Sound fitted class 14

meatloaf

I noticed my local shop had these in today.

They look very interesting but i hesitated to buy it with it being an 0-6-0, albeit with a bigger wheelbase than the 08 that i had issues with cutting out on pointwork.

So if anyones had a sound fitted one id appriciate your thoughts :)

ok, well mine is going back to the shop as it has a very slight wobble! not bad, but not right for 220 pounds. I'll exchange it and see how a replacement one runs. 

positives

- it looks lovely v nice livery application and handrails and steps so fine

- v good slow speed control

- doesn't stall v much at all as wheel base is longer than an 08

- sound is good, I think the 08 and 40 are better though.

negatives

- no lights (you'd think they could have put a light behind the headcode box and a cab light). a bit lazy by Bachmann.

- no stay alive. again lazy by Bachmann. mine didn't stall hardly at all, however sometimes the sound cut out for half a second.  I have electrofrog points, those with insulfrog will likely have more issues.

- very slight wobble, but i may have been unlucky. could be quartering or wheel slop. not sure. 

so anyway I'll see what the replacement is like and then decide if i keep it.

they are lovely locos and i quite enjoy the paxman engine sounds so hoping I get a good one.

cheers

tim

5 hours ago, bluedepot said:

ok, well mine is going back to the shop as it has a very slight wobble! not bad, but not right for 220 pounds. I'll exchange it and see how a replacement one runs. 

positives

- it looks lovely v nice livery application and handrails and steps so fine

- v good slow speed control

- doesn't stall v much at all as wheel base is longer than an 08

- sound is good, I think the 08 and 40 are better though.

negatives

- no lights (you'd think they could have put a light behind the headcode box and a cab light). a bit lazy by Bachmann.

- no stay alive. again lazy by Bachmann. mine didn't stall hardly at all, however sometimes the sound cut out for half a second.  I have electrofrog points, those with insulfrog will likely have more issues.

- very slight wobble, but i may have been unlucky. could be quartering or wheel slop. not sure. 

so anyway I'll see what the replacement is like and then decide if i keep it.

they are lovely locos and i quite enjoy the paxman engine sounds so hoping I get a good one.

cheers

tim

Cheers for that. 

Ill be getting mine from the shop in person so can check for wobbles.

• Like 1

you should have got your child a class 14 for christmas, and then not let them play with it... 

yeh i think the non green versions will end up on sale soon enough

i got a replacement one now, seem to run ok and less wobble, need to run it in some more.

cheers.

tim

• Like 1

On 14/11/2023 at 12:32, bluedepot said:

you should have got your child a class 14 for christmas, and then not let them play with it... 

yeh i think the non green versions will end up on sale soon enough

i got a replacement one now, seem to run ok and less wobble, need to run it in some more.

cheers.

tim

Sadly I have to agree, I would imagine the green ones will sell well enough, but the other liveries I am not sure about. The sound upgrade has been "in the works" a while and for me it has always been surprising that Bachmann would prioritise this over things like the Class 37 and for steam the Duchess/WD Austerity as far as a sound is concerned.

Roy

• Agree 1

• 5 months later...

I can't find a topic on non-sound Farish class 14s, and I've gone back so far the topics are locked and archived...

I've no intention of buying a DCC sound model, since my N gauge project is firmly DC , but I'm very interested in the running performance of this model.

Mercia Wagon Repair currently has 4 mainline diesels and I'm very mildly tempted by a Revolution 66 in GBRf livery; but it only has 2 shunters , a Farish 04 and an NGS Hunslet. Since shunting wagons around the works is a bigger part of operations than bringing in wagons for repair and taking repaired wagons away again this looks like an imbalance. I've considered buying a Farish Class 14 as a heavy shunter , and the version in the orange Royal Oak livery is tempting since it would certainly be a hi-vis livery for industrial use

However I'm not willing to spend thick end of £150 on a model that won't actually do the job. This loco will have to run at slow speed over short distances, and shunt reliably . All points are live frog , and 5 out of 6 now have switched feed to the crossing

Is the Class 14 reckoned to be up to this, or is plodding round and round in a circle at 40% on the controller more its comfort zone? 

On 05/11/2023 at 20:27, bluedepot said:

ok great let me know how your one runs then!

over points especially mine wobbled a lot, more than my other 0-6-0s, it was just not quite smooth enough for me, and for 220 quid i want it to be perfect... (or as close to as possible)

"Wobbling" at points sounds to me like "drop in" , where the wheel falls into an unduly wide gap at the crossing/frog. The frog gaps on Peco code55 are certainly overwide and designed around old fashioned coarse wheels , and a degree of drop in is certainly noticeable if I watch the 04 and Hunslet closely as they cross pointwork . Nothing much can be done about this short of using points (presumably handbuilt) to tighter standards in this area

If the Farish Class 14 is "wobbling" at points that might be a symptom of fine wheels meeting a coarse flangeway, rather than a manufacturing fault on the loco (the only fault would be a mismatch of wheel and point specs) . I would have to live with that.

If there are questions about the quality of the model/factory QC , that's another matter... 

As far as price is concerned. they are currently mildly discounted but there aren't many left...

On 13/11/2023 at 17:58, montyburns56 said:

In that case I wouldn't rush to buy one as I suspect that they'll end up in the bargain sections within six months or so.