Slow crawl away with a DCC Sound fitted locomotive

Growling

I am sure this is probably covered elsewhere but having searched I can't really find a specific answer.

I've recently gone DCC with an NCE Powercab and I've powered up a short test section of track. I am testing using an Accurascale sound fitted 37.

When no sound or lights are activated the loco will start to crawl away really nicely on speed step 1 (when using the 28 speed steps).

When lights and sound start to be activated the loco doesn't get going until the powercab is notched up to step 3 and it doesn't crawl away... the starting momentum is a bit quick and a tad umrealistic. ( I am non too technical but I guess this is down to the voltage consumed ).

Is there anything that can be tweaked so it moves away at a crawl when using sound?

Thanks,

Rich.

• RMweb Gold

There was some discussion about this delayed start/sound being a function of the sound program.  There a various workarounds suggested in this and subsequent posts in the Accurascale thread.  It may take some reading around as they are interspersed with other posts.  This may, or may not, by the issue you are describing - but sounds like it.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've heard it said that using the Momentum button on a PowerCab can upset even the best set CV values with the general advice being to never use it.

I'd suggest resetting the decoder - CV8 = 8 is the normal way - and trying again if you have used the Momentum button.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Most sound projects are designed to use 128 speed steps, so try using that. Don't use the momentum button on the Powercab, the sound project  will be set up with it's own momentum. If all else fails reset the decoder (possibly CV8=8 but check your documentation) and start again with 128 speed steps.

16 hours ago, BoD said:

There was some discussion about this delayed start/sound being a function of the sound program.  There a various workarounds suggested in this and subsequent posts in the Accurascale thread.  It may take some reading around as they are interspersed with other posts.  This may, or may not, by the issue you are describing - but sounds like it.

Thanks so much.

In my very late night continue research I did find those posts. Very useful and I made some alterations following that this morning and it is so much better. Cheers.

2 hours ago, 55020 said:

Hi Rich,

You've prompted me to document the changes I've made to my AS Class 37s.  Feel free to ask any questions.

Post here:

Steve

That is fantastic Steve. I'll have another read through that and see if further tweaks needed. I did find your original post in the Class 37 thread eventually.

Such great locos and a few simple tweaks make it drive so much better.

Thanks again.

• Thanks 1