DJH OO class 02 starter kit

Hi Paul.

Any progress on painting the kit as yet?

Your thread prompted me to root mine out and give it a run, only to find it was a little sloppy. After a little investigation, it seems I may have opened out the holes in the side rods too much. I seem to remember in the kit instructions that you could get spare parts. Do you know if this is still the case? If not, does anyone know of an alternative?

Thanks in advance......

Sean.

• 4 months later...

One of the best looking classs IMHO.
Had one of these built up for about 10 years now sitting in me cabinet half finished because it runs like a piece of poo!!
Must get round to having another go at it seem to remember it having a fold up etched nickel silver chassis.
Not sure what the problem is though maybe either the quartering is out or it has a very tight spot in the drivetrain somewhere.
Anyone else out there had a similar problem with theirs?
If so howd ya cure it?
Contacting DJH didnt help as they didnt seem interested because of how long ive had it. Think it was £47 new so definatly had it a while
Mine came in a box which has a flimsy plastic liner with individual pockets in it

One of the best looking classs IMHO.

Had one of these built up for about 10 years now sitting in me cabinet half finished because it runs like a piece of poo!!

lumpy with no smoothness! lol

Must get round to having another go it seem to remember it having a fold up etched nickel silver chassis.

Not sure what the problem is though maybe either the quartering is out or it has a very tight spot in the drivetrain somewhere.

Anyone else out there had a similar problem with theirs?

If so howd ya cure it?

Contacting DJH didnt help as they didnt seem interested because of how long ive had it. Think it was £47 new so definatly had it a while

Mine came in a box which has a flimsy plastic linerwith individual pockets in it

I built the other starter kit (the steam 0-4-0) for someone who had bought it thinking it would be easy but soon gave up.

The fold up chassis was not quite lined up. I had to correct it on the jig and IIRC, I had to drill it out and insert bearings - which did give a nice sweet running chassis. Some inevitable problems with pick ups on such a small chassis but the chap was pleased - well I think he was - as he never came back to me with it.

I am a fan of DJH but this was NOT suitable for a beginner.

Jack

After a little investigation, it seems I may have opened out the holes in the side rods too much.

If you haven't been able to get replacements, there are only two solutions to this problem:

1. Drill/ream out and insert a suitable brass bearing/tube - very difficult as there may not be enough material to drill/ream out and finding a brass bearing.

2. Use the highest temperature melt of solder you can find and use it to fill the holes then drill new - almost as difficult as getting the holes in the correct place/alignment is difficult and it will wear out quite quickly.

Popped the body off my 02 esterday found a dry jont on one of the wires on the motor terminal from the pickups fixing it helped very little so adde extra pickups. Still didnt help that much DAM FRUSTRATING!!!!!

Guest stuartp

Anybody know if there is a replacement chassis that would be suitable for the Barclay?

Dave, if you're just looking to get the motor out of the cab the original chassis can be adapted. This is EM with the supplied DS10 and gears in a home made mount.

post-270-0-95554200-1330165016.jpg

post-270-0-52194400-1330165036.jpg

Guest Max Stafford

Thanks Stuart.

I'm intending to use a small Mashima can for better performance. I did try chassis modifications but my ham-fistedness pretty much killed that idea - figuratively and literally!

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

Had another go at me 02 kit this weekend and with a lot of help from me good old dad he compensated the rear axle by opening the axle holes verticaly by 2 or 3 thou and adding a.33 wire for the springing.the reason for this was something he called "the milk stool effect" when you have somehing rigid which doesnt make contact with all corners at the same time, although the wire is perhaps aliitle light it now works a 100 times better with a vast improvement on slow speed running. its still a little lumpy but perhaps that will disapate with some running something which I havent been able to do with it untill now

Had another go at me 02 kit this weekend and with a lot of help from me good old dad he compensated the rear axle by opening the axle holes verticaly by 2 or 3 thou and adding a.33 wire for the springing.the reason for this was something he called "the milk stool effect" when you have somehing rigid which doesnt make contact with all corners at the same time, although the wire is perhaps aliitle light it now works a 100 times better with a vast improvement on slow speed running. its still a little lumpy but perhaps that will disapate with some running something which I havent been able to do with it untill now

Do you have any photo's of how you achieved this Trailrage?

Cheers.

Sean.

Any chance that someone could do me a quick dimensioned sketch of the chassis - length/height/wheelbase - I have one of the early versions with the 'lump' chassis, although on opening the box - I cannot find the d**ned thing - just the body parts - must have junked it a few years back...

Thanks

GRW184

post-13755-0-05394200-1332333489_thumb.jpgpost-13755-0-05394200-1332333489_thumb.jpgpost-13755-0-39165400-1332333558_thumb.jpgpost-13755-0-74917500-1332333625_thumb.jpgpost-13755-0-03141300-1332333697_thumb.jpg

Cheers Trailrage.

Cheers Trailrage.

Heres a couple of pics of the 02 chassis pretty simple also a replacement keeper plate made from 1mm plasticard with replacement pickups

post-13755-0-05394200-1332333489_thumb.jpgpost-13755-0-05394200-1332333489_thumb.jpgpost-13755-0-39165400-1332333558_thumb.jpgpost-13755-0-74917500-1332333625_thumb.jpgpost-13755-0-03141300-1332333697_thumb.jpg

Heres a couple of pics of the 02 chassis pretty simple also a replacement keeper plate made from 1mm plasticard with replacement pickups

The piece of .33 brass wire is superglued to the frame (as this was only a test but soldering would obviously be stronger) and bears on the underside of the rear axle.the hornblocks were opened up with a round needle file as i said 2-3 thou is all thats needed really. Originally it only came with pickups on 2 wheels so we modified it with 4 wheel pickup which helps

Nice work there Trailrage.

Ironically, I had chance to program my 02 shunter tonight at our club. Only had chance to run her on straight track but she ran smoothly. I'll see how she runs over pointwork later, but if it's not good, I may nick your ideas Trailrage.

Cheers.

Sean.

Nice work there Trailrage.

Ironically, I had chance to program my 02 shunter tonight at our club. Only had chance to run her on straight track but she ran smoothly. I'll see how she runs over pointwork later, but if it's not good, I may nick your ideas Trailrage.

Cheers.

Sean.

Given the body a coat of real dirty green with faded yellow cab rear and nose (pics coming soon) copying an OPC postacard of 02003 at allerton not sure when the photo was taken.

Postcard number is 82 in the 2nd OPC Postcard album. Thers also a good photo of 02004 in the 1st album both are filthy with clean TOPS numbers but no arrows.

These pics made a lasting impression on me as a child which is why i purchased the kit in the 1st place

I was goona take some photos of the postcards and post them on here but wasnt sure about copywright issues.

If anyone has a clue about such things or if MR Administrator knows if it would be ok I will put them up.

• 6 years later...

I'm building this kit too and the instructions talk about "insulated wheels"... but all four wheels look the same to me. What does it mean?

Traditionally the Romford/Markits wheels come in 2 varieties: live, where the wheel transmits electricity from tyre to axle and therefore to the loco frame, and insulated, where the tyre is insulated from the rest of the wheel. It was common practice therefore to have live on one side, running power directly from the frame to one of the motor contacts, and insulated on the other with pickups to take the other polarity to the motor. Often these days people use insulated both sides and therefore need pickups on all the wheels, because it can be easier to keep the chassis electrically dead. Check each wheel for conductivity between tyre and middle - you will either have 2 live and 2 insulated, or all 4 insulated.

• RMweb Gold

You should be able to see a thin paper layer between the tyre and the wheel casting on all 4, it's fairly obvious when compared to one without so if they do all look the same then they should all be insulated.

Archived