Modifying the Accurascale Class 37 sound decoder CVs

• RMweb Gold

I have spent some time being obsessed with trying to get the decoder settings optimised for my taste. I've now reached something I am really happy with and thought I'd share, so if anyone wants to tweak their settings this may help.

I started by trying to work around the rather quick start with the sound equipped 37s (compared to when the sound is turned off). If you have one of these thrash machines, you'll notice that at speed step 1 the brake release sounds, but nothing else will happen until you get to speed step 8 (assuming 128 Speed Steps selected). Once you get to SS8 the revs will increase ever so slightly and the loco starts to move, but too quickly. You can then throttle back to SS1 to get it to slow down and crawl. The moving off at SS8 appears to be baked into the sound project so not easy to counter. In the attachment you'll find two options. Option one is a simple CV change that will make the loco move off at SS1, but doesn't alter the fact that the engine revs don't increase until SS8 i.e. synch between movement and engine revs at very low speed is lost. The second option has many more CV changes, but will result in a crawl at SS8 (i.e. same speed as SS1) with appropriate engine revs.  If anyone has another solution please share. 

I also slowed the acceleration rate (giving longer thrash!), which then needed a change to the "light load" setting.

Tweaks were made to the lighting settings along with a few other bits and pieces, including moving the dynamic brake from F29 to F2.

All changes I made are detailed in the attachment, along with the original settings.  Of course you don't have to change all the settings listed, you can also introduce your own values for a number of the changes.

If it all goes horribly wrong, then writing CV8 = 8 will reset it back to the original AS values.

Steve

Accurascale Class 37 decoder settings.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Very interesting.  Thank you for documenting all of that.

A crude method of ‘disguising’ the delay in engine revs is to select drive lock F7, increase to speed step 8 and when revs start to rise release drive lock. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, 55020 said:

I have spent some time being obsessed with trying to get the decoder settings optimised for my taste. I've now reached something I am really happy with and thought I'd share, so if anyone wants to tweak their settings this may help.

I started by trying to work around the rather quick start with the sound equipped 37s (compared to when the sound is turned off). If you have one of these thrash machines, you'll notice that at speed step 1 the brake release sounds, but nothing else will happen until you get to speed step 8 (assuming 128 Speed Steps selected). Once you get to SS8 the revs will increase ever so slightly and the loco starts to move, but too quickly. You can then throttle back to SS1 to get it to slow down and crawl. The moving off at SS8 appears to be baked into the sound project so not easy to counter. In the attachment you'll find two options. Option one is a simple CV change that will make the loco move off at SS1, but doesn't alter the fact that the engine revs don't increase until SS8 i.e. synch between movement and engine revs at very low speed is lost. The second option has many more CV changes, but will result in a crawl at SS8 (i.e. same speed as SS1) with appropriate engine revs.  If anyone has another solution please share. 

I also slowed the acceleration rate (giving longer thrash!), which then needed a change to the "light load" setting.

Tweaks were made to the lighting settings along with a few other bits and pieces, including moving the dynamic brake from F29 to F2.

All changes I made are detailed in the attachment, along with the original settings.  Of course you don't have to change all the settings listed, you can also introduce your own values for a number of the changes.

If it all goes horribly wrong, then writing CV8 = 8 will reset it back to the original AS values.

Steve

Accurascale Class 37 decoder settings.pdf 218.06 kB · 9 downloads

Great post Steve. Thanks.

Echoing the thanks, Steve: I have been playing around with settings as well, and saving the modified files once I achieve what I want for particular functions or actions, then re-saving as I tweak further. It means I can go back to a previous set of features if I lose direction or get it wrong.

Some of what I have been doing is just reallocating function keys to bring the various sound projects into line with each other. Other things have been individual tweaks for particular sound projects and locomotives. I'll be having a very good look at what you have done and seeing if I can incorporate some of your changes into my own modified files.

A quick update on that last post: I loaded the modified file I had then tweaked it further to get the top lights to come on with the headlights (currently on F18). This will need further modification in sessions to come, to bring it further into line with the other 37s.

I think I have it tweaked to a satisfactory (but not yet perfect!) degree. I do intend working on it a little more, but it is now at a stage where I can run the locomotive quite happily with enough working features and sounds to keep me happy.

I am attaching the tweaked CV settings list here (unfortunately, RMweb can't handle the .esux format, but if anyone wants it, please PM me and I'll try to send it to you): if using my .esux file, you'll need to put the original ESU file with sounds onto the decoder first, then overwrite the decoder data with my file. After that, you can make further modifications to suit your own preferences.

Happy tweaking, guys. 🙃

S0407-LS5H0M4-Diesel-BR-Class37-V1-JLmod-37608-CV List.docx

Edit: screenshots of the function list from the LokProgrammer. I haven't dealt with the night running headlight settings yet. Marker lights, daytime headlights and top light, engine room lights and directional cab lights all work as does braking on F2.

I tried a double iPhone speaker from Roads and Rails, but settled on the Accurathrash speaker sounding softer but less harsh on the thrash, and with more of the deep "throb" of an EE Co engine.

37608LokSoundFunctions-1.png.d5870e886d02439f15b20d83c7944d60.png

37608LokSoundFunctions-2.png.c9707a67424361cdd4ab440d533c2a9d.png

Edited by SRman
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 12/11/2023 at 21:28, 55020 said:

Steve

Accurascale Class 37 decoder settings.pdf 218.06 kB · 47 downloads

Many thanks Steve, exactly what I needed.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Very interesting.

I too have DCC sound fitted (green) class 37.

Has anyone been able to code up a kadee uncoupling waltz?

I'm flummoxed, even though I have downloaded the v5 loksound guide and attempted the function mapping.

I set the following:

CV 31 value 16

CV32 set to mapping line value

CVH ( F26 which is vacant,) CVN (uncoupling cycle) value 64 both set to mapping line co-ordinate values

CV31/32  reset to zero.

Cv 246=5

247=244

248=150.

nothing moved.

Have I missed something?

cheers

Edited by nelly

1 hour ago, nelly said:

Very interesting.

I too have DCC sound fitted (green) class 37.

Has anyone been able to code up a kadee uncoupling waltz?

I'm flummoxed, even though I have downloaded the v5 loksound guide and attempted the function mapping.

I set the following:

CV 31 value 16

CV32 set to mapping line value

CVH ( F26 which is vacant,) CVN (uncoupling cycle) value 64 both set to mapping line co-ordinate values

CV31/32  reset to zero.

Cv 246=5

247=244

248=150.

nothing moved.

Have I missed something?

cheers

From reading the manual, having not done this on a V5, but have been playing with coupler waltzes and loco mounted couplers for a very long time.

The value of CVH = 1 ,   for Function Key 26

Then CV32 changes value from the left of table to the right of table, so set a new value for CV32, before setting CVN=64

Next Page 85, where you found the CV246/247/248 the section ends by saying that a function output has to be setup.....  if things don't work yet, then they really mean it - an output is required ! 

In the function mapping, set an output (probably one not in use, and even not with a connected pin on the decoder) on the row as well, eg. Aux8 which is in CVL=2  (check the CV32 value before setting, should be same as CVN for that row). 

Then, to Pages 79-83.  Unless there's a motor driving a coupler, the output isn't really being used, the values may not matter too much, but may need actually setting to something.   
Page 79 says CV31=16, CV32=0 before setting one of the outputs to Coupling behaviour in the Select Mode column, 

eg. if picking output "aux8", then its CV331=28  (see Page 82 for the value of 28)

Then, need to set the "switch off delay" and "automatic switch off", which (back to Page 79) are, for the row with Aux8, CV332, CV333.   And Page 83 read across, and "Special CV1" for coupler strength (back to Page 79, and the Aux8 row) which is CV335

That may help....

Edited by Nigelcliffe

• RMweb Gold

I've got the Kadee shuffle to work with the following adjustments.  I wanted to use the couple/decouple sound that's available on F14 even though some might not think this is appropriate. 

To enable the shuffle:

CV246 = 1 (speed)

CV247 = 100 (time of movement forward after decouple=1.64s).  Range 0-255.  The lower the value the less distance moved.

CV248 =90 (time of movement in reverse to decouple=1.47s).

To assign shuffle to F14

CV31=16, CV32=9

CV276 = 64

@nelly.  The CV values to assign the shuffle to F26 are

CV31=16, CV32=10

CV308=64

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by 55020
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, nelly said:

Thank you for your assistance. Unfortunately, so far no luck.

I've just taken an original Accurascale 37 decoder and adjusted the CVs as suggested.  I can confirm that the CV values quoted are correct.

Did you undo all of the changes you've already introduced by doing a reset CV8 = 8?

Have you read the CVs back to make sure they are as stated?

Steve

On 12/11/2023 at 21:28, 55020 said:

Steve

Accurascale Class 37 decoder settings.pdf 218.06 kB · 189 downloads

Hi Steve,

Do you mind me asking what f29 does?

Does it launch more braking sounds?

I only seem to get brake squealing when stopping quite sharply on light loco mode.

(I don't know a way to access F29 on an Nce powercab).

Thanks,

Richard.

Edited by Growling
Spelling

1 hour ago, Growling said:

Hi Steve,

I only seem to get brake squealing when stopping quite sharply on light loco mode.

Thanks,

Richard.

From memory, F29 was the brake, but there is no way to access F29 on the NCE systems ... F28 is the limit. I reprogrammed the brake to work on F2, together with the brake sound. Easy t do using the LokProgrammer, but I'm not sure of the CVs involved (it's not that difficult to reallocate them manually, though, as long as you know which CVs are involved).

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Growling said:

Hi Steve,

Thanks,

Richard.

Hi Richard, as mentioned by SRman it is not a sound function (which is all that the original F2 was as far as could make out) but an actual brake function that will slow the loco irrespective of the throttle position.  I called it a dymanic brake, but I'm not sure if that's the correct terminology.

Once this latching function is released the loco will then follow the requested throttle position again.

The CV changes to swap F29 and F2 are detailed in the attachment to my original post.

Steve

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 55020 said:

Hi Richard, as mentioned by SRman it is not a sound function (which is all that the original F2 was as far as could make out) but an actual brake function that will slow the loco irrespective of the throttle position.  I called it a dymanic brake, but I'm not sure if that's the correct terminology.

Once this latching function is released the loco will then follow the requested throttle position again.

The CV changes to swap F29 and F2 are detailed in the attachment to my original post.

Steve

Thanks for both replies. That makes sense. 

• 3 weeks later...