73 142 Broadlands - the roof spots?

john new

• RMweb Gold

I recently bought a 2nd-hand model of 73 142 Broadlands in large logo livery and was surprised to find it had two orange spots on the roof. An internet search identifies that the loco had at least one and they were added just like those on the roof of police cars so as to aid helicopter recognition when on Royal Train duties. The text caption associated with this image confirms (at least) one spot but at that time it wasn't  in large logo livery.

As I don't have a lot of reference material on the Class 73s despite having regularly seen them running over several decades three questions I am sure someone will know the answers to:-

1) Is the large logo livery (LIMA issue?) roughly correct

2) if yes how long was it carried for?

3) One spot or two? With the supplementary of if just one which end?

A class 73 image of my own is below* - heading a down Royal working through Shawford circa 1970. 

*Number and date not recorded. The date is plus or minus a couple of years either side of 1970.

Shawford%20Electric%20crop%20img002.jpg

Edited by john new
Typo spotted on re-reading the thread.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

1) Is the large logo livery (LIMA issue?) roughly correct

2) if yes how long was it carried for?

3) One spot or two? With the supplementary of if just one which end?

it was the Br SR designated royal train engine/ special duties

iirc carried the spots from Charles and Dianas wedding, 1981 through to privatisation.

in addition to the royal train, vsoe duties, 73142 was also used for the Popes train in 1982.

It carried the spots in Blue, large logo blue and Intercity exec and Gatwick Express livery and phots on flickr show it with spots in these liveries too.

The royal 47’s also had a florescent spot on the roof, as do the current class 67’s.

5EDC249C-9F3F-4CFD-88F3-3F4262622612.jpeg.1ee12813fd417bb8f7e66aaad65e8545.jpeg

its a hangover for identification that comes from painting cab roofs white for steam locos on the royal train.

i’m surprised the NRM hasnt shown interest in this loco.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

The Lima livery is largely correct. 

The model itself, like all of their class 73s, is a good starting point, but benefits from some extra detailing, and especially from fitting larger buffers. If you really want to go the whole hog, the underframe details are basic and would be better replaced completely, but I have never bothered with any of mine as we tend to see the roof and body (and bogie details) on models far more than the underframes in the middle. I also fitted Shawplan etched plates to mine, and it now rides on a Hornby chassis.

P_20190102_235425_vHDR_On.jpg.3d0581c9f1149242fe34bfe5d0910c95.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

They definitely did get used to track special trains by helicpter

In 1987 whilst working at Southern House Croydon for BR had inside knowledge on when the 73142 with a train from Gatwick conveying King Faisal of Saudi Arabia was due so duly parked myself on the carpark overbridge close to the appointed time. Train passed - photo taken - cue arrival of TWO cars full of armed plain clothes bobbies to investigate -  had already by this time slipped my camera under my coat and was walking off the bridge so missed all the fun.

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Southernman46 said:

They definitely did get used to track special trains by helicpter

In 1982 whilst working at Southern House Croydon for BR had inside knowledge on when the 73142 with a train from Gatwick conveying King Faisal of Saudi Arabia was due so duly parked myself on the carpark overbridge close to the appointed time. Train passed - photo taken - cue arrival of TWO cars full of armed plain clothes bobbies to investigate -  had already by this time slipped my camera under my coat and was walking off the bridge so missed all the fun.

reminds me of a story of someone on here years ago, standing by the fourth bridge waiting to take a picture, got swarmed by police.. apparently he was within focal distance of Gordon Browns gaff.

It does surprise me that there are places you can go, where you might just bump into a royal, on a casual walk without all the rigmarole. 

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1