Sound for analogue steam engines

Coromar

I don't want to divert your question, as I'm not aware of  sound for analogue locos. But as far as the DCC rabbit hole is concerned, I will assure you that DCC, and DCC Sound transform operation with smooth movement, braking and acceleration, all sorts of secondary sounds like brakes, whistles, squealing wheels on curves, and plenty more. Yes, it's an initial outlay, but if you are shunting especially, it's great fun.

15 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

We've all done it!

Better get The Johnster in!

More seriously, some DCC sound chips can produce appropriate sounds automatically when run on DC, but thats a fairly expensive approach. 

Train Tech* make self contained sound modules for steam, diesel and electric locos which sense movement and don't have to be wired in, and are priced around 40 to 50 quid.

eg: https://www.hattons.co.uk/75949/train_tech_sfx10_sound_capsule_battery_powered_express_steam_locomotive/stockdetail

I bought one of the Diesel sound versions to put in a Hornby Railroad Class 31 some time ago, and it worked well enough to give some ambience to operations.

* Now part of the Gaugemaster empire.

Edited by Hroth
Illustrative link, some tidying and a bit extra
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

To make a DCC decoder produce sounds on DC you'll need a high end decoder, for example ESU Loksound or Zimo MX400 series. None of the Hornby sound decoders will made a noise on DC. So budget around £130 for a decoder and speaker. The sound effects will be limited, as there's no way of invoking say a whistle or horn, though the sounds will change as the throttle is opened and closed.

One thing to watch for is when bringing the loco to a stop the sound will go off as the voltage across the rails falls below a certain voltage, from memory around 5 volts. With practice you can find which position on the controller will keep the sound playing without the loco moving.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I had 2 Dapol Jinties that I fitted Zimo sound decoders to. I got them from Youchoos they set them to work on a DC layout for me and they worked fine. You dont get to control all the options via DC though it just gives you the chuff matched to the speed. I hope this answers your question. I'm sure Loksound decoders do the same if you have the DC option turned on.

48 minutes ago, sncf231e said:

My Hornby R845 from the seventies has  chuff-chuff sound (from the tender). It is mechanical.

P1130910.JPG.cdb74d73f6e3aa0e19044bd8db386d00.JPG

Regards

Fred

I didn't want to mention the Hornby lo-tech sound option earlier...  Didn't R845 have the glowing firebox too?  I know the M7 of the same era had that as well as an opening smokebox door to reveal the boiler tubes, though it didn't have room for a chuffing mechanism!

The old B12 had the chuffer box too.

I found it preferable to move the scraper on the axle sideways and make the chuffing sounds myself!

Edited by Hroth
Missing "h", now inserted...

• RMweb Gold

Back in the day before DCC came along there were a plethora of sound modules available that basically produced hissing sounds that supposedly mimicked steam engines - I built one for my then N gauge layout. Not great, but possibly better than nothing.

They mostly seem to have disappeared now, but I found this which looks pretty good to me and may be of interest:  (no connection whatsoever with the product or the seller, just passing on information)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/375046870439?hash=item57528915a7:g:sE4AAOSwJWFab3Ty

Sound_ad.jpg.e3bd9b0838d57f26268ef2badcfcdae4.jpg

Sound_im.jpg.a448c21937a39f2bbf6671aca76328bc.jpg

Sound_desc.jpg.c70674c86ad96812a658b4bda4fc201a.jpg

Hi, have a look at traxcontrols.com on the internet. They do sound modules and speakers which alter the chuff relative to the voltage applied. They are meant for larger ride on engines, but I have successfully used one under my o gauge shunting layout with the sound unit sensing wires connected to the controller output. Placing the speaker in a suitable box enhances the bass. Kevin.

Thanks, Coromar. This has been a really interesting thread to follow. We have heard about the various technologies from very early attempts to get steam sounds, right up to the point where the genuinely useful discussion covered really good sound decoders that might usefully be installed in an analogue model, but won't perform to the full range of their capabilities.

Funds, space, and time always conspire to derail our modelling ambitions; they can hold us back. It's the improving technologies - those that have given us better quality mouldings, exceptional printed liveries and paint finishes, finer detail, and the many elements of finer control - that pull us forward and keep us going.

Earlier attempts at sound, smoke, lights and other effects failed for a reason, and I suspect that analogue control will go the same way in years to come. 35 years ago I messed about with the alarm from an electric alarm clock, stuck it in a tunnel and kidded myself it might represent the sound of an approaching diesel loco horn. It was discarded in minutes.

If sound is needed - perhaps expected - in a loco nowadays, it seems logical to embrace the best technology we can afford and install a system that, from the outset, simply does everything that it says on the tin. That's why I think using DCC is ultimately the fairest answer to Coromar's question.

Postscript - Just a thought.

I first received a Triang Princess with two blood and custard coaches for Christmas 1956. My passengers had to jump the gap between fixed, inflexible corridor connections. In 2023, at fifty or sixty quid a coach, they still do. Now there's a manufacturers' techno-challenge to update the fleet!

13 hours ago, aac said:

Postscript - Just a thought.

I first received a Triang Princess with two blood and custard coaches for Christmas 1956. My passengers had to jump the gap between fixed, inflexible corridor connections. In 2023, at fifty or sixty quid a coach, they still do. Now there's a manufacturers' techno-challenge to update the fleet!

With all the attention to detail, sound and prototypical operation, using also DCC, it might seem that were are getting into accurate model railwaying. However, untill we are going to use radii of some 20 feet, we are still playing toys.

Regards

Fred

• Like 2
  • Agree 1