The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Shane MacGowan RIP

Dagworth

• Dagworth changed the title to Shane MacGowan RIP

I think that the Pogues in Leeds in 86 was the hottest, sweatiest gig I ever went to. It was a cold night and when I came out of the student union, my trousers steamed like a race horse!!

He drank a bottle of wine between songs. And sometimes a guinness instead. As is said above, it's a wonder he lived as long as he did.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The first time I saw them he basically drank a bottle of something (it looked a lot stronger than wine, whisky I would guess) and when it was empty that was the end of the concert. The last time I saw him he looked properly rough, like a very old man and his voice was shot, it was sad as he was an incredible stage performer in his prime. The album 'Rum, and the Lash' remains a brilliant piece of work. RiP.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The last of the Irish Rovers, even if he was born in Kent.  The rough exterior hid a brilliant and sensitive lyricist; the same song that featured 'you scumbag, you maggot, you cheap lousy ', one of my all-time favourites, also had 'I kept them with me, babe, I put them with my own' about Kirsty's broken dreams; brilliant stuff!  RIP Shane.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Saw them at the Brixton Academy around 2005 and I think they had had a bit more practice at holding their liquor by then…it was a very entertaining evening.

We then had The Fairy Tale of New York as the first dance at our wedding, the funny bit was seeing the faces of people as they clicked onto what the song was…

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was a huge fan of the Pogues. I shall never forget seeing them at the Reading Hexagon in the late eighties; a wild, riotous performance like I’d never seen before, or since. I wonder if Shane will be dancing now to the Turkish Song of the Damned.

Edited by The Pilotman
  • Like 1