An Old Photo Album

• RMweb Gold

Years ago, and I can't even remember when or where, I bought an album of railway photos. All the contents appear to have been taken by the same person over a period of about sixty years. Here's an initial selection, starting from the back of the album so with the (mostly) BR shots first. The majority of this first selection are Scottish. I hope they're of interest.

PXL_20231112_185808897.jpg

PXL_20231112_185815398.jpg

PXL_20231112_185818312.jpg

PXL_20231112_185829519.jpg

PXL_20231112_185834502.jpg

PXL_20231112_185840292.jpg

Edited by papagolfjuliet
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

There's some really good stuff there. Have you tried looking on the backs to see if there is any information there? If they were mine I would want to see if they would come out from under the tacky film without removing any of the photographs' surfaces. When I inherited my Dad's photo collection, there was an album with similar film on it. It did not seem to have affected the prints, but the discolouration of the film did detract from their appearance, so I took them out and scanned them individually. You can see the result at http://www.ipernity.com/doc/philsutters/album/494007

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

There's some really good stuff there. Have you tried looking on the backs to see if there is any information there? If they were mine I would want to see if they would come out from under the tacky film without removing any of the photographs' surfaces. When I inherited my Dad's photo collection, there was an album with similar film on it. It did not seem to have affected the prints, but the discolouration of the film did detract from their appearance, so I took them out and scanned them individually. You can see the result at http://www.ipernity.com/doc/philsutters/album/494007

Most of them are securely gummed on, alas, and the very few loose ones have no writing on the back. Anyway, here's another lot.

PXL_20231112_190027332.jpg

PXL_20231112_190033143.jpg

PXL_20231112_190035790.jpg

PXL_20231112_190042197.jpg

PXL_20231112_190045577.jpg

PXL_20231112_190050655.jpg

PXL_20231112_190053942.jpg

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Looks like the Turbomotive is in GWR territory at Shrewsbury  - so presumably on a running-in turn from Crewe.

Probably, but LMS Pacifics from Scotland were used on locals to Salop in order to turn on the triangle there, Crewe's 60ft turntable was too small to take them. This applied to engines from Scotland to allow them to make the return journey while 6202 was almost always confined to the Euston - Lime Street services.

Scot 6142 is on Edge Hill shed: that coaler is unmistakeable!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

#7 looks like MR 1000 at Blisworth.

#11 is Helmsdale shed between 1957 and 1962.

#15 is at Inverness shed.

#17 looks like a Ballaculish train at Oban.

#18 is the preserved Midland Compound 1000 on a special at B'ham New Street c1959.

#63 looks like it maybe Euston.

PS I've taken the numbering as being from the first photo in this thread.

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, papagolfjuliet said:

Most of them are securely gummed on, alas, and the very few loose ones have no writing on the back.

I’ve seen gentle use of dental floss under the print suggested for removal - it avoids the use of unpleasant organic solvents, which are also sold for this purpose. 

Edited by MPR
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

#18 is the preserved Midland Compound 1000 on a special at B'ham New Street c1959.

30 August 1959, possibly its first mainline trip in preservation. Birmingham New Street to Doncaster and York, return via Pontefract.

Standing by the Bridge Inspector's office on Platform 7

• Like 3

Numbering the photos in the first post as 1-18, here are thoughts about some of them:

#6 – (Duchess on the Royal Scot) - Greskine (corrected by ‘Stoke West’)

#12 - (2P 40574) – This picture has been available commercially. I had a copy of it on a postcard –unfortunately I can't find it just now. The writing on the splasher says “Clan McCargill”. AFAIK, it was taken somewhere along the Port Road.

#13 – Glasgow Central. You can just make out the “Paisley's” name on the building behind.

#15 – Inverness shed, as already noted above.

#16 – I think this is Inverness station

#17 – Oban station, as already noted above

Edited by pH
  • Like 4

Numbering as 1-22 the photos in the second set above, here are thoughts about some of them:

#2 – (Small narrow gauge locomotive). I think this is one of the locos from the 18-inch gauge system in Crewe works. From what's visible on the nameplate, it might be “Topsy”.

#5 – North London Railway 4-4-0T. Given the number of photos of Scottish locos in the set, I thought at first that this was a Highland Railway Jones tank, but the number and the frames behind the cylinder didn't fit.

#9 – front loco is CR Drummond 171 class 0-4-4T 15104, the oldest class of CR 0-4-4T to make it to the LMS. The loco behind is a CR Oban Bogie, designed by George Brittain. The last of these was scrapped in 1930, and 15104 was scrapped in 1933, so that gives a latest date of 1930 for the picture.

#10 – I think this is a HR 'Small Ben'.

#13 – GSWR '187' class 0-4-2, built by James Stirling, rebuilt by Manson.

#15 – GSWR 'Wee Bogie' (119 Class) 14135 at St Enoch's (as noted above). This photo is in the collection of the Glasgow and South Western Association, and copies may be obtained from them.

#16 – copy of #9 above

#19 – HR 'Snaigow'. A class of 2 with 'Durn', these were the only 2-cylinder 4-4-0s in Britain to have outside Walschaerts gear. (This photo appears twice more in the fourth set of pictures.)

• Like 4

On 13/11/2023 at 01:55, papagolfjuliet said:

PXL_20231112_190050655.jpg

As has been noted before, the second photo above is taken at St Enoch’s.

The engine is the last one released to traffic by the Glasgow and South Western Railway, less than two weeks before it was included in the LMS. It was numbered 394 and named ‘Lord Glenarthur’. Its LMS number, which it would be carrying in this photo, was 14509.

It was originally built as number 11 in 1897, the first 4 cylinder non-articulated simple locomotive in Great Britain. It was rebuilt twice, the second rebuild being completed in December 1922.

Edited by pH
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Numbering as 1-26 the photos in the fourth set above, here are thoughts about a few of them:

#2 – GSWR James Stirling 221 class 0-4-2. The two numbers visible on the cabside look like “63”. Several of this class were not rebuiilt and were renumbered in a series from 635 to 650 in 1919.

#4 – GSWR Manson 381 class 4-6-0 14658 at Ayr station.

#10 – HR 4-4-0 'Snaigow'. Duplicate of picture in second set of pictures.

#19 – GSWR Manson 8 class 4-4-0 14161. Fortunately, not one of those rebuilt by Whitelegg.

#20 – CR McIntosh 'Cardean' (903) class 4-6-0 14753.

#24 – Another duplicate of 'Snaigow'.

#26 – As noted already, CR Brittain 670 class 0-4-2 17013.

Edited by pH
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

They are such good “classic loco portrait” style pictures that I’d suggest that either they’re from a really competent photographer of that ‘school’, or they’re a collection of bought-in portraits from somewhere like LPC or RPC, in which case they’re likely to have ‘stamps’ on the back, but not certain to.

Does anyone recognise any of the individual images?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

They are such good “classic loco portrait” style pictures that I’d suggest that either they’re from a really competent photographer of that ‘school’, or they’re a collection of bought-in portraits from somewhere like LPC or RPC, in which case they’re likely to have ‘stamps’ on the back, but not certain to.

We had that problem after inheriting a photographers collection for our Museum archives about 25 years ago.  Whilst he had personally been taking photos since the 1920's (and started taking colour slides from 1937) it was obvious that a a proportion of his material wasn't actually taken by him and most of those which weren't were unmarked giving no clues to their origin.

Seems a lot of photographers of his age used to swap images with their contemporaries at the time - certainly in the 1930's- not to mention puchasing photos from the likes of LPC.  It provides a nice Copyright minefield if you want to publish an image and you aren't actually sure of its origins.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

As previously posted:

In the first set of photos:

#12 - (2P 40574) – This picture has been available commercially. I had a copy of it on a postcard –unfortunately I can't find it just now. The writing on the splasher says “ClanMcCargill”. AFAIK, it was taken somewhere along the Port Road.

In the second set of photos:

#15 – GSWR 'Wee Bogie' (119 Class) 14135 at St Enoch's (as noted above). This photo is in the collection of the Glasgow and South Western Association, and copies may be obtained from them. (It appears in an early edition of the Association’s Journal.)

There’s no individual photographer shown on the second image above, and I don’t remember one on the first image, either. 

• Like 1

On 13/11/2023 at 20:12, pH said:

Numbering the photos in the first post as 1-18, here are thoughts about some of them:

#6 – (Duchess on the Royal Scot) - Beattock summit

#12 - (2P 40574) – This picture has been available commercially. I had a copy of it on a postcard –unfortunately I can't find it just now. The writing on the splasher says “Clan McCargill”. AFAIK, it was taken somewhere along the Port Road.

#13 – Glasgow Central. You can just make out the “Paisley's” name on the building behind.

#15 – Inverness shed, as already noted above.

#16 – I think this is Inverness station

#17 – Oban station, as already noted above

I reckon #6 is at Greskine

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I reckon there are three other photos in that set that were taken somewhere between Carstairs and Beattock station, but I can’t say where.

Edited by pH
  • Like 1