MMB refurbished milk tank question

Karhedron

After regular milk trains ceased on BR in 1980, the MMB refurbished a selection of milk tanks to keep as a reserve fleet in case of emergencies. The 6-wheeled tanks were designated TMVs and the 4-wheeled tanks TRVs. There were 40 TMVs and 26 TRVs.

On another thread, someone recently mentioned that there 5 larger tanks also constructed or refurbished at the same time. I had never heard of these before but I have just a photograph of a vehicle at Swindon that looks like an MMB tank but with a much larger barrel. It is a little hard to make out but the branding looks like TIF.

image.png.f68c509e88e5679a97d0c58154448bd3.png

The 3 vehicles nearest the camera appear to be these TIFs, you can see the 4th vehicle looks like a TMV with a much smaller 3000 gallon tank. The TIFs look more like 4000 or 5000 gallons. There is a clearer photo of a TMV below so you see the differences.

image.png.ab3c34fbd946cc1042ee48250e2eba1a.png

Can anyone shed any light on these mysterious TIFs as I haven't heard of them before?

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On closer inspection, that may be TTF which would be a 45 ton private tank wagon, vacuum braked with AFI. These were definitely a real thing but all the photos I can find show them with older style tanks. This is the only one I have seen showing this style of cladding and with MMB branding.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1