ZTC 511.

Paul_C

I have a ZTC 611 and have thought about getting a 511 as there are a few available at the moment. Would there be any advantages of having a second controller on the layout, if so what would they be please? I'm asking this because I don't have a great understanding or knowledge of electrics.

Paul C.

1 hour ago, Paul_C said:

I have a ZTC 611 and have thought about getting a 511 as there are a few available at the moment. Would there be any advantages of having a second controller on the layout, if so what would they be please? I'm asking this because I don't have a great understanding or knowledge of electrics.

Paul C.

Unless you are talking about using a 511 as an additional throttle for the 611  (if that’s even possible with ZTC kit?), in other words, as a “slave” to the 611 …….then, no, you cannot connect two DCC “systems” to the same layout.

If the ZTC kit allows the 511 to be used an additional throttle, then you couldn’t use the track output from the 511 system to be connected to anything.

On 09/11/2023 at 15:00, Paul_C said:

Apparently Ron that would work as such as Graham Warner mentioned using it as a slave when I asked him about it a few weeks ago. What does that mean exactly?

Maybe a little basic understanding of DCC would help, if you don’t mind?

Sorry if it’s teaching you to suck eggs and all that.

The basic components.

1. A user interface, where you make control inputs (move, stop, speed up/down, sound a whistle, switch lights on and off etc, etc,)

This would be in the form of a handset, or console, or smartphone/ iPad; with what Americans call a throttle and we traditionally would refer to as a controller.

2. A DCC Command Station ( the electronic brain that runs the system”).

3. A Power Station, often called a Booster, outputting to the track.

This primary system Booster, is often combined in the same housing, as the Command Station.

( note: the ZTC console based system has the throttle, Command Station and Booster, all combined in the console unit.)

4. Decoders ( the actual DCC controllers) in locos (mobile decoders), or stationary track side decoders to operate points, signals and other accessories.

DCC = Digital Command Control.

It does what it says on the tin.

You issue control instructions through your input or control device and the Command Station sends out DCC “commands” to the recipient decoder, which in turn “controls” the loco, or accessory device.

There can only be one Command Station, generating and transmitting the control signals that will be sent out to the locos, via the track, or to DCC accessories.

It’s all to do with how the DCC signal is generated and timed ( sync’’d) as encoded digital instructions, then amplified in the Booster to provide an electrical data stream of sufficient electrical power (amps and volts), that not only carries instructions to the decoders, but can also be “ harvested” by the decoders to obtain traction power.

The Command Station also manages all the system components and data transfer to and from the throttles and other system modules.

Two Command Stations would interfere with each other and will be damaged if they were connected to the same track, or each other.

DCC systems, however, usually allow multiple throttles (what you might call controllers) and other input devices, to be used with the single Command Station.

If the ZTC system allows another console to be used as an additional throttle (i.e. as a “slave” ), that “slave’s” internal Command Station and Booster will be bypassed and redundant in such a configuration.

Do not attempt to use the 511 as a separate fully functioning system, on the same layout, at the same time as the 611.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

2 hours ago, Paul_C said:

Apparently Ron that would work as such as Graham Warner mentioned using it as a slave when I asked him about it a few weeks ago. What does that mean exactly?

Or in simpler language than Ron used:

NUMBER 1 issue - do not ever connect the second ZTC to the track.     Put tape over the track outputs of the second ZTC so there are no mistakes.     

( Get this wrong and chances are something goes bang!)

The second ZTC connects to the first (primary/master) ZTC system via an Xpressnet Cable.    In ZTC's case, this is a small round 8-pin cable "mini DIN" cable.  You need the right cable, but it is a fairly standard cable, so doesn't have to be a ZTC part.   

Then, within the second ZTC,  follow the instructions to put it into the "slave" mode, where it acts as a second handset to the primary system.   

Unless you're really determined to stick with a ZTC system, I'd suggest giving moving on to something else.   

- Nigel

• Like 1

Of course you can link another 511 to any ZTC Controller. There is another way witch you may find more useful. Have a 622 remote handset, I do, If your arm wont stretch back to the 611 that is if you see what I mean.

I note that Nigel Cliffe makes comment, Moving On?  Not another ZTC Knocker are you Nigel.