Changing 00 to N gauge

Tug

• RMweb Gold

I've just started back doing some n gauge (as an aside to my main 4mm OO and 3.5mm HO stuff) using code 55. I used to swear that I would never go back to N, as my eyesight has gotten worse over the years, but, as i've started to use a magnifier for 4mm, it's isn't much different for N. And tbh, it's been not a lot different wiring and laying track, just a need to be a bit quicker in and out with the soldering iron, but that's about it. All frogs wired up to polarity switches, so hopefully that should cause a problem. I haven't fully wired it up to test yet, but something that's a job for tomorrow evening.

One thing that has tempted me back to do some N gauge is my nephew. As he's more a fan of the contemporary scene, it's so much easier to fit the longer train and wagon lengths in in N gauge. He has a Kato Class 800 IET, and we've managed to fit a terminus to fiddle yard layout in just over 9 feet length. It also allows for reasonably long modern freight trains, for instance, a Class 66 + 6 JIA China Clay hoppers. I'm rather tempted to build a small shunting layout with some china clay dries.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 25/11/2023 at 10:33, Tug said:

Thanks for all the answers, I think I will stick with 00 as my eyes are not that good, plus shakes hands.

but thanks lads, it’s been very helpful. Tim 

Some exquisite modelling and one "it's too small for old fingers and eyes" and you make your mind up? 

Can I suggest you pay a visit to your local N Gauge Society Area Group and get hands on with the actual models? You'd be more than welcome at a Yorkshire Area Group meeting.

Alternatively, a few Peco wagons or a Gaugemaster starter set (GM2000105) will let you get a feel for the scale without a massive outlay.

Steven B

Edited by Steven B
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

In fairness I do think N is a bit more fiddly than OO/HO but it's a question of degree rather than night and day difference and given some models in larger scales are trying to maximise separately applied parts and are reaching a point where removing the things from the box can cause anxiety I am not sure N should be criticised on the point. Many of my N models have skirted/faired in bogies so a pain to put on the track without a re-railer, but a cheap as chips re-railer does the job.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hibelroad said:

I’m puzzled, this started as a request for advice on the most suitable N gauge track but seems to have morphed into a 00 vs N discussion. What advice is the op actually seeking? 

It wasn't just track, that is basically where the responses began as that sort of hints at what the OP wanted to achieve and then the discussion can widen to manufacturers of stock etc.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Hibelroad said:

I’m puzzled, this started as a request for advice on the most suitable N gauge track but seems to have morphed into a 00 vs N discussion. What advice is the op actually seeking? 

The op has decided against N now.