The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Planned Obsolescence

Andy Kirkham

59 minutes ago, MJI said:

They are trying to lose land lines, but I got one of their IP jobbies and kept the number.

The main difference is that when calling a "local" number you now have to use the whole number, and not just the exchange+subscriber number you used to get away with.

I appreciate you can store frequently called numbers in the phone memory, but on infrequently called numbers its an extra four digits to key in.  Its as much faff as using a mobile, VOIP is the fibre optic equivalent...

And all this technology was meant to make things more simple and easy to use!

• RMweb Premium

It'll be a long time before they entirely get rid of copper. We are VoIP but it's copper for us from the nearest node, around half a mile away and over a mile for the last in line on our road. I would think that there are many in the same situation.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, TheQ said:

It'll be a long time before they entirely get rid of copper. We are VoIP but it's copper for us from the nearest node, around half a mile away and over a mile for the last in line on our road. I would think that there are many in the same situation.

And the power supply for it still comes in on copper (even if it's only coming as far as the solar panel on your roof).