Oak Hill Works - 3D printed kits of industrial and pre grouping locos and rolling stock

BlueLightning

• RMweb Gold

Hello everybody!

Some of you may know me as the guy who used to sit and model live on YouTube every weekend as Oak Hill Model Railway, and some as the co-owner/manager/head shill at Train Times Model Shop in Eastbourne.

While carrying out both these ventures I have been working behind the scenes on producing kits (along with acquiring rights to produce other peoples designs), and setting up to sell them commercially. So I'd like to introduce Oak Hill Works https://www.oakhillworks.co.uk/

There's quite a few industrial locos on there, some from the old Hardy's Hobbies range and many more to come, along with bits from the LBSC and SECR which are my main modelling interests, again with more to come, I already have more kits that I haven't had chance to print and test yet.

and sinec I'm launching this on Black Friday, there's a 10% discount on everything until the end of next Friday (1st December 2023) if you use the code blackfriday at the checkout.

I'd love some feedback from everyone as I start this exciting new venture.

Cheers,

Gary

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, BlueLightning said:

Hello everybody!

Some of you may know me as the guy who used to sit and model live on YouTube every weekend as Oak Hill Model Railway, and some as the co-owner/manager/head shill at Train Times Model Shop in Eastbourne.

While carrying out both these ventures I have been working behind the scenes on producing kits (along with acquiring rights to produce other peoples designs), and setting up to sell them commercially. So I'd like to introduce Oak Hill Works https://www.oakhillworks.co.uk/

There's quite a few industrial locos on there, some from the old Hardy's Hobbies range and many more to come, along with bits from the LBSC and SECR which are my main modelling interests, again with more to come, I already have more kits that I haven't had chance to print and test yet.

and sinec I'm launching this on Black Friday, there's a 10% discount on everything until the end of next Friday (1st December 2023) if you use the code blackfriday at the checkout.

I'd love some feedback from everyone as I start this exciting new venture.

Cheers,

Gary

Oh I say! They're rather tasty! 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good evening Gary,

Best wishes for your new business and the forthcoming models, especially anything SECR that emerges (Sheppey Light articulated coaches hint hint 😀).

One question please - is your resin/material the same as Hardy 's Hobbies used?

The reason for asking is that I had one of their industrial loco bodies that fractured when opening up handrail holes in the cab/bodyside and was a PITA to fix.

Cheers, Nigel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, GMKAT7 said:

is your resin/material the same as Hardy 's Hobbies used?

I don't actually know which resin Hardy's used, so unfortunately I can't answer that, I have however just put a hand drill through one of my wagon bodies I had siting around with no issues though. I've so far never had one of my models crack on my when opening up holes etc, only when dropping them, but there's never too much testing!

Gary

2023-11-2418_56_13.jpg.6e75b5aaaa6f4f6b0439a2ebd44f09f2.jpg2023-11-2418_55_59.jpg.9afd3fc0fde3c030e748f9688189275b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Glad I came across this thread, although I do look at your web site from time to time.

You know I am after a certain LBSCR horsebox, 🙂, but if there is anything LCDR, ( do not ask), then I may be tempted, but I have put the dumb buffered PO wagon on my Christmas list.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

You know I am after a certain LBSCR horsebox

Indeed I do, I'll have to nudge that certain designer, but I'll let them get Warley out of the way first! I've got a few LBSC rolling stock kits in the wings waiting to release once test prints are finished!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Woop woop woop!

Great to see the website shop up and running, especially with the new loco bodykits :)

A couple of quick things:

• The resin used is good - my Oakhill wagons are all good and strong, have taken my usual rough handling without complaint and the little bit of warping on one van roof and one wagon (operator error, they were supplied in perfect nick) was easily resolved with hot water and a former. I also had experience of a shattering Hardy's product, but have no fears with these.
  • Some very tempting loco bodies there...but (and I hate to be this guy, sorry!) are there other Manning Wardle H cab variants in the pipeline?

Overall a really good development of the hobby, well done all!

Edited by Schooner
sp.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Glad you are happy with the wagons! Always nice to have feedback, even nicer if it's positive 😛

4 hours ago, Schooner said:

are there other Manning Wardle H cab variants in the pipeline?

I hope so.....

2023-12-0616_25_52.jpg.a019ac735629b2c6d762f8d85cc602ec.jpg

The H is one of @TurboSnail's designs, last time I spoke to him about it he was planning to update the CAD of each version with more details before sending them over to me. I don't know what the current status of that is though (Hopefully the ping will get us an answer)

Gary

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Schooner said:

Not like I'm short of things to be getting on with in the meantime

You and me both 🤣

Day off work tomorrow, so I'll be adding more kits to the website! (Currently have 7 kits waiting for photos to be taken, some test building, and adding to the website!)

Gary

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Glad to hear that the Hardy’s range is being resurrected. Attached is a picture of my HH 14” Bagnall, modified to resemble Devonport Dockyard Railway No.18 as in service with a HH footplate crew. It is awaiting wasp stripes and coal (which I have), plates (which I can get from Planet Industrials) and Devonport Dockyard livery, which cannot be bought separately. I am tempted by one of the Avonsides as the dockyard had one of these in roughly the right timeframe. I will be keeping an eye on the website this week! 

713EEE9D-1A84-4849-98BD-F6DF10D1E8E7.jpeg

B26378D9-44AA-4E82-87F9-47C61BF714F5.jpeg

P.s. I have no idea how to get photos the right way up!

Edited by ovbulleid
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

My HH 14" RSH, I still have several kits waiting in my "roundtoit" pile but hopefully will add a few more especially if the Avonside  with welded tank is released so I can do a Cranford 😀

PSX_20231208_125841.jpg

PSX_20231208_125808.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

New website up and running! With all 4 kits seen above plus more added to the kits we already had!

https://www.oakhillworks.co.uk/

Feedback as always appreciated, typos by DM (Because while I know I wouldn't make a typo, my old teachers and the exam board disagree! 😛)

Gary

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 2

On 21/12/2023 at 23:44, BlueLightning said:

Can't wait...

...so it seems! Was very surprised at what arrived in the morning post - that's an unreasonably fast turnaround, didn't expect it till into the new year. Bang out of excuses not to do a little Yuletide modelling it seems...!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope you've had a good time and got lots of nice new railway things!

I've got a couple of new bits coming out for you this week, including something that I'm sure will make @ChrisN very happy!

image.png.1d55c8a5f4b95ad44cac5ea19e553ed7.png

A nice LBSC horsebox is on it's way to Oak Hill Works, along with a few other bits, including some new locos, I expect I'll have one of the printers going all day tomorrow to get things ready to release for you!

Thanks for looking in, and for all the support so far!

Gary

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope you've had a good time and got lots of nice new railway things!

I've got a couple of new bits coming out for you this week, including something that I'm sure will make @ChrisN very happy!

A nice LBSC horsebox is on it's way to Oak Hill Works, along with a few other bits, including some new locos, I expect I'll have one of the printers going all day tomorrow to get things ready to release for you!

Gary

Just too late for Christmas.  🙂

I believe/hope something from your shop is wending its way to me for Christmas.  (We had Christmas a weekend ago, yesterday, tomorrow and Thursday.  This is the fun of having three sons with families and seeing them at different times.)

This will either have to wait for next Christmas, or much more likely I will order it as soon as it is on your web site.  (Well, soon after it appearing.)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BlueLightning said:

Gary

Very nice... but that's an LSWR horsebox, not an LBSC one! Don't get the two muddled up... :P

For those wondering, the render of the LBSC one (a Stroudley D53) looks like this: 

d904392c-ef49-4e3a-befa-6f4a2d988637.PNG.c8f17ff6353b34b9bd7d5e434d51a6f5.PNG

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1