Sound fitted class 14

meatloaf

I noticed my local shop had these in today.

They look very interesting but i hesitated to buy it with it being an 0-6-0, albeit with a bigger wheelbase than the 08 that i had issues with cutting out on pointwork.

So if anyones had a sound fitted one id appriciate your thoughts :)

ok, well mine is going back to the shop as it has a very slight wobble! not bad, but not right for 220 pounds. I'll exchange it and see how a replacement one runs. 

positives

- it looks lovely v nice livery application and handrails and steps so fine

- v good slow speed control

- doesn't stall v much at all as wheel base is longer than an 08

- sound is good, I think the 08 and 40 are better though.

negatives

- no lights (you'd think they could have put a light behind the headcode box and a cab light). a bit lazy by Bachmann.

- no stay alive. again lazy by Bachmann. mine didn't stall hardly at all, however sometimes the sound cut out for half a second.  I have electrofrog points, those with insulfrog will likely have more issues.

- very slight wobble, but i may have been unlucky. could be quartering or wheel slop. not sure. 

so anyway I'll see what the replacement is like and then decide if i keep it.

they are lovely locos and i quite enjoy the paxman engine sounds so hoping I get a good one.

cheers

tim

5 hours ago, bluedepot said:

ok, well mine is going back to the shop as it has a very slight wobble! not bad, but not right for 220 pounds. I'll exchange it and see how a replacement one runs. 

positives

- it looks lovely v nice livery application and handrails and steps so fine

- v good slow speed control

- doesn't stall v much at all as wheel base is longer than an 08

- sound is good, I think the 08 and 40 are better though.

negatives

- no lights (you'd think they could have put a light behind the headcode box and a cab light). a bit lazy by Bachmann.

- no stay alive. again lazy by Bachmann. mine didn't stall hardly at all, however sometimes the sound cut out for half a second.  I have electrofrog points, those with insulfrog will likely have more issues.

- very slight wobble, but i may have been unlucky. could be quartering or wheel slop. not sure. 

so anyway I'll see what the replacement is like and then decide if i keep it.

they are lovely locos and i quite enjoy the paxman engine sounds so hoping I get a good one.

cheers

tim

Cheers for that. 

Ill be getting mine from the shop in person so can check for wobbles.

• Like 1

you should have got your child a class 14 for christmas, and then not let them play with it... 

yeh i think the non green versions will end up on sale soon enough

i got a replacement one now, seem to run ok and less wobble, need to run it in some more.

cheers.

tim

• Like 1

On 14/11/2023 at 12:32, bluedepot said:

you should have got your child a class 14 for christmas, and then not let them play with it... 

yeh i think the non green versions will end up on sale soon enough

i got a replacement one now, seem to run ok and less wobble, need to run it in some more.

cheers.

tim

Sadly I have to agree, I would imagine the green ones will sell well enough, but the other liveries I am not sure about. The sound upgrade has been "in the works" a while and for me it has always been surprising that Bachmann would prioritise this over things like the Class 37 and for steam the Duchess/WD Austerity as far as a sound is concerned.

Roy

• Agree 1