part of the time taken involved fitting these links to point motors, before laying the other tracks on top. Point motors underneath would have been possible but not in all cases. Besides, point motors on top of baseboards are easier to work on.

PXL_20231121_204610895.jpg.ef83a178ae6072f85d245995ef273599.jpg

Viewed from the other end, this shows the start of the next ladder of points, the exit from the 'up' circuit.

Similar work programmed for next visit, hopefully this side of the festive season.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 17
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

My Grandfather was a goods guard in the period at Doncaster so when we were small he used to take us to the station and tell stories as we watched Deltics and later HST’s. Sadly he never took photos but he did transfer his appreciation of the LNER so looking forward to the build as Grantham is a great layout to watch. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, D-A-T said:

It’s a pity it wasn’t set in an earlier time period. I’ve always wanted to see my hometown station in GNR Edwardian times.

45A1EBCB-AC31-4183-A238-E6E256A3D26E.jpeg

9CB45D81-30D8-4B54-A628-75F9552C859B.jpeg

Fascinating. Thank you for posting.

Some questions however regarding the large number of equine motive power units on display.

Did someone have to go round sweeping-up before the photographs were taken?

Did a member of the station staff have a permanent job to tidy up the 'residue'?

Were there hosepipes for sluicing down?

I'm not sure I have seen any reference to this before.

But the problem would have needed managing, especially on a hot day.

Perhaps everyone was just so used to hot and sweaty people and hot and sweaty horses that the additional smells didn't register?

Some nice Yorkshire Coal smoke might have come as a relief!

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 hours ago, D-A-T said:

It’s a pity it wasn’t set in an earlier time period. I’ve always wanted to see my hometown station in GNR Edwardian times.

45A1EBCB-AC31-4183-A238-E6E256A3D26E.jpeg

9CB45D81-30D8-4B54-A628-75F9552C859B.jpeg

Yes, compelling aren't they?  Have come across them (or very similar) in our research.

Have you found the one of the Royal train passing through?

http://www.archive-images.co.uk/index.search.php?sid=535898&img=3

But it's challenging enough building in the 1930s as it is; going back a further generation ... well, I think would make it a lifetime's work.

Away from the new Art Deco station building, much of the GNR intrastructure was still in place so there is the potential for there to be quite a period feel of the place, including the platform canopies. Just come across the following Ben Brooksbank photo (via Wikimedia) which I think illustrates that well.

Doncaster_station_View_NE,_towards_York_

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Just come across the following Ben Brooksbank photo (via Wikimedia) which I think illustrates that well.

I’ve previously found his photos of Paddington and Temple Meads very useful (via Geograph).  His is an excellent resource.

Paul.

• Agree 2

• 2 months later...

Latest update, actually a combination of two recent visits.

PXL_20240123_124204260.jpg.96027c22b1ae6faebeb906ddb8f2b651.jpg

We're now at the (exciting) stage whereby the boards for Doncaster station itself need constructing. This eight foot board should support the south end junctions and southern half of the station.

PXL_20240123_161143225.jpg.20e440c80c4bf88a155e37f59da84340.jpg

One suitably braced (honest), top board is fastened down.

PXL_20240123_161218306.jpg.0f71c32681eb627471d1ac0ae7e1eeb9.jpg

The view the other way shows how the shape and layout of the fiddle yard tracks are designed to match the orientation of the station boards so as to maintain the access space to be a reasonably credible 2ft 6" min. See track plan in post #1.

PXL_20240206_170044428.jpg.728b8080c85611512f53ca56c1724b5d.jpg

Attention then switched to further tracklaying in the fiddle yard area.

PXL_20240206_224827180.jpg.7e421fc15e519e24cf3347dced79a992.jpg

And here we are at 'draw stumps'. The fiddle yard beginning to take shape and pretty much 'as planned'. For now at least.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Does this look a bit familiar?

I too have been asked to help with a model of Doncaster, this time set in the 1970s, in EM Gauge. These were built from a railway plan, which gave us the footprint, plus much brick counting and photograph taking! The roof arrangements took some sorting out, mainly from old aerial photos, plus Google Earth.DSCN2307.JPG.788db0e624d13cb3d3d4b5269814eab4.JPGDSCN2306.JPG.860fd593fce289d90b4f35144e6fe1a3.JPG

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Thanks Tony - impressive work.

I take it those are the buildings on Platform 1-3? And to scale? We unfortunately are having to compromise in both length and width - both up and down island platforms will be shorter and (particularly) narrower than they should be.

Feel free to share any further images of your work on 'Doncaster 1970'.

Whilst it is very clearly being built to a commendably high standard with maximum possible authenticity, the number of years since Doncaster 1970 was conceived and started, plus the number of years it will probably still take before it becomes even a reasonably complete/convincing working model would be entirely beyond my patience/interest/attention span.  Credit is due to those who can tolerate such a long gestation period.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 07/02/2024 at 19:00, LNER4479 said:

Latest update, actually a combination of two recent visits.

PXL_20240123_124204260.jpg.96027c22b1ae6faebeb906ddb8f2b651.jpg

We're now at the (exciting) stage whereby the boards for Doncaster station itself need constructing. This eight foot board should support the south end junctions and southern half of the station.

PXL_20240123_161143225.jpg.20e440c80c4bf88a155e37f59da84340.jpg

One suitably braced (honest), top board is fastened down.

PXL_20240123_161218306.jpg.0f71c32681eb627471d1ac0ae7e1eeb9.jpg

The view the other way shows how the shape and layout of the fiddle yard tracks are designed to match the orientation of the station boards so as to maintain the access space to be a reasonably credible 2ft 6" min. See track plan in post #1.

PXL_20240206_170044428.jpg.728b8080c85611512f53ca56c1724b5d.jpg

Attention then switched to further tracklaying in the fiddle yard area.

PXL_20240206_224827180.jpg.7e421fc15e519e24cf3347dced79a992.jpg

And here we are at 'draw stumps'. The fiddle yard beginning to take shape and pretty much 'as planned'. For now at least.

Looking good I must say! The fiddle yard now has a 10 coach train sitting in it for measurement purposes although we will need to be able to accommodate my full length 1938 Flying Scotsman!

21 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Does this look a bit familiar?

I too have been asked to help with a model of Doncaster, this time set in the 1970s, in EM Gauge. These were built from a railway plan, which gave us the footprint, plus much brick counting and photograph taking! The roof arrangements took some sorting out, mainly from old aerial photos, plus Google Earth.DSCN2307.JPG.788db0e624d13cb3d3d4b5269814eab4.JPGDSCN2306.JPG.860fd593fce289d90b4f35144e6fe1a3.JPG

Thanks for sharing - looks fantastic. We must keep in touch as our projects progress. You are much further on than we are!

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, gr.king said:

Whilst it is very clearly being built to a commendably high standard with maximum possible authenticity, the number of years since Doncaster 1970 was conceived and started, plus the number of years it will probably still take before it becomes even a reasonably complete/convincing working model would be entirely beyond my patience/interest/attention span.  Credit is due to those who can tolerate such a long gestation period.

It has only been 50 years since it was decided to build it. You can't rush these things. Not much happened other than the gathering of information and stock for the first fortysomething.

I am with you 100%. I would have lost interest and decided to model something less ambitious years (or decades) ago but I do admire those with the vision and staying power to keep going.

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Mark Allatt said:

Thanks for sharing - looks fantastic. We must keep in touch as our projects progress. You are much further on than we are!

Thanks Mark,

That is kind but you will be leaping ahead now. I used to visit John one day a week to work on his layout. All the points are built, the three signal boxes, St James Bridge is done and the Plant Works footbridge is nearly there. The fiddle yard baseboards are made and some track is laid in them and the first few boards for the scenic section are built. Then Covid hit, my visits stopped and so did progress. John (Phillips) has been talking about me starting up going again for the last two years but the workroom got used for storage and other purposes and it all needs sorting out before there is anywhere to work.

I will be seeing John on Saturday at the Doncaster show. I will tell him what you are up to and it might kick him into gear.

John did collect a huge amount of information, so if you are stuck for anything, let me know and I will see if he can help. I will follow your build with great interest.

You may not remember but you and I met at the naming ceremony for Tornado, back in 2009. I used to knock about with Malcolm Crawley and he took me along as a guest. We chatted about you thoughts on doing a P2 next!

Best wishes,

Tony Gee

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Thanks Tony - impressive work.

I take it those are the buildings on Platform 1-3? And to scale? We unfortunately are having to compromise in both length and width - both up and down island platforms will be shorter and (particularly) narrower than they should be.

Feel free to share any further images of your work on 'Doncaster 1970'.

You are quite correct. Pl 1 to 4 (as it was , it is now 3). They are the buildings at the South end. There is another to do, around the same length but not as complex or tall, for the North end. I have been looking through my various albums and have taken very few photos of the project. I will try to get some more.

For the scale, the big problem is the width. From the front wall of the Plant to the wall alongside Pl 1 is 5ft 6ins to scale. Not easy to reach over that when it is down one side of a loft! The project is to scale length from St James Bridge to North Bridge. John has a 55ft long loft, so we don't struggle with the length.

Shrinking it will actually probably result in a more balanced and visually appealing layout. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I will be seeing John on Saturday at the Doncaster show. I will tell him what you are up to and it might kick him into gear.

John did collect a huge amount of information, so if you are stuck for anything, let me know and I will see if he can help. I will follow your build with great interest.

In which case, do feel free to come and find us on 'Shap' on Saturday. In fact, I think I might have already had a chat with John at the York show. I am somewhat remiss at not following up that conversation at the time but no matter - we've still to get stuck into the nitty-gritty of the station detail. At some point, I'll need to draw up a condensed version of the buildings you are making; the source information may well be useful when we get to that stage.

• Like 1