Cheap, basic servo controller recommendations?

JSModels

• RMweb Premium

I've got a potential project rolling round in my head, for which I'll need a basic servo controller.

It only needs to control a single servo, but have the ability to set both end stops, as well as the speed of travel. Control could be via either a push button (to toggle between start and end points) or a toggle switch.

Power could be USB (5vdc) or 12vdc.

I need it to be as simple as possible to both set up and use. Ideally I see it having the following:

Power in (either by usb, jack plug, or screw terminals)

3 adjustable pots (one to set start position, one to set end position, and one to set speed of travel)

2/3 screw terminals to connect either a push button, on-off switch, or on-on switch

3 pin connector for servo to plug into.

Anyone know of such a beast? I've looked online, and ones I've found are either too basic (ability to set both start and end points but not speed, or speed but only one end point) or are too complex. Nothing in between :-(

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan 

2 hours ago, JSModels said:

ones I've found are either too basic (ability to set both start and end points but not speed, or speed but only one end point) or are too complex. Nothing in between :-(

Watching this with interest - I alsostruggled to find something!

• RMweb Premium

I know almost nothing about servos, but I have a servo tester cost £10.99.  It works by plugging a battery in one end and the servo in the other.  Used in manual mode, turning the knob you can control how far the servo moves and at what speed.  Ok for we using it to operate a openning door.  Not sure if it helps you.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The most basic servo tester is under a couple of quid. Easy enough to set up and the glue some end stops to the case and an arm to the knob to hit them

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191824249331?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=EAIaIQobChMI9oKh2PXXggMV2YtQBh2-hgkVEAQYBSABEgJsWfD_BwE

Edited by TheQ
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Merg Kit PMK18 the one if your a member

This servo module controls your points and is set up using only a small screwdriver. It is
suitable for use on DC, DCC, and CBUS systems and does not require a computer to set it
up. The completed module can control a single servo (not included in the kit), requiring
only connections to a 12V DC supply, the addition of a servo and a simple on/off switch to
operate the point. The builder must make his/her own connection arrangements between
servo and point/signal to be operated.

image.png.930aea77ea5505dccbf04b79b0db2086.png

they work very well  £6.28 plus postage although a Ardunio would do everything you want

Nick B

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/blogs/entry/16177-homework/

offers a Ardunio solution which could be modified   boards via that site are very cheap but does require a little work on your part

Edited by nick_bastable
extra info alternatives

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

Merg Kit PMK18 the one if your a member

This servo module controls your points and is set up using only a small screwdriver. It is
suitable for use on DC, DCC, and CBUS systems and does not require a computer to set it
up. The completed module can control a single servo (not included in the kit), requiring
only connections to a 12V DC supply, the addition of a servo and a simple on/off switch to
operate the point. The builder must make his/her own connection arrangements between
servo and point/signal to be operated.

image.png.930aea77ea5505dccbf04b79b0db2086.png

they work very well  £6.28 plus postage although a Ardunio would do everything you want

Nick B

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/blogs/entry/16177-homework/

offers a Ardunio solution which could be modified   boards via that site are very cheap but does require a little work on your part

Nick,

Thank you, I did wonder if MERG would do something suitable, but not being a member, I don't know what they offer - they look perfect! Exactly what I was looking for. I guess I'll be joining at some point....

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

another shout-out for MERG here. I use around 15 of the servo4 units. Utterly reliable. I ahevnt checked the price recently but i seem ti remember paying about £5. However, you can buy the pcbs for pence from MERG and bulk-buy your own components and save a few quid,